Viking Raiding Game

Started by Primarch, October 24, 2008, 05:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

Hey folks, Lyonene and I are starting a game set around Vikings and some poor ladies caught in there raids. We'll be setting up two introduction threads, one set on the longboats to introduce the Vikings and one at a festival night to introduce the ladies.

I'll be posting links to the introduction threads soon enough, anyone interested?

VandalSavage

I am definitely interested.

I await further details as to the setting.

Samhain

Lyonene

The setting will be low fantasy (think 13th Warrior). The village is a prosperous seaside community only lightly guarded by thralls and a small group of shield maidens sworn to protect a shrine to the goddess Sif on the outskirts of the village which is, by the way, preparing for a harvest festival to honor the return of their warriors from the raiding season. The mead is ready, the beer kegs ready to be tapped, and the ovens have been on day and night as the men are expected to return at any time.

I assume Primarch's raiders will beach their longboats some distance from town and sneak up on foot. It's the end of their raiding season as well; the village is ripe for the plucking and, well, it's sort of on the way. ;)

Sound good?

I will be playing one of the village defenders, a tall and spirited warrior maid named Lena. Please feel free to PM Primarch or me with your questions if you don't want to ask them here.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."

Ons and Offs!

Samhain

I'd prefer to play a non warrior more of just a local woman who's husband perhaps is about to return.

VandalSavage

Quote from: Lyonene on October 24, 2008, 12:08:40 PM
Sound good?

Sounds very good.

It sounds like you're thinking of the region being Scandanavian.  About what time period did you have in mind?  The scrappy early raids of the 8th and early 9th centuries, or when Vikings were roaming the western world in the 9th and 10th, or when they were beginning to settle by the 11th?

Samhain

any time is okay with me. I can adapt.  :P

Lyonene

Quote from: VandalSavage on October 24, 2008, 12:29:34 PM
Sounds very good.

It sounds like you're thinking of the region being Scandanavian.  About what time period did you have in mind?  The scrappy early raids of the 8th and early 9th centuries, or when Vikings were roaming the western world in the 9th and 10th, or when they were beginning to settle by the 11th?

I was hoping for something similar to the early ninth century, before the raiders became terribly interested in settling the softer lands to the south. Maybe a ruling from Primarch just to be sure?
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."

Ons and Offs!

VandalSavage

Quote from: Lyonene on October 24, 2008, 01:33:45 PM
I was hoping for something similar to the early ninth century, before the raiders became terribly interested in settling the softer lands to the south. Maybe a ruling from Primarch just to be sure?

Splendid.  Certainly my favorite period.

Once we hear from Primarch, I will have an idea of who to play.

shadowheart

Have you room for another poor victim?  If so I am in. :)

Hunter

Just remember: It's Rape, Then Pillage, THEN Burn.

Not the other way around.   :P

shadowheart

Rape the cattle, pillage the houses, burn the women ... ermm ... wait.

*looks at the rules again* 

AHHH right, got it now .. *g*

(actually as one who hopes to be one of the women in the village I can only say, please get the rape part in the right order :P )

Primarch

Yep that's the time period I had in mind, I'll set up my introduction thread now and my fellow vikings can join me. Sharpen axes boys there's raiding to be done!

Lyonene

I'll do my best to put something together after work today, ladies, but it might be fairly late in the day before we're up and running. Close/open shifts are a pain. Ugh.

*Trudges off for a lovely day in Retail Hell*

Ons and Offs!

Primarch

VandalSavage

Great.

I will be writing for Jormund Sigurdsson, once of the raiding party's hometown, long time gone a' Viking down the Volkov river, into the Rus lands, and only recently returned.  He bears the axe of his father, but his ways are now affected by the decadence of the golden empires to the south.  Still, the iron of his mail is heavy enough with the reek of battles to subdue what hint of Arab spices might linger on him.

He has two secrets, both to be revealed with clues over time, one I will be contacting a fellow player about, OOC, as things progress.

For now, to raiding.

Primarch

Cool, feel free to join the thread.

Hunter

Quote from: shadowheart on October 24, 2008, 06:39:19 PM
Rape the cattle, pillage the houses, burn the women ... ermm ... wait.

*looks at the rules again* 

AHHH right, got it now .. *g*

(actually as one who hopes to be one of the women in the village I can only say, please get the rape part in the right order :P )

Wait, rape the cattle?  Since when did we get back to Scotland?   (And yes, I'm part Scottish).  HIDE THE SHEEP!

Milanthe

This game sounds fun to me, I might join in with a post in the morning.  (10pm where I am) nighty night!
Back from the deadish...  I hope...  Is deadish a word?

Primarch

Cool, just waiting on Lyonene to set up a thread for the maidens so you can introduce your characters, and a little bit of that we'll get to a joint thread.

Lyonene

Yeah, guys. I've been hella sick all week and I'm sorry I haven't been able to get anything together but it's all I can do to stay awake right now.

Someone else can feel free to start us up if they're sick of waiting; I don't have much energy to put into the intro post as I'd like. *LOUD sneezes*

Ons and Offs!

Muse

Hm...  Since you don't seem to be posting too fast, and you have quite a few more ladies signed on than lords, maybe I can pull this off...  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Primarch

Sorry to hear about it Lyonene! Get better soon k?

Well em...if any of you lady folk want to set up an intro thread?

The Dark Raven

If oyu need another lady, let me know.  I took a class on Celtic history :D  Love the time period.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Primarch

Always a case of the more the merrier. Although without an introduction thread for you ladies set up there's no-where to post, although...I suppose I could just go ahead and set up the main event thread....