Interest Check: MtG System Sandbox

Started by Amarlo, September 11, 2015, 09:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amarlo

This is ONLY an interest check. If enough interest is gathered then I will create a more in depth write up.

The game would be an 'Original Characters Only" Magic The Gathering setting with a simple system. Everyone would play either a Planeswalker or a currently untriggered Spark bearer. Every character would have at least one deck in their arsenal that will be picked, created and listed by the player.

The game wouldn't simply revolve around battling one another (Although it will certainly be a feasible option), but will have more to do with the immersive experience an infinite amount of planes can offer. The options are near limitless and will contain both canon worlds as well as player created planes.

While knowledge of the lore and MtG setting is not at all required, it is highly encouraged to at least be familiar with it. However, the proper use of cards and decks would be a necessity in the long run.

If you are interested don't be afraid to show it! If you have any ideas or concepts you'd like to share, don't be afraid to pm me! If this game gains enough interest I will start working on the setting as soon as I can but it will probably be a month before I will be able to get everything written up. My apologies in advance!

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Styracosaur

Sounds like a neat idea, although obviously kinda depends on some more specifics.

I wonder if it might be better to use a simplified version of MTG, rather than the full thing?  So maybe each player has a "library" of all the spells they know, but a given "duel" they'd only have 7, or 10, or 20, or what-have-you, so it's a much more manageable number.  Maybe rather than messing with lands, they start with a finite mana pool and have to choose how to spend it?

But anyway, those are just a couple of immediate thoughts, which you may or may not agree with.  Like I said, neat idea.  :)

AndyZ

I played MtG between 4th and 7th edition.  I'm insanely behind and would never be able to catch up, but might have a bit of interest in this depending on what all is involved.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Crash

I have been wanting to do something exactly like this.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Chulanowa

Hmmmm. This is getting my system juices churning. if I may?

completely not official at all!
Persona: Bog-standard for a freeform game. Pick what sort of critter / person / object you are, what it looks like and its personality. Could this lead to "imbalance" if Player 1 wants to play Hokel the Local Yokel-turned wizard, and player 2 is playing Narzyaxnamrazamry the 3,000 year-old tech dragon? Actually no - both characters are newly-minted planeswalkers after all, and roughly of equal power as one another - which is to say, Hokel and Narzy are probably equal in a fistfight and a spell-fight. Unrealistic? yeah, but it's magic (the gathering) I ain't gotta explain shit!

Spells: Who has what? From where? Huh? Okay, this is more of a "system" thing thna the last part. Just off the top of my head...
1) Each player begins with two colors; one primary, one secondary (these can be the same color)
2) The primary color gives so many points that can be put towards purchase of spells. The secondary gives slightly fewer.
• You can only buy spells of the color reflected by the sphere granting those points.
• Point value is determined by rarity; Common = 1 point, Uncommon = 2 points, rare = 3 points (mythics would be unavailable to starting characters)
Hybrid cards can count for any one of their colors (The example could be a spell known by anyone who has blue or black as one of their colors.)
• To have a multicolored spell, the mage must have access to all colors involved (The example could only be cast by someone who uses both red and green)
Colored artifacts count as that color.
It can get a little complicated... (Example could be used by anyone who has Blue, and White or Black)
• Non-colored artifacts cost double point value to purchase (?)
3) Each spell a planeswalker knows is represented by a token of some sort; a cluster of crystals, a song, a mummified pork chop, whatever suits the wizard and the spell involved.
4) In any given fight, a spell can be cast only once for each individual token the wizard has (spells with plural names still only happen once, but get plural instances for theatrical purposes).
5) Upon defeating a rival wizard, the victor can confiscate any one spell token from the vanguished. Any spell token is up for grabs. And yes, the winner may choose. The loser ceases to have access to that spell.
6) By claiming a token of a new color, you gain the ability to cast and learn spells from that color
7) New spells can be acquired through effort to learn in less... combative ways. best done through RP.

Also... Theme bonus? If your character hails from, say, Kamigawa, and all his spells are from those expansions, you get bonus points to spread around?

Conflict resolution
I propose a simple D6 system; Essentially, every spell or action you do has some effect, but with the results of a 1d6 roll improving or lessening that effect. This does lean heavily on the DM's storytelling ability, but hey - quick 'n' dirty, right? Say your hill giant minion just got smacked in the face with a lightning bolt. if the bolt's caster rolls a 3 or better, your giant is fried. 1-2, your Giant still gets crispier-than-average, but doesn't flop over dead. I imagine someone out there has a better idea for this...

Crash

Fate accelerated is a simple system that could work too.  Though I am fine will free form as well.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Amarlo

Quote from: Chulanowa on September 12, 2015, 06:35:44 AM
Hmmmm. This is getting my system juices churning. if I may?

completely not official at all!
Persona: Bog-standard for a freeform game. Pick what sort of critter / person / object you are, what it looks like and its personality. Could this lead to "imbalance" if Player 1 wants to play Hokel the Local Yokel-turned wizard, and player 2 is playing Narzyaxnamrazamry the 3,000 year-old tech dragon? Actually no - both characters are newly-minted planeswalkers after all, and roughly of equal power as one another - which is to say, Hokel and Narzy are probably equal in a fistfight and a spell-fight. Unrealistic? yeah, but it's magic (the gathering) I ain't gotta explain shit!

Spells: Who has what? From where? Huh? Okay, this is more of a "system" thing thna the last part. Just off the top of my head...
1) Each player begins with two colors; one primary, one secondary (these can be the same color)
2) The primary color gives so many points that can be put towards purchase of spells. The secondary gives slightly fewer.
• You can only buy spells of the color reflected by the sphere granting those points.
• Point value is determined by rarity; Common = 1 point, Uncommon = 2 points, rare = 3 points (mythics would be unavailable to starting characters)
Hybrid cards can count for any one of their colors (The example could be a spell known by anyone who has blue or black as one of their colors.)
• To have a multicolored spell, the mage must have access to all colors involved (The example could only be cast by someone who uses both red and green)
Colored artifacts count as that color.
It can get a little complicated... (Example could be used by anyone who has Blue, and White or Black)
• Non-colored artifacts cost double point value to purchase (?)
3) Each spell a planeswalker knows is represented by a token of some sort; a cluster of crystals, a song, a mummified pork chop, whatever suits the wizard and the spell involved.
4) In any given fight, a spell can be cast only once for each individual token the wizard has (spells with plural names still only happen once, but get plural instances for theatrical purposes).
5) Upon defeating a rival wizard, the victor can confiscate any one spell token from the vanguished. Any spell token is up for grabs. And yes, the winner may choose. The loser ceases to have access to that spell.
6) By claiming a token of a new color, you gain the ability to cast and learn spells from that color
7) New spells can be acquired through effort to learn in less... combative ways. best done through RP.

Also... Theme bonus? If your character hails from, say, Kamigawa, and all his spells are from those expansions, you get bonus points to spread around?

Conflict resolution
I propose a simple D6 system; Essentially, every spell or action you do has some effect, but with the results of a 1d6 roll improving or lessening that effect. This does lean heavily on the DM's storytelling ability, but hey - quick 'n' dirty, right? Say your hill giant minion just got smacked in the face with a lightning bolt. if the bolt's caster rolls a 3 or better, your giant is fried. 1-2, your Giant still gets crispier-than-average, but doesn't flop over dead. I imagine someone out there has a better idea for this...
I'll take a peek later :) I'm on my phone at the moment.

Quote from: Crash on September 12, 2015, 11:10:34 AM
Fate accelerated is a simple system that could work too.  Though I am fine will free form as well.

I'll check that out as well. The game would be mostly freeform with a simple deck oriented system reinforcer in the background to add some spice to the game.:)

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Crash

Quote from: Amarlo on September 12, 2015, 01:05:06 PM
The game would be mostly freeform with a simple deck oriented system reinforcer in the background to add some spice to the game.:)

Works for me.

kckolbe

Haven't played MtG since 98, I think.  When I last played slivers and shadowwalking were new. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Crash

Got any particular plane you were thinking of starting us in?

Amarlo

Quote from: kckolbe on September 12, 2015, 07:06:57 PM
Haven't played MtG since 98, I think.  When I last played slivers and shadowwalking were new. 

Haha, the system will be deck based and fairly simple. If you've played the most recent Magic 2015: Duels of the Planeswalkers video game then you're pretty set on how using your deck will work. (You can get it on steam for 10 bucks)

Quote from: Crash on September 12, 2015, 09:15:45 PM
Got any particular plane you were thinking of starting us in?

No, I haven't decided that yet. I could definitely do a sort of vote, but that would be something decided down the line after I've decided enough interest was gathered for me to start 'world building' officially.

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Crash

Quote from: Amarlo on September 12, 2015, 09:28:23 PM
Haha, the system will be deck based and fairly simple. If you've played the most recent Magic 2015: Duels of the Planeswalkers video game then you're pretty set on how using your deck will work. (You can get it on steam for 10 bucks)

No, I haven't decided that yet. I could definitely do a sort of vote, but that would be something decided down the line after I've decided enough interest was gathered for me to start 'world building' officially.

Makes sense.

CountessJess

I'm just wandering over to express interest as well.

Amarlo

Announcement

Alright, looks like enough interest has been given for me to start working on the setting officially. I'd like to first start out by thanking everyone who's shown interest thusfar and look forward to many more in the future!

However, like it says in the original post this write up could take me up to a month(or even as little as a week), so hold tight and keep an eye on this thread! I'll be officially announcing open recruitment here when I am ready. :) I may also open little polls for voting on something here or there.

For current and future prospects, I will not be limiting the amount of people who can join but I will limit each player to at most two active characters at a time.

I look forward to playing with all of you soon  ;D

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Crash

Gilgameshian

Ringing in a little late just to say I'd be interested. Don't play that much Magic (most of my friends don't and/or are mad that I spent some money to make a good deck based on my favorite archetype eheheh) but I like the general idea and theme of it and would love to play a planeswalker.
March 2020: Working Retail + Virus Panic = Brain not work so good. Expect slow intermittent replies as sanity slowly drains and is returned.

kckolbe

Will try to weigh in on system ideas tonight, but I bought the game, and MtG games appear to last longer than normal system combat, despite having fewer players and options. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread