Arpeggio of Blue Steel Recruitment Thread (new Players welcome!)

Started by Mac84, January 16, 2014, 08:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MelisaArtemis

well.... I'll consider it. If I am to join though, I call dibs on Shimakaze. She is a small Battle Cruiser, just slightly smaller than Takao class Heavy cruiser but she is actually one of the new vessel that was said to be Japan's secret weapon to overturn the war. She is fitted with 15 torpedo tubes made possible with a one-off steam engine which can produce up to speed 40 knot, making her one of the fastest vessel of the time. Unfortunately, she didn't exactly play a prominent role in the war as when she was finished, Japan was already losing badly. Most of the time she ends up being rescue vessel for the other more prominent ships before finally sunk by the US at the final years of WWII.

Details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_destroyer_Shimakaze_%281942%29

Major Major

Bad news, Melissa, Pen's already bagged the Shimakaze, I'm afraid.

But then again, some of the French destroyers were as fast, if not faster than her, as were the Royal Navy's Abdiel-class; and if you want face-smashing force, nothing says day-ruiner than a Tribal or an Allen M. Sumner.

MelisaArtemis

Who's Pen? I don't see his name on this thread. but o well :)

EDIT: I found him at the OOC / Character Thread. Well, I guess Shimakaze's taken so I'm in quandary rite now. Still though, I see that most of the player plays up to 2 - 4 characters each that rather.... a lot. I don't mind if they can remain active for every one of them, but I think its better to put a limit on how many character a person can play. Call me paranoid but based on experience, having a person playing too many characters tend to 1. deliver substandard post for each of them... unless they are planning to write up to 10 paragraphs each time. 2. Dangerous in the event that if they happen to be away or busy and therefore unable to be active in the RP for extended period of time, the entire RP suffers because they control a large bulk of character roster.

Major Major

Pendarious. The one with the avatar of the brown haired guy with the shiny glasses.

And as I said, some of the French destroyers were as fast, if not faster than her, as were the Royal Navy's Abdiel-class; and if you want face-smashing force in a destroyer, nothing says day-ruiner quite like a Tribal or an Allen M. Sumner.

MelisaArtemis

naah, its nothing that major. I just picked her coz she is small and rather unassuming... that and... well.... I guess my own pride for being a half-japanese XD

Major Major

Hmm... Fair enough; well then, how about a Kagero-class, or a Yūgumo-class?

MelisaArtemis

Major Major

Well.... About that.... Yukikaze has already appeared in the manga, so, she's verboten.

MelisaArtemis

Hauuuuuu.... I dunno who to pick then. *Draws circles on the sand*

Avalon29

Maybe the Aoba or the Kinugasa heavy cruiser?

Major Major

And, actually, now that I think about it, we should probably put up a list of ships that are taken, or not available to use due to being in the manga or beyond the cutoff date.

TAKEN:

Fuso-class Battleship Fuso
Hawkins-class heavy cruiser HMS Effingham
Zara-class heavy cruiser RN Zara
Takao-class heavy cruiser Chokai
Mogami-class heavy cruiser Suzuya
Japanese Destroyer Arashi
Japanese Destroyer Shimakaze
USS Texas
USS Arizona
SMS Bayern (WWI Dreadnought)
Submarine I-8

UNAVAILABLE:

Yamato
Musashi
Yukikaze
Kasumi
Bismarck

HMS Repulse
HMAS Vampire
Any of the Kongo-class
Ise
Hyuuga
The Myoko-class
The other Takao-class
I-400
I-401
I-402
U-2501

EDIT; yeah, I think the Aoba and the Kinugasa's are free.

Avalon29

If you want small and assuming the Furutaka and Kako are still free as well. They're both pretty small ships.

MelisaArtemis

What about Suzutsuki, is she available?

Major Major

Yeah, she's free. The only named destroyers in the manga are the Vampire, Kasumi and Yukikaze, and in our game, we've only gotten out the Shimakaze and the Arashi, so, the Suzutsuki is available.

MelisaArtemis

Then Suzutsuki it is then~ I'll get a character sheet up soon. Major, if you can help me find a picture of the vessel and its armaments, that would be awesome, I'm hopeless with that (All I did was look for WWII ship at Wikipedia *Draws circles on the sand at the corner*

Major Major

If you need any help with the particulars of the setting, let me know, ok?

EDIT: Here's a side and top view of the ship in its' 1945 configuration:

This here is a list of her real-life armaments:

8 × 100 mm (4 in)/65 cal DP guns
41 × 25 mm AA guns (7×3 + 20×1)
4 × 610 mm (24 in) torpedo tubes
8 × Type 93 torpedoes
56 × Type 2 depth charges

In the terms of the Fleet of Fog, these translate to:

8 × 100 mm (4 in)/65 cal Duel-Purpose particle cannons
41 × 25 mm rapid-fire particle cannons (anti-aircraft configuration) (7×3 + 20×1)
4 × 610 mm (24 in) torpedo tubes
Numerous VLS missile tubes

And further more, here's some of her specifications:

Class & type:
Akizuki-class destroyer
Displacement:    
2,700 long tons (2,743 t) standard
3,700 long tons (3,759 t) full load
Length:
134.2 m (440 ft 3 in)
Beam:
11.6 m (38 ft 1 in)
Draft:
4.15 m (13 ft 7 in)

Sessha

Well here is another site you can go to if you want to look for more. http://www.combinedfleet.com/kaigun.htm
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

MelisaArtemis

Oh and on the side note. I don't have problem with the battleships being of different countries but from what I can see from the series, it seems that even within the FOG, ships of different nationality rarely in contact with each other or even gets along. I could be wrong since so far the number of non-japanese ship we saw in the series can be counted in 1 and a half hands.

Major Major

That's sort of the point of this; we're the second-stringers; the no-hopers; the Mystery Men; the z-grade hopeless cases that were shoved out of sight and out of Mind by the rest of the Fleet to somewhere they can't do any harm.

Only, something will be discovered, and it'll be up to this motley crew of misfits to save the day! Great Movie stuff there.

MelisaArtemis

I see. Btw, I see that we have a character who is not part of the fleet, how does that would work out? I'm asking coz I might be interested on taking that status too. Like... someone who isn't against humans but not really want to work together with them either, something like... tolerance?

Major Major

Well, there's about half a dozen factions within the Fog in the manga, if you've read it

First off, the main Fog faction, lead by the Supreme Flagship, Yamato, who wants the Fog to learn what it means to be human; her intentions are as yet unknown

Then there's the Scarlet Fleet, commanded by Yamato's sister Musashi; they have some humans on their ships, and has recently begun meddling in human matters for reasons that are, once more, unclear

Then there are the 'Rebel' factions; one is lead by Hood, who is opposing the Scarlet Fleet's involvement in human affairs.

Then there are the 'Rogue' ships like Repulse, Haruna, Kirishima and Maya, who are off doing their own thing.

And finally, we have Blue Steel, the protaganists of the manga, centered around I-401, Takao, Hyuuga and one or two human boats.

pendarious

hey major in your list of taken ships you forgot the IJN-Fuso.

Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

spirit weiss

I am life, I am love, I am dreams, I am freedom.
I am silver god Theo!

I am death, I am indifference, I am reality, I am oppression.
I am gray god ell.

Mac84

Sure. :-)

What kind of ship were you thinking of playing?

Sessha

*looks around.* Hmmm I don't see a closed sign on the door so yeah I guess we still. How may I help you in your interest in joining what has become known as the Fleet of the Forgotten.

Welcome to the game. Please check your soul at the door!  ;D ;D ;D >:) >:) >:)
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!