News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Songs that are creepy/disturbing but are overlooked because they are catchy, etc

Started by Inari, August 25, 2016, 09:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

Lilias

The so-called Southern Gothic style flourishes everywhere. I was grateful that Mirel Wagner's album When the Cellar Children See the Light of Day is only 31 minutes long.

No one ever accused Otep of being catchy or cheerful, either, but 'Voyeur' and 'Apex Predator' are... something, even for their standards.

Eddy Grant, on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpMgzWBpu2o
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Stumbled across this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqE6jYfFnE

Steely Dan, Gaslighting Abbie

lyrics

One plush summer you come to me ripe and ready
And bad through and through
With that deep mystical soul synergy pumping steady
Between me and you

Lovin' all the beautiful work we've done cara mia
And it's barely July
If we keep on boppin' until Labor Day
Li'l miz Abbie, bye bye

What will it be some soothing herb tea?
That might be just the thing
Let's say we spike it with Deludin
Or else maybe tonight a hand of solitaire

Flame is the game
The game we call gaslighting Abbie
It's a luscious invention for three
One summer by the sea

With the long weekend that's comin' up fast, let's get busy
There's just too much to do
That black mini looks just like the one she's been missin'
Feels good on you

There's a few items we need in town, allez-vous girl
There's no time to waste
Such as fresh cable and fifteen watt bulbs
Couple dozen, it's a big old place

Let's keep it light, we'll do a Fright night
With blood and everything
Some punky laughter from the kitchen
And then a nice relaxing hand of solitaire

Flame is the game
One summer by the sea

You can choose the music
I'll set up my gear
Later on we'll chill and watch the fireworks from here

How can you knock this mighty spite lock
Check out the work itself
A mix of elegance and function
That 's right, a tweak or two and then she's out of here

Flame is the game
One summer by the sea

Flame is the game
One summer by the sea
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

RedRose

More for you:

French
abusive man/husband (cheating, isolation, all that jazz)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZIPBqQoY8g

anything Noir Désir (those about social situation in France are quite dark and violent, the main singer killed his girlfriend in 2003 which makes it extra creepy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MERcQ-NH8WE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuB-YSltTgU

violent break up (mention of murder, suicide, terror attack...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxoxqDB0OI

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Lilias

The music is pure goth pop bubblegum... and then you listen for the lyrics and you think you've walked into an Asian horror movie.

The Birthday Massacre - Calling
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Aiden

RosalindRae

Baby It's Cold Outside. Besides the obvious, I like pretending it is part of Stephen King's Misery the musical.

James Caan: I really can't stay
Kathy Bates: But baby, it's cold outside
James Caan: I've got to go away
Kathy Bates: But baby, it's cold outside

HannibalBarca

Turn It On by Genesis.  Infectiously positive-sounding, but the lyrics are incredibly depressing, especially in today's world of more social media and less in-person social interaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APtMSHMiICg

It's basically the story of a lonely person who obsesses over a television star on his favorite show, but Phil Collins adds so much more with his voice.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Metro Mech

Ajoura - The SCP Foundation Main Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJaeH8ffl_M

This especially strikes a cord with me since the music has a unnatural vibe around it, making one feel uneasy.
Currently looking for a RP? Why not give my Thread a little look see, see if you can't find something you like?
A/A <- check here if I haven't replied in some time
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
Behold my O/O

Atarn

Does this one count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU
Christmas at Ground Zero by Weird AL.

Sidenote: How do you link videos so they don't just become a text link?
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

Oniya

If you don't put the 'url' tag around it, the forum's software will automatically embed it.    (Just as a note - although I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply in this case - videos that include children should be linked instead of embedded.)

Lyron

Maybe this one fits? It is kinda catchy and is played a lot on an alternative station here. The narrator is expressing the desire to commit suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-g3wLNjSCc

M/M Players for Groups: A Registry

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.
Anyone, any genre, any time.

AutumnFury

Oh goodness. If you listen to Octane on SiriusXM at all, then you've found the holy grail for songs that fit that description.

One of the first that comes to mind is a catchy little diddy that I didn't even think about, until I read the lyrics.

Red Sun Rising - Emotionless   -- Song is clearly about someone murdering a girl and then keeping her body until it's past the point of decay.

I'm Glad You're Dead - Bobaflex  -- It's about a son (I think.) that's at his father's funeral and is ever so glad he's dead, as he was abusive.

"You may be the King, but watch the Queen conquer."

Open to:
Random PMs. Feel like chit chatting? Go ahead and message, if you dare.

Lyron

Quote from: AutumnFury on June 25, 2018, 11:15:17 PM
Oh goodness. If you listen to Octane on SiriusXM at all, then you've found the holy grail for songs that fit that description.

One of the first that comes to mind is a catchy little diddy that I didn't even think about, until I read the lyrics.

Red Sun Rising - Emotionless   -- Song is clearly about someone murdering a girl and then keeping her body until it's past the point of decay.

Holy shit, I didn't catch this. Probably because I mishear the chorus, now that I'm looking at the lyrics. >.>

M/M Players for Groups: A Registry

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.
Anyone, any genre, any time.

AutumnFury

Quote from: Haru329 on June 28, 2018, 11:15:13 AM
Holy shit, I didn't catch this. Probably because I mishear the chorus, now that I'm looking at the lyrics. >.>

I still love it regardless, but wooooah. Pretty friggen creepy!!
"You may be the King, but watch the Queen conquer."

Open to:
Random PMs. Feel like chit chatting? Go ahead and message, if you dare.

Aleph

Going for a whole album, Marillion's 1994 prog rock masterpiece "Brave".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkuQ_djFfa4

The band were in the early stages of jamming around tracks that would form the album. Their singer Steve Hogarth was trying to write lyrics when the news had a police call out for information to identify a woman who'd been found on the Severn Bridge. She was naked and had amnesia and had clearly been assaulted.

Being a kinda prog-rock band, it was a concept album that was created. The individual songs are awesome but you listen to them in order and the story emerges.

To be complete bastards about it though, they released a special b-side double groove album. The album builds to its crisis point, both grooves on side b are identical until you got to the last song. One groove ended with "Made Again". A redemptive piece, very much 'winter-into-spring, things get better, rebirth, etc.' stuff. The other groove ended with "Falling From The Moon" which is the anonymous characters jump from the bridge, followed by seven minutes of the sound of lapping water. Until you got to the end of the album, you didn't know which track would be last.

Oniya

Quote from: Aleph on June 29, 2018, 03:39:26 AM
To be complete bastards about it though, they released a special b-side double groove album. The album builds to its crisis point, both grooves on side b are identical until you got to the last song. One groove ended with "Made Again". A redemptive piece, very much 'winter-into-spring, things get better, rebirth, etc.' stuff. The other groove ended with "Falling From The Moon" which is the anonymous characters jump from the bridge, followed by seven minutes of the sound of lapping water. Until you got to the end of the album, you didn't know which track would be last.

This is the sort of trickery that you can only do on vinyl.  Gotta admit, that's pretty damn inventive.

Mister Ugly

everyone thinks country is all about trucks and cowboys and stuff.
You wanta  creepy fun song...-- Dixie Chicks-

Goodbye Earl

https://youtu.be/Gw7gNf_9njs
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Oniya

Quote from: Mister Ugly on June 29, 2018, 04:18:34 AM
everyone thinks country is all about trucks and cowboys and stuff.
You wanta  creepy fun song...-- Dixie Chicks-

Goodbye Earl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye_Earl

Single by Dixie Chicks
from the album Fly
B-side    "Stand by Your Man"
Released    February 29, 2000

I laughed.

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]