News:

Main Menu

Star Craft 2

Started by Acid Lips, July 25, 2010, 04:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteyChan

Quote from: Hemingway on August 05, 2010, 11:57:06 AM
Easy? But easy is like ... really easy. How did you beat the campaign ...? xD

I mean, no offense. I suck at strategy games, when it's competetive. I prefer playing at my own pace. But still - it's not that different? Just have to get the economy going strong, and make sure you're always building.

I can't micromanage, that's the problem :P I can't build the structures I need whilst at the same time building up an army and also controlling the units I have. Other games allow me to usually focus on just one aspect, and the campaign definitely let me do that, but in versus.... I can't even survive the AI's first rush xD

Hemingway

Quote from: WhiteyChan on August 05, 2010, 12:40:12 PM
I can't micromanage, that's the problem :P I can't build the structures I need whilst at the same time building up an army and also controlling the units I have. Other games allow me to usually focus on just one aspect, and the campaign definitely let me do that, but in versus.... I can't even survive the AI's first rush xD

Your problem is you micromanage too much! Just practice, and you'll get the hang of it. I'm trying to work up the nerve to go online myself. I just know I'll get my ass kicked back into the stone age.

Remiel

Mrmm, build order tends to have something to do with it too.  In the single-player missions, my strategy would always be to crank out as many SCVs as I could, as fast as a I could, and only then concentrate on building an army;  in the multiplayer arena, you have to be prepared for an early rush.  With Terran, I like to go

SCV
SCV
SCV
supply depot
SCV
barracks
SCV
SCV
refinery, etc.

once you have the barracks up, keep cranking out those marines and don't stop.  [Edit]  Then I like to build a second barracks.  Once I have two barracks cranking out marines, then I like to go to siege tanks.  Once I feel reasonably secure that my base is rush-proof, then I look for possible areas to expand.

Geeklet

While I am still going through the campaign, and havent done vs yet, I've heard that there is actually less micro in this version than the original version. Main things I've heard are to constantly be making workers to keep resources coming in so you seldom if ever get the "not enough minerals/we require more vespine gas" and having the buildings you do have constantly churning out units or working on something.

Aiden

Terran Up the Night - Starcraft 2

Don't watch if you have not beat the game...has possible spoiler vid clips.

mannik

If people are still getting groups together to play online, I'm down....though I'm using my dad's account at the moment until I can pick up my own copy of the game (Kinda hard considering I don't have a job or money at the moment.)

Screen name: SirFartzalot

My dad only plays offline, so it will most likey be me if you see this screen name online.

Dunnuck

:O! ME TOO!!! i thought i was the only one...

Kineas

Quote from: mannik on August 05, 2010, 11:59:38 PM
If people are still getting groups together to play online, I'm down....though I'm using my dad's account at the moment until I can pick up my own copy of the game (Kinda hard considering I don't have a job or money at the moment.)

Screen name: SirFartzalot

My dad only plays offline, so it will most likey be me if you see this screen name online.

You gotta post your friend ID number thingy. Took me forever to find the stupid thing, but if you click the friends icon in the lower right of the main screen, it's in super small font in the upper right of the add friends box (if i recall correctly.) My screen name is Azure, and my number thing is 646. Add meh!

mannik

Oops....ok, I think mine's 414. And it wasn't from the friends box, I had to hover the mouse cursor over my profile picture.

also, I'm in the bronze league in case that matters.

Quote from: Dunnuck on August 06, 2010, 01:30:32 AM
:O! ME TOO!!! i thought i was the only one...

The trick is knowing the short cuts....like the shift key. I LOVE the shift key. (Hold shift and execute an order, and it is added to the queue so you could have them move on a specific path, build buildings in a certain order, or my favorite, build a building then get back to work mining as soon as its done.)

Also, double click or ctrl + click to select all of a certain type of unit currently on screen, shift + select a unit adds it to the current selection and ctrl + number key creates a command group from the current selection which makes it easier to issue commands to your units in the midsts of battle because all you need to do to select them is press the corrisponding number key. You can also make a command group from buildings so you can build units without having to move the camera back to your base.

also, don't forget rally points (Right click with a unit producing building) This makes any newly trained unit go directly to the rally point, so you can mass an army at your entrance a bit easier, or move to reinforce your units in the field. Also, from your main building, if you set the rally point on a mineral or refinery when the builder is made they get right to work without needing to be told what to do. Can save precious seconds.

Hope that helps you micro manage your vast army of destruction!

Kineas

Oosh, you won't really wanna play -against- me then, i just finally finished my preliminaries and I got placed in platinum ;3  However, yeah, feel free to add me and maybe I'll help you improve a bit =D

Good advice-ing all around. I usually find that if someone's having too much trouble, they don't have enough workers gathering resources.

mannik

Quote from: Kineas on August 07, 2010, 01:45:17 AM
Oosh, you won't really wanna play -against- me then, i just finally finished my preliminaries and I got placed in platinum ;3  However, yeah, feel free to add me and maybe I'll help you improve a bit =D

Good advice-ing all around. I usually find that if someone's having too much trouble, they don't have enough workers gathering resources.

You know, its funny but when I play a quick match, 9 times out of 10 I'm against someone in the gold or platinum league.....makes getting that zealot face (10 1v1 victories as protoss) a lot harder than it needs to be. But when it does stick me against another bronze leaguer I usually wipe the floor with them.....they don't know how to defend against a fleet of carriers so good.

And I was trying to give advice on micro managing specifically. Not having enough workers really isn't a problem with micro managing, but rather just not investing enough resources into a strong economy.....or someone managed to sneak a dark templar into your mineral fields....

which brings me to my next gameplay hint. PROTECT YOUR DAMNED WORKERS!!! They are usually the first target in a rush and the last thing you want to do is spend thousands of minerals and several minutes rebuilding your economy while your opponent continues to amass his forces by the dozens.

WhiteyChan

Well, looks like my problem was not enough resources :P My friend code thingie is 265, if anyone wants to add me and help me further my improvement :D

mannik

Quote from: WhiteyChan on August 10, 2010, 12:08:44 PM
Well, looks like my problem was not enough resources :P My friend code thingie is 265, if anyone wants to add me and help me further my improvement :D

Sure, I'll add you. We can do a few Co-op games against the computer so you can work on your build order and speed.

-edit-
Kinda need screen name AND character code....

WhiteyChan

Aiden