Microsoft Word

Started by StrawberryDream, December 07, 2014, 10:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrawberryDream

I need word on my computer but all I see is Office and you have to pay monthly. I normally use Google Drive but I need Word for school sometimes. Can anyone help me? I have a Windows 8 computer.

Lilias

OpenOffice is free and does the same job as the Microsoft suite. :-)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

BAMF

+1 to Lilas - OpenOffice is great. And the files are saved in the same way, so if you send in an assignment via e-mail to your professor that you wrote in OpenOffice, they are able to open it in Word.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Valthazar

Open Office is good, but just remember to save it as .doc/.docx and not .odt in the "Save As" menu.  I have no issues when I receive .odt files, but some people less familiar with computers have trouble opening these files in Word (either have a very old version of Word, or don't have the necessary add-on, etc.). 

Also, check with your campus bookstore, there is a very good chance you can buy MS Word for $10-15 dollars through your college.

consortium11

As well as OpenOffice there's also LibreOffice; for the vast majority of word processing you'll barely notice a difference between the two but Libre is updated somewhat more frequently and has a number of functions I find useful.

Both give you pretty much all the functionality of Microsoft Office (especially the word processing) but for free. As Valthazar mentions you'll need to make sure you do a "save as" and change the file type to .doc/.docx if you want people who use Word to be able to display your files but otherwise there's no real drawbacks.

The change of Microsoft Office to a subscription format is known as Office 365 and follows a trend within software licensing to move to a recurring rather than one-off payment model. I don't have access to the US site but on the UK one you can still buy office as a one-off (the basic version containing Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote is £110). Perhaps of more use to you may be Office Online; it's an online Microsoft Office suite that's free; although I don't use it so I can't attest to its usability.

As you're a student Valthazar's mention of buying Word through your college is a good option to look at. Alternatively Microsoft also offer a student version of Office 365 (at least in the UK) which gives you four years of a full Office Suite (and some other benefits) for £60.