News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TotesRider

I'm still eh on Goblin Slayer honestly.
But I found out that the dude voicing the Slayer in the funimation dub is the same dude who did the motion capture for Doom
Slayer in Doom so hey thats pretty neat.

Mirrah

Quote from: Kunoichi on October 27, 2018, 04:00:18 AM
I can't really speak to what people have been saying about the series since the anime was announced, but when I first got into the series via the manga, it was pitched to me as 'a D&D-esque fantasy version of The Punisher'.  You have this fantastical setting with wizards and monsters, super-powered heroes and demon lords, and then you have a protagonist who is not one of the big heroes of the setting, but instead spends his time running around and killing what are effectively the street-level mooks of the setting using whatever the most efficient means at his disposal are, doing so not by choice, but instead because, after suffering intense personal tragedy at their hands, he now feels driven to do so.  The rape scenes, by contrast, are mostly just used to establish the inhuman cruelty and innately evil nature of said street-level mooks, so that the audience doesn't feel any guilt as Goblin Slayer takes them out by the dozens.  They happen fairly often early on, and then fall by the wayside once they've served their purpose.

At the point the manga is currently at, I'd say the main draw of the series is in the way that Goblin Slayer is slowly regaining his humanity, making friends and learning to open up to and care about other people.  And it's also in watching him and the friends he's made go on adventures and kill goblins, of course.
Quote from: Sessha on October 28, 2018, 04:36:47 AM
That actually sounds like a very adapt description of the manga and show. No where is this more clearly seen then during the goblin attack on the cow girl's farm. Or him doing a stand in for something else that happens in te manga. Which by the way is my favorite chapter of it so far.

This is how I see it, too. I'm looking forward to the interactions between the adventurers and learning more about them. I really enjoyed the latest episode.
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Andol

Quote from: TotesRider on October 14, 2018, 05:21:23 AM
Eh I wasn't a fan of Goblin Slayer honestly. Just felt like a wannabe Berserk minus the nuance involved.

Though I do enjoy the memes of Goblin Slayerman being essentially the fantasy version of Doom Guy.
~~~~
As for what i've been watching
Golden Wind Episode 2 was pretty rad. They finally give a way clearer explanation of how Golden Experience works.

Also... the fucking Ending theme is Freak'n You by Jodeci. One of the most Baby-makin' love makin' RnB songs ever

Also Episode 2 of SSSS Gridman was fantastic, and I plan on catching up with the first two episodes of Zombieland Saga this week

Yeah I admit... getting to see Gold Experience in the anime was a way clearer explanation on how it works. Maybe there is hope for King Crimson... maybe...

Sessha

Quote from: Mirrah on October 30, 2018, 08:12:16 PM
This is how I see it, too. I'm looking forward to the interactions between the adventurers and learning more about them. I really enjoyed the latest episode.

If you are interested there is now a third series that was started that focuses on the other characters called "Goblin Slayer: Side Stories. One of the more interesting chapters that is out right now is one that the first like half to two-thirds of it is told from the perspective of a goblin on guardduty. Make no mistake it makes no attempts to humanized them in anyway. In fact the goblin in the chapter laments that he cant get a chance to rape the girl their raiders brought back with them. Though in a fun twist of fate, they die long before him. In fact if I remember the chapter right he's the last one of them to die.

The other series that was started was about Orcbolg when he first started out. It's called Goblin Slayer: Year One.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Mirrah

Quote from: Sessha on October 31, 2018, 03:28:57 AM
If you are interested there is now a third series that was started that focuses on the other characters called "Goblin Slayer: Side Stories. One of the more interesting chapters that is out right now is one that the first like half to two-thirds of it is told from the perspective of a goblin on guardduty. Make no mistake it makes no attempts to humanized them in anyway. In fact the goblin in the chapter laments that he cant get a chance to rape the girl their raiders brought back with them. Though in a fun twist of fate, they die long before him. In fact if I remember the chapter right he's the last one of them to die.

The other series that was started was about Orcbolg when he first started out. It's called Goblin Slayer: Year One.

Thank you! I'll look into those sometime. ;D

TotesRider

Hunter

I am in the process of watching The Disastrous Life of Saiki K, and the second season is proving funnier than the first.

Snake

Sometimes I think that most people who have issue with Goblin Slayer dont realise that it's basically no-sexy-all-dark take on DND as an anime. At least to me anyway.

Kunoichi

Quote from: TotesRider on November 03, 2018, 01:25:11 PM
Mothers Basement did a pretty good explanation of my issues with that first episode of Goblin Slayer.

The comments section on that video does a better job explaining my issues with it than I ever could, so for anyone who watched the video, I'd recommend reading through some of the comments as well.

On the actual subject of the first episode of Goblin Slayer, while I didn't have any problems with it, I also don't have any issues with the people who do. It is very different in tone compared to the rest of the series, and very heavily reliant on shock value to establish for the audience why the goblins in Goblin Slayer need to be slain. The actual rape scene itself is roughly 45 seconds in length and about 25 to 30 of those seconds are spent focusing on either the faces of the goblins or with the camera pointed at the cave ceiling while listening to the Monk's screams of anguish, so it does tend to annoy me when people claim that it's somehow meant to be sexually exploitative or titillating, but I also think that a lot of people who like the series are being unnecessarily insulting while defending it, as well, and that's not doing the series any favors.

There's also the fact that Crunchyroll screwed up in a really big way with the series when it first premiered, giving it a PG rating and putting a big ad for it on the front page that called it something like 'The hit new fantasy anime of the season'. With the front page ad especially, a large number of people tuned in expecting a nice, fun fantasy adventure anime, and then they got rookie adventurers being hacked to pieces by goblins, a 45 second rape scene, the young viewpoint character peeing herself in terror, and were then introduced to a protagonist who clubs baby goblins to death. Getting caught by surprise like that tends to leave a bad impression on people, even if they otherwise might not have had a problem with that sort of content if they'd gone in knowing what to expect.

Sasquatch421

I really need to watch some other anime, but now that I can get HiDive on the Xbox One I'm watching Elfin Lied and Battle of the Planets. On the bright side I found Metropolis to buy at Walmart as well! On Funimation I have been watching Chobits after I got caught up with My Hero Academia and Overlord.

Hunter

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on November 08, 2018, 08:51:12 PM
I really need to watch some other anime, but now that I can get HiDive on the Xbox One I'm watching Elfin Lied and Battle of the Planets. On the bright side I found Metropolis to buy at Walmart as well! On Funimation I have been watching Chobits after I got caught up with My Hero Academia and Overlord.

Never heard of them, I'll have to look.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Hunter on November 08, 2018, 09:03:23 PM
Never heard of them, I'll have to look.

I will warn you Elfin Lied is quite bloody and she rips apart like 20 people in the first 7 minutes. As for Battle of the Planets it's also referred to as Gathchaman.... Metropolis is a classic done by the man who created Astroboy, writen by Otomo who did Akira and directed by Rintaro who made Galaxy Express 999

I would also recommend Interstella 5555 which is a fun watch..

Hunter

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on November 08, 2018, 09:25:12 PM
I will warn you Elfin Lied is quite bloody and she rips apart like 20 people in the first 7 minutes. As for Battle of the Planets it's also referred to as Gathchaman.... Metropolis is a classic done by the man who created Astroboy, writen by Otomo who did Akira and directed by Rintaro who made Galaxy Express 999

I've seen Elven Lied, I meant HiDive.  :)

Sessha

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on November 08, 2018, 09:25:12 PM

Honestly having seen the anime and read the manga....go read the manga. The anime only covers like maybe a third of the overall story for the series. Plus it actually has something that can be honestly said that it ends on what can be considered a happy ending.

Snake

I'd like to recommend Log Horizon, but it is a bit slow for an Isekai.

Sessha

Quote from: Snake on November 09, 2018, 10:54:04 AM
I'd like to recommend Log Horizon, but it is a bit slow for an Isekai.

Ah yes that is a good one. I do recommend it.

Snake

Another I recommend is an old classic,  Generator Gawl.

Hunter

If you're looking for something a little lighter, I recommend Those Who Hunt Elves.   The first season is good, the second one tries too hard (and fails).

Sessha

Quote from: Hunter on November 09, 2018, 07:59:28 PM
If you're looking for something a little lighter, I recommend Those Who Hunt Elves.   The first season is good, the second one tries too hard (and fails).

If we are really going old school. Then how about Marian Successor Nadesico. That is generally light hearted. It's got a few serious moments in it but otherwise not too bad.

Tolvo

I've been waiting a bit to start watching JoJo's Part 5 Vento Aureo(Golden Wind). I have read the manga of it and the previous parts as well as seen the previous anime parts. I really love JoJo's for how bright it is, the great art, fun characters, and absurdity.

I'm also really looking forward to the next season of Mob Psycho which has become one of my absolutely favorite anime.

I haven't been watching too much lately, I did a big binge at one point but trying to watch all of Case Closed really burned me out so I took a break.

Mirrah

Quote from: Snake on November 03, 2018, 09:10:12 PM
Sometimes I think that most people who have issue with Goblin Slayer dont realise that it's basically no-sexy-all-dark take on DND as an anime. At least to me anyway.

I keep remembering animation of the dice rolling.

Quote from: Tolvo on December 09, 2018, 01:18:06 PM
I'm also really looking forward to the next season of Mob Psycho which has become one of my absolutely favorite anime.

Mob Psycho was fun. I didn't know that there was another season coming out.

SoulsnufferRekuonk

I am all over the map for anime these days, however, right now I am watching F-Zero and recently finished two others which have escaped my mind right now. I really like Highschool DxD [Mainly because Rias is nice and does not play the bitch card I see a lot], Testament of a Devil's Sister, Sword Art Online [Not digging the new stuff at the moment but it might change], Mobile Suit Gundam [All-I like some more than others, but I hate none of them], etc. I am not going to list them because I have a Myanimelist for that. I like a lot of anime and generally don't talk to others about them because of the whole you like crap thing, so I keep it to myself. Like what you like, hate what you hate but keep it to yourself. >:(

Argyros

Quote from: SoulsnufferRekuonk on December 21, 2018, 12:34:24 PM
I am all over the map for anime these days [...]

Same.

I am concurrently watching a few new and old anime series, including Goblin Slayer, Boku no Hero Academia, One Punch Man, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Bleach, Ippo no Hajime and others. I am the same with manga, browsing several stories simultaneously in order to keep busy.
< Status: Gone >

LostInTheMist

My favorite anime has to be Code Geass, and R2. I haven't seen the latest releases, because I find myself not being in college and not pursuing the hot girl in anime club any longer.

I also love Infinite Ryvius, which almost nobody in my anime club really appreciated. It was Lord of the Flies in space, and it depicted space battles in a way that was true to life... the way space battles would almost certainly ACTUALLY happen.

Because I was in the anime club, but I didn't watch a lot of anime outside the club, I don't have a lot of experience with general anime. I technically watched Code Geass: R2 outside of the club, but only one member of the club wound up not seeing it. Euphemia was her favorite character, and she wasn't a fan of blood or gore, so Code Geass was not for her. I watched the old Fullmetal Alchemist and X with the hot girl in anime club who was my gf for about six months.)

I also watched Romeo X Juliet outside of anime club, but everyone in the club had seen it the year before I joined, and I watched all of Elfen Lied in one sitting with my roommate while waiting for a train. I don't condone mass murder, but when you kill a puppy,  you forfeit the right to life....
My Apologies and Absences  Updated April 1, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: House sitting. Will not be replying until I return. See my A/As for details.