Interest check - Warhammer 40k - 30k Heresy era

Started by HairyHeretic, February 07, 2014, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenedictWolfe

I too lean towards freeform, but with a little patience and tutoring from you guys I can work with the system.

Ace Flyer

I'd also really prefer freeform, as it would let us avoid the whole experience/power issue. Plus, I've never liked much how the 40k systems are just weighted so much (in my opinion) towards combat.

TheGlyphstone is right, a Dark Heresy character given enough XP to match what a starting level Deathwatch character will probably be able to outshine the Space Marine, especially if the player min-maxes. This can be countered, of course, with gear as an option...A Guardsman might end up with some insane stats as a veteran, but it doesn't matter if he has a BS of 70--he's still not getting much done with a lasgun, or surviving many hits with flak armor.

Also, at that point, Dark Heresy characters level off quickly. They'll outshine Deathwatch characters in the beginning, but at that XP level, they start running out of stuff to buy with XP. You can get a lot of social skills, but, that's about it, really. The Deathwatch characters will start catching up to the Dark Heresy characters and surpass them eventually.

If we decide to go system, though, how about this compromise:

Human characters DON'T get the XP needed to start on par with Space Marine characters. If I remember right...A Rank 1 Deathwatch character has the same starting XP as what it takes for a Dark Heresy Character to reach Rank 9, the difference being that Deathwatch doesn't get to spend most of that how they want to.

Give normal human character some kind of boost. Don't put them at the same level...Maybe around Rank 4, or 5? It gives them room to show that they're experienced, and have been around enough to earn the attention to be put on Malcador's mission, but they aren't going to be outshining the Space Marines at that point.

IrishWolf

My vote is for freeform or a rules lit system.

TheGlyphstone

We could always use a non-FFG system. There is another thread on the FF forums about running a DH-RT-DW hybrid game on the FATE engine, which is both relatively rules-lite and free.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lirliel

If we aren't going to use the FFG system then I withdraw my request for playing the game, I like the system and I can't be bothered to learn another right now.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

TheGlyphstone

I'd rather stick with FFG rules myself, I like them. Just offering a non-FFG alternative as a compromise between this and total freeform.

HairyHeretic

I'm going to poke at the rules for a while and see what I can figure out.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.