Bible Black RP (System)

Started by godfang, October 15, 2013, 07:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

I'm fine either way. Rapture seems more of a "We're all in it for a good time" style of system. And unlike White Wolf, it seems that it can be done without a storyteller, so long as the players have leeway in playing NPCs for flavor.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Datawych

It seems like both the Rapture Academy setting and the Bible Black setting work betting using option 1 than option 2. All of the PCs' goals are far too varied for them all to find one specific thing for them all to work towards.

A few observations:

• Almost none of Bible Black's story takes place during class. Most of it is about the students' lives before/after school, and it's just sort of implied that normal school activities take place offscreen, for the most part. This would make it so that someone would only have to play a teacher (or other NPC-like character) if they wanted to, rather than necessitating them to advance the story past more mundane parts. A possible solution: create a few sheets for NPCs that we think we will need. If a PC wants to interact with them, we assume that the NPC always gets the average number of successes. Ex: A teacher with a Chastise of 4 is chastising a student for being late to class. Assuming average rolls, that means the PC would have to exceed 2 successes to get out of trouble. That way PCs can still lose contests and get themselves into bad situations, but without the need for a GM to always post their reactions.
  • The RA system seems to have a very heavy emphasis on PC-vs-PC encounters, rather than PC-vs-NPC encounters, so all of the PCs sharing a common goal seems contrary to the spirit of the game's purpose.

Videospirit

Yeah, the game can play as a sandbox quite easily, but than it becomes focused entirely on the characters. Gossip becomes awkward to use because there's no dm providing plot relevant rumours, npcs become less important, and the only plots the characters will have to deal with are those started by the other pcs. When in reality, the various teachers, clubs, and important members of every house, and dark forces lurking on the darkside of reality or on the other side of the looking glass should all have their own agendas as well that makes the plans of the pcs terribly twisted and complicated and filled with unforseen obstacles.

If you're worried you might not be up to the task, I could come onboard as a co-storyteller if you like. I REALLY like the plot idea you have going here, and would hate for it to suffer because it's so hard to do it justice by yourself.

Jr

I think having a common goal, if not a common cause, would help the game along quite a bit. My suggestion is that we all want the book for different reasons. That way, the GM has a coherent plot to enforce and the PCs have plenty of reason to form shaky alliances or bitter rivalries. I think that's closer to what Godfang had in mind when this whole thing started.

godfang

Quote from: Jr on October 21, 2013, 09:12:05 PM
I think having a common goal, if not a common cause, would help the game along quite a bit. My suggestion is that we all want the book for different reasons. That way, the GM has a coherent plot to enforce and the PCs have plenty of reason to form shaky alliances or bitter rivalries. I think that's closer to what Godfang had in mind when this whole thing started.

it kinda is, that's a very good point. It would REALLY help me out alot if the characters are seeking out the book.

Let's put it this way. I will be more likely react to you when you prompt me by asking me for a roll (gossip, study, etc) or when you decide to approach an NPC

Eobelle

I just saw this post and read through the Rapture academy system...

For the love of god, and all that is holy, please tell me there is still room in this game!

Angie

godfang

Quote from: Angiejuusan on October 21, 2013, 09:28:54 PM
There is indeed!

hey, i'm the gm, don't put words in my mouth!.....but yes, there's room if you're willing to learn the system together with us :D

Videospirit

We need to have another rapture academy game setup, just for people to play with all the nastiness this system has to offer.

Getting her hands on the book will become important to Amy once she learns of its existence(It might be able to get rid of the demon possessing her). The non humans want it to become more human too, and the mages want it because they're mages. The Gym teacher probably would enjoy having the power to mind control the female student body. Not sure about the mad scientists.

Angie

Quote from: Videospirit on October 21, 2013, 09:36:09 PM
We need to have another rapture academy game setup, just for people to play with all the nastiness this system has to offer.

Getting her hands on the book will become important to Amy once she learns of its existence(It might be able to get rid of the demon possessing her). The non humans want it to become more human too, and the mages want it because they're mages. The Gym teacher probably would enjoy having the power to mind control the female student body. Not sure about the mad scientists.
Obviously, it would be able to reveal the secrets of the human heart, and how to manipulate it. This is a major advancement for SCIENCE!

godfang

how about dividing into two groups then? one for a bible black  inspired game (of which i am the dm) the other one for a more traditional rapture academy game in which it's either sandbox, or someone else gms?

Angie

I could gm it. Use the base setting. Have a rolickin' good time.

Jr

Quote from: Videospirit on October 21, 2013, 09:36:09 PMNot sure about the mad scientists.
I mentioned Shiro's motive in my first IC post.

Yukina

Not sure about the mad scientists.

Suzume would probably be assisting Sarah in her goals.

Angie

Quote from: Yugishogun on October 21, 2013, 10:09:57 PM
Suzume would probably be assisting Sarah in her goals.
So, the mad scientist is the minion? That seems a little odd.

Yukina

Quote from: Angiejuusan on October 21, 2013, 10:18:13 PM
So, the mad scientist is the minion? That seems a little odd.

A nice role reversal. :)

Eobelle

Hmm, I might be more into the basic rapture academy game...  but Bible black is also interesting.  Choices, choices. 

Videospirit

I'm probably just a tad more interested in the bible black setting. Rapture academy can get a little weird even for me if you include everything.

Jr

I'd like to stick with the Bible Black game as well, even if it means we have to alter our characters a bit.

godfang

i'm obviously gonna play in the rapture one (even though i prefer a bible black setting, but i'm dming that one)

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Datawych on October 21, 2013, 08:03:28 PM
It seems like both the Rapture Academy setting and the Bible Black setting work betting using option 1 than option 2. All of the PCs' goals are far too varied for them all to find one specific thing for them all to work towards.

A few observations:

• Almost none of Bible Black's story takes place during class. Most of it is about the students' lives before/after school, and it's just sort of implied that normal school activities take place offscreen, for the most part. This would make it so that someone would only have to play a teacher (or other NPC-like character) if they wanted to, rather than necessitating them to advance the story past more mundane parts. A possible solution: create a few sheets for NPCs that we think we will need. If a PC wants to interact with them, we assume that the NPC always gets the average number of successes. Ex: A teacher with a Chastise of 4 is chastising a student for being late to class. Assuming average rolls, that means the PC would have to exceed 2 successes to get out of trouble. That way PCs can still lose contests and get themselves into bad situations, but without the need for a GM to always post their reactions.
  • The RA system seems to have a very heavy emphasis on PC-vs-PC encounters, rather than PC-vs-NPC encounters, so all of the PCs sharing a common goal seems contrary to the spirit of the game's purpose.

She wins a cookie. I'd go with option one.

As for Bible Black or Rapture. Why should we choose or limit ourselves settings wise? I don't understand why we need two settings. Is it because people haven't stuck with the humans only situation? Okay that's probably not an issue that couldn't be resolved with some tweaking of the character to fit or explanation.

Also the new issue becomes keeping two possible undermanned games alive and more then likely both would wind up dying.

Still I created my character in the same parameters so he could potentially fit into the bible black setting.

godfang

@hyena: someone said we should have a 2nd Rapture Academy thread, i offered that one of them be set in the rapture academy universe while the other one will use a modified version to be more of a bible black setting, this way the two threads will be sufficiently different and we can split into two smaller groups (easier for dms)

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: godfang on October 22, 2013, 07:39:20 AM
@hyena: someone said we should have a 2nd Rapture Academy thread, i offered that one of them be set in the rapture academy universe while the other one will use a modified version to be more of a bible black setting, this way the two threads will be sufficiently different and we can split into two smaller groups (easier for dms)

Well how in depth is the setting for bible black? How much can we draw off it for potential plot or hooks? I dunno, it just seems like merging raptures details into the academy itself seems best whilst keeping the core of the lore intact.

Jr

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on October 22, 2013, 08:09:51 AM
Well how in depth is the setting for bible black? How much can we draw off it for potential plot or hooks? I dunno, it just seems like merging raptures details into the academy itself seems best whilst keeping the core of the lore intact.
The setting is one particular high school in regular modern Japan where some occult shit went down. The entire canon consists of two brief series and a visual novel. I've only seen the first series, but I assume they're all about the mysterious spellbook. The reason it wouldn't mesh well with a regular RA game is because the Black Bible was the only known spellbook and there was only one futa, whose existence was a big deal.

Videospirit

And we were never going to use the bible black setting straight out, just the premise.

And I'd say we had enough interested parties for two games.

As for bible black and rapture academy, the main conflicts are the world was MOSTLY normal, although there were plenty of magic users besides the people who had the black bible. The black bible's magic was just supremely powerful compared to them. Also, now that I think about it, "mad science" was not completely inappropriate to the setting, coming in the form of incredibly effective lust drugs.

No futa virus(Although bible black had other futas throughout the series besides the original teacher, magic got around), no furries, no tentacle beasts or shadow world, no diabolical sex robots or vat/womb grown monsters made by mad scientists, everyone had pure human ancestry, and magic available to those without the black bible was mostly about wards and fighting. There were however a shit load of demons, some of which had tentacles.