Aetherpunk (Steampunk, Freeform, LGBT Friendly)

Started by Crash, July 13, 2014, 12:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loves

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Loves

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Madame Professor

Quote from: skyre on July 14, 2014, 01:26:29 PM
I need to do some research on airships (Yes I am that geeky and yes I do have suitable books to research from) before I can come up with something that fits. I'll include it as part of my character sheet for approval by Crash.

Also I'm currently thinking that I need someone who knows about clockwork and rockets in the crew...
The captain might have an unorthodox armament scheme in mind.

PM me about this Captain Harper and plot you've got in mind Madame if you don't mind please? I'd like a bit of background before I throw so many characters into potential hot water.

Captain Harper is the NPC created for the sample character in the first post of the interest thread. I can certainly give you more detail if you wish. This wouldn't be anything too heavy for the player characters involved and would be something I would only start if all involved players were interested. When you mentioned stealing a ship, I thought it would be an interesting way to use an NPC I didn't have any set plans for just yet. It is a vague idea at the moment, so I haven't much thought past, "oooo, that could be fun for everyone.." 
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Hazy Sky

Ah ok. I was worried that it might be getting into player character conflict or something like that.
Sounds fine to me. :)

A mechanic/engineer would be most welcome if you want to join.
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Madame Professor

No, no. Nothing like that. It's only something that would happen if y'all wanted it to and if you wanted to steal the Maria Bella to begin with. I thought I would put it out there for you as an option. I'm just putting the plot bunnies to work for y'all! ;D

Excellent! I'll get to work on a character then!
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Hazy Sky

Just to keep everyone amused here are my first thoughts on the airship for our bunch of pirates. She's  not approved as yet, so details may well change as part of that process. Thoughts and comments are definitely welcome from everyone. The captain himself is still a work in progress, but I have most of the basics pinned down I think.

A.R.A. Typhoon (formerly the Star of India)
Captain Archer spent a lot of time in the docks and the patent office before he settled on the Star of India or as she is now known  Typhoon as the target for his audacious scheme. Typhoon is, or rather was a newly commissioned mixed cargo Clipper rigid airship of the advanced 'Airflow' design that resulted from complex computations on banks of analytical engines. She was built to make the long run across the Pacific to India for the Tea harvest and return it to the West coast in prime condition. She was stoutly constructed to survive the turbulent air over the Pacific Ocean and the Indian subcontinent. Star of India was built for speed and manoeuvrability at the cost of cargo capacity and crew comfort.
At least that was the case until Captain Archer took over the passenger quarters for his crew and converted the former crew's compartments into a magazine, workshop, fliers launch bay, fuel bunkers, store rooms, training and briefing rooms. After the remodelling was complete he renamed the ship Typhoon. The former passenger suites are richly appointed and spacious. There are several communal areas including a dining room, lounge and smoking room.
Perhaps the biggest external change to Typhoon is the addition of a formidable arsenal of weaponry. She is unusual in that the main armament is not the standard rifled breach loaded recoiling cannon or field gun. These are immensely heavy and then require additional heavy reinforcement of the hull to withstand the shock of their firing. Captain Archer taken a more unusual solution of mounting rocket launchers fitted with a radial recoil deflectors and two stage rocket motors. The design of which has has also stolen. These trade range and a degree of accuracy for greatly decreased weight, decreased maintenance requirements and an increased rate of fire. Typhoon also mounts a pair of gatling cannons for close quarters defence.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Kadigan

As far as character/position wise, to be honest I wasn't thinking any farther then Gun Hand really. I suppose she could operate one of the ships guns or harpoons or some such, but mainly I figured her on boarding details and such.

Crash

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on July 14, 2014, 07:11:45 PM
As far as character/position wise, to be honest I wasn't thinking any farther then Gun Hand really. I suppose she could operate one of the ships guns or harpoons or some such, but mainly I figured her on boarding details and such.

Every pirate ship needs some swabbies. ;)

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Marconi Drake

Very interested in this..will need to get to brainstorming a character idea.

Crash

ArtemisHighmore

I find myself tempted to make a man named Icarus. >.>

Hazy Sky

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on July 14, 2014, 07:11:45 PM

Barbara, you are very welcome to be a gun hand or member of the boarding party aboard the tentatively named Typhoon.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Crash

When working on airships those writing them up should remember they should have benefits and drawbacks that somewhat equal out.

Hazy Sky

Quote from: Crash on July 15, 2014, 08:38:42 AM
When working on airships those writing them up should remember they should have benefits and drawbacks that somewhat equal out.

Noted Crash. I will alter and resubmit with an updated character sheet once all comments are in from Madame, Loves and Swash.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Crash

No worries.  My mistake for not posting some guidelines and really your ship is well done and only needs minor tweaking.  I figured I should say something here so others know too.

Hazy Sky

Currently the crew under my captain provisionally has an officer to lead the boarding party, a gunner, a mechanic/engineer, gun hand, crew lady. I don't think I've missed anyone who has spoken to me specifically about joining the Comet. If I have please correct me.

I think a flier who may or may not be a spy for the ship as well. A tinker, armourer or inventor to keep these pesky rockets working properly, a doctor of some kind and a cook would be valuable additions if people are looking for potential role to fill. That doesn't mean that suggestions won't be taken. These are just obvious gaps in the crew from the captain's perspective.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Crash

We are taking crew for a second ship as well so if anyone has interest in a position already filled for Skyre's ship we can start filling in another.

Jemady Angel

I stalked Artemis to your OOC thread and was looking at the front page. Clicked the youtube link and Abney Park started to play. You have me sold, now to reading everything in this thread.

*Waves hello with a large smile*
<---- O/o

Elsa will be available for a ship if anyone is interested in hiring her. :)

Hazy Sky

*Waves at Jemady.*
There are a few suggested roles aboard the airship that I've some how ended up in the captain's chair of if you need some inspiration. It's a couple of posts up from this.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Jemady Angel

Thank you Skyre. I am still reading the front page at this time. :) I have my favorite steampunk character, but will need to talk to you and the lead of this game about her because I am not sure if she will be acceptable. I will have to check with both of you guys first. I want to read through everything I can first before inquiring since she might be a bit out there for the style of world that is being presented currently.

She could fit into a large variety of positions, though.
<---- O/o

Crash

Quote from: Jemady Angel on July 15, 2014, 03:27:43 PM
I stalked Artemis to your OOC thread and was looking at the front page. Clicked the youtube link and Abney Park started to play. You have me sold, now to reading everything in this thread.

*Waves hello with a large smile*

Welcome to the game! There is one ship and crew gathering with some solid writers aboard or you can start working on another ship if you have a character that you really want to play and doesn't fit in the assembling crew.  You will have access to posting in any thread in the game so please feel free to read some of the Aetherpunk threads if you like.

Quote from: Jemady Angel on July 15, 2014, 03:46:34 PM
Thank you Skyre. I am still reading the front page at this time. :) I have my favorite steampunk character, but will need to talk to you and the lead of this game about her because I am not sure if she will be acceptable. I will have to check with both of you guys first. I want to read through everything I can first before inquiring since she might be a bit out there for the style of world that is being presented currently.

She could fit into a large variety of positions, though.

Final characters need to be submitted to Madame Professor and myself.  Feel free to post work in progress characters here.  I look forward to seeing what you are thinking about.

Jemady Angel

Quote from: Crash on July 15, 2014, 03:49:51 PM
Final characters need to be submitted to Madame Professor and myself.  Feel free to post work in progress characters here.  I look forward to seeing what you are thinking about.

I am still trying to figure out how she would be able to fit, but, the basis of her is that she is a doll or a puppet of sorts. She is the only one of her kind, a prototype, because her inventor died while creating her. So she has missing pieces, even though she looks very much like a human and it would be hard to tell otherwise, she has missing pieces in her programming like emotions and no back history. She is a learning creature though, even with her missing parts. I am not sure where she would fit as of yet, but an idea would be she was plundered from somewhere when being transported with the equipment that went with her. (Since she is not perfect and would need repairs and 'charging' persay. Maybe with a form of Aether) , but again, not a completely formed idea and I am not sure how as of yet any of this would work with what you already have. ^.^"
<---- O/o

Crash

Keep thinking in it then.  I am assuming clockwork and Aether are we main parts.  I have an NPC Tick-Tock Annie that has a clockwork heart so a clockwork and aether powered automaton is not out of the question.  Are you thinking like a Babbage Thinkmachine for a brain?  Synthetic skin would a sticking point but something like a rogue Eugenics scientist could explain realistic skin over clockwork parts.