One Blue Campus - Opening

Started by That Blue One, January 25, 2012, 02:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

That Blue One

Written: Friday, Jan. 20th

So, here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat- I mean, Friday night.  I think half the dorm is out either partying, getting ready to go party, or on some sort of an alcohol run.  Me?  I'm busy contemplating a stack of menus in front of me.  For some unknown reason, My Crazy University (MCU) has decided that not only shall cafeterias close earlier on Friday, that they shouldn't have to open until ten in the morning on Saturday.

I've been running around campus like a hamster in a plastic ball, running things to people, and generally getting the behind-the-scenes stuff done for an event that's going off tonight.  I would have liked to be at said event, but with the air deciding to aggravate my already irritated throat, I'm bowing out of the event so I can get a chance to relax and get my stupid throat to stop hurting.  But right now the want of food is outweighing the want of my throat to shut up.

Let me be quite honest:  I'm heavier than I should be.  I don't want to be mistaken for a large man with a minigun screaming for his 'sandvitch' unless I dress up as him for Halloween.  I'm trying to eat right, but at the same time, food after seven on a Friday is usually something that's not going to be in the best interest of managing your weight.  An example?  There are at least four national pizza chains that deliver to my dorm, three Chinese places, and even a place that does it all from ribs to cheeseburgers, all ripe for delivery.

Yet some wonder why the "freshman fifteen" just seems to stick around.  The answer to that can more than likely be in the dumpster that MCU provides outside- the one that's packed full of pizza boxes, sandwich wrappers, bags, discarded containers- that's why.  Because it's practically impossible to get something that even looks healthy past cafeteria close.  MCU, you've earned your name again.

There is a sandwich place nearby that delivers moderately healthy stuff, but at the same time, they're only open until midnight.  I'm going to go ahead and phone in an order.

It's been about an hour or so, and while I wait for responses to my RPs, well... I've finished one sandwich and am halfway through another.  These things really are addictive- or at least the rumor that they put something addictive in the bread is not really a rumor.

Anyways, these ought to be better for me than a load of breadsticks and a large pizza.  Marinara is just one of the things I crave- I'm a sucker for a good pizza and the like, and I've been known to make off with a jar of pasta sauce and a loaf of white bread when the craving strikes.  My mind says 'YAY!', my gut says 'Yummy!' and my waist says 'Blue, one of these days you're going to find a bear mistaking you for a big blue house if you keep this up'.

I'm changing my lifestyle- I don't ride the campus buses if I can help it- walking up that hill four times a week is good exercise, even if it kills my knees.  At the same time, well... it's hard to keep the weight down unless you're militant about what you eat.  I don't really have access to a way to make my own meals three times a day, and that drives me crazy (it's one of the reasons I'm contemplating an apartment for next school year).

Maybe the Freshmen Fifteen is simply what people gain when they learn that it's simply easier to eat the stuff that gets put in the cafeterias and vending machines instead of worrying about their health.  Here's hoping I can lose it- and then some.

rees123