WYSIWYG Preview?

Started by Jeno Veritas, December 16, 2010, 08:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeno Veritas

I am wondering why the preview before making a post isn't WYSIWYG? Especially when formatting a post with pics.

I tried enabling this feature in Look and Layout in "Forum Profile", it did not work when I clicked "Preview" before making a post.

Could someone advise?

Thank you.
[tr][td]
O/O[/td][td]
A/A[/td][td]StoryTeller's Cafe[/td][td]Want to be a mentor?
[/td][td]
HP?[/td][/tr][/table]

Lilias

I'm not sure what WYSIWYG means, but images embedded in posts will not show unless they are uploaded to the Elluiki.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get.

Also, images in posts aren't restricted to Elluiki - only images in signatures.

@BenIgna:  What specific behavior are you seeing?  I've done quite a few posts with pictures, and preview hasn't given me any real problems yet.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jeno Veritas

Oniya,

For example:

Picture #1
Picture #2
If I were to use preview to see what I am going to post wth the pciture here, I would see most probably 2 lines and when posted, it may be 3 lines. I hope this helps. [Random typing Random typing Random typing Random typing Random typing Random typing Random typing Random typing Random typing Random typing Random typing Random typing]
[tr][td]
O/O[/td][td]
[/td][td]
HP?[/td][/tr][/table]

Lilias

It looks fine to me, at least. Have you tried clearing out your cookies and cache?
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Jeno Veritas

Ah those are the culprits huh?

Okay, shall try that.

Thanks.
[tr][td]
O/O[/td][td]
[/td][td]
HP?[/td][/tr][/table]

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Oniya

I see.  It's something that's going to be more apparent with image posts because of the shorter text line, but that's something I have noticed also - the preview display line-length is different than the actual display line-length. 

I'm not sure why that is, but if it's something that's essential to the formatting of the post, perhaps using hard returns instead of relying on word-wrap might be a work-around?  In my case, it's never come to that level of precision.

EDIT:  To clarify for others - when I did a preview on this post before editing, the line broke at 'line-length', and 'of precision'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jeno Veritas

Oniya,

At times it is of good use if the preview shows the same as when we post. It would be more painful if I were to use the table function in a post and needed to know if I have placed the pictures in the correct position of a post.

It looks like I would have to post it, look at it then if its not right, modify it. :D

[tr][td]
O/O[/td][td]
[/td][td]
HP?[/td][/tr][/table]

Caeli

That's because in your actual post, the profile section of the forum posts (the part with your avatar, your username, and so on) adds an extra 180 pixels or so to the width of the forums. The preview does not include that section of the post.

Quote from: BenIgna on December 16, 2010, 08:51:37 AM
Oniya,

At times it is of good use if the preview shows the same as when we post. It would be more painful if I were to use the table function in a post and needed to know if I have placed the pictures in the correct position of a post.

It looks like I would have to post it, look at it then if its not right, modify it. :D

There is actually no way to get this exactly correct, because even if you use your browser at a certain width, others might not. For example, I believe I have a 1400px-width desktop, but I'll sometimes make my window smaller or larger, depending on what I'm doing - and that in turn affects how posts look in my browser.

Really, all you can do is to take out about 200px worth of "space" to account for what you don't see in the preview.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Jeno Veritas

Thank you Caeli for that information. I shall keep that in mind.

[tr][td]
O/O[/td][td]
[/td][td]
HP?[/td][/tr][/table]