CthulhuTech - Sectarian Crimes [Full]

Started by Jaded, April 14, 2014, 12:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGTDan

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 18, 2014, 10:04:15 PM
The other thing I keep seeing is 'for raids'. Which is why the MPs rather than full-size SMGs...Because MPs can be hidden. (Honestly, so can many full-size SMGs, but anyway).

Raids are not what to worry about. Raids take place with medical support on tap, backup, additional teams of officers, etc.

The thing to worry about is 'If we'd known we were going to run into this we'd have called a raid. With nukes. Oops.' And that's another reason the handgun cascade is useful in ways the Rifle isn't. Concealability, and always having it with you counts a lot stronger than the massive firepower you left on the other side of town.
Exactly my thoughts

On raids, raids usually involve the guys geared for it anyway and not beat cops or detectives. Raiding would be under the HRTs purview not agents.
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

CarnivalOfTheGoat

It's kind of like away-team-madness.

The only real reason for a detective to be along on a raid (although some departments make it a habit of having them on scene...not on point!) is if there's valid concern that important evidence/personnel might otherwise be overlooked that the detective familiar with the case could identify and advise on.

Which, I suppose, actually makes a lot more sense in CT, where having someone along who knew the target's magical capabilities and habits and might recognize a trap from knowing the guy's mindset would be more significant.

But again, you wouldn't put them on point.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

ChaoticSky

QuotePara-psychic is an entirely possible role for an FSB agent. They do have them.

The FSB's mandate is to deal with cults. The OIS's mandate is to deal with the supernatural. Unfortunately, if a cult gets enough power, it tends to invite the supernatural over for a cup of tea. (And the Special Service's mandate is to deal with 'This is way over your heads, because we said so.')

That's why the FSB tends to have mostly sensory para-psychics and investigative sorcerors on the payroll, while the OIS tends to snap up 'combat' para-psychics and sorcerors. (And the SS is almost entirely hard-hitting para-psychics and sorcerors). This is also why the OIS gets SPAT instead of SWAT.

I didnt mean to say that the FSB doesnt have paras, i know full well they do, hell thats half my character's backstory, how she went from a empath riding high on using her power to help people, to a virtual pariah when her second power eurpted and she got slapped with a Invasive tag. Then the FSB comes along and offers to make it go away if she works for them~

I meant more... it just seemed like alot of people were trying to reach for stuff we wouldnt normally have, or come from other places, and it was sparking alot of debate and fuss that simply wouldnt exist with a more modest character design. Its not a combat spec game, so it just seems like much ado for nothing. I will certainly appreciate having your cryokine around if things get hot (haw haw), but do you really need to stack freaky uzi-jitsu on top of it? Especially when you have to start twisting your assets into knots to get it. You may very well be the most powerful combat character in the group already if you develop your cyrokinesis, so why go through all the fuss to get another set of combat skills. Why not use the points to get assets or skills to diversify your character?

Thats just how it see it, i dont mean any offence, and im certainly not saying you cant. Its just that theres like a page or more debate on the subject, and as i understand the game, it largely boils down to pointless debate over pointless degrees of overkill. This isnt exalted, and i think we can safely assume that the GM isnt going to throw Hastur at us.

(and as a aside, you get a gold star for calling them Pyskers. *gives a eight pointed golden star* ;D)

SGTDan

Nothing like dozen heavily geared guys marching through a crime scene to make a detective have a coronary.
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

ReijiTabibito

Right.  That was my plan with the SMG Cascade - MPs as the always-carry gun, and then SMG as the 'raid' weapon, because it has a bigger magazine, and thus requires less reloading.  But if all we're doing is what you might see in your typical episode of Late Night Crime Fighting TV Show, then I have less compunction about giving up the gun.  Heck, it would give me more reason to take Kendo, since I could use it with my sword cane.

Jaded

I'm heading to bed shortly so will try to dig through this later.

The game is supposed to be investigation and similar with some combat, so while it is a good idea for characters to have some combat skills, being the elite is probably overkill in most situations.  The introduction draft I wrote specifically mentioned having people to call in if things get really bad (not that any of you have seen it, but that is the vein I was planning on having things in), at which point it is more about staying alive until help arrives then killing everything in sight.  There is also the power creep factor, if everyone is a master at combat, I will have to scale up the enemies to compensate. 

Skills related to law enforcement (investigation, social skills, etc) will probably come up much more often.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Darkling on April 18, 2014, 10:25:45 PM
I didnt mean to say that the FSB doesnt have paras, i know full well they do, hell thats half my character's backstory, how she went from a empath riding high on using her power to help people, to a virtual pariah when her second power eurpted and she got slapped with a Invasive tag. Then the FSB comes along and offers to make it go away if she works for them~

I meant more... it just seemed like alot of people were trying to reach for stuff we wouldnt normally have, or come from other places, and it was sparking alot of debate and fuss that simply wouldnt exist with a more modest character design. Its not a combat spec game, so it just seems like much ado for nothing. I will certainly appreciate having your cryokine around if things get hot (haw haw), but do you really need to stack freaky uzi-jitsu on top of it? Especially when you have to start twisting your assets into knots to get it. You may very well be the most powerful combat character in the group already if you develop your cyrokinesis, so why go through all the fuss to get another set of combat skills. Why not use the points to get assets or skills to diversify your character?

Thats just how it see it, i dont mean any offence, and im certainly not saying you cant. Its just that theres like a page or more debate on the subject, and as i understand the game, it largely boils down to pointless debate over pointless degrees of overkill. This isnt exalted, and i think we can safely assume that the GM isnt going to throw Hastur at us.

(and as a aside, you get a gold star for calling them Pyskers. *gives a eight pointed golden star* ;D)

The original was really meant as a response to SgtDan's statement that we only had two FSB agents, as I knew yours was intended to be, and they do accept para etc.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

SGTDan

All in all, when it comes to the game, I'm most likely the one to get shot. Mainly because I'm going to be the teams choice for entering a suspects house. Ideally I don't like getting shot (Surprise!) but it's likely to happen.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

ChaoticSky

Huh, hit a snag, im going to have to rework my character. Didnt realize that psychiatry was outside the easy reach of starting  player characters. It requires Education Master(5)+Literacy Adept(3)+Life Science Adept(3)+Medicine Expert(4), 15 out of the 17 points i had.

Shouldnt take too much work though.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Darkling on April 19, 2014, 01:01:52 AM
Huh, hit a snag, im going to have to rework my character. Didnt realize that psychiatry was outside the easy reach of starting  player characters. It requires Education Master(5)+Literacy Adept(3)+Life Science Adept(3)+Medicine Expert(4), 15 out of the 17 points i had.

Shouldnt take too much work though.

I give the game designers this much, they know when realism is important.

(Science is hard.)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ReijiTabibito

Thing.  We said that Handgun GP was in the normal realm for FSB Agents, no special training required?

SGTDan

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on April 19, 2014, 01:06:32 AM
Thing.  We said that Handgun GP was in the normal realm for FSB Agents, no special training required?

Correct

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 19, 2014, 01:05:58 AM
I give the game designers this much, they know when realism is important.

(Science is hard.)
I say realism is important in every aspect but that's just me
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

ChaoticSky

Quote from: SGTDan on April 19, 2014, 01:09:36 AMI say realism is important in every aspect but that's just me
Do you say that while having tea with the psychic, sorcerer and alien, or do you wait until after a long day of investigating the activities of cults who want to summon the Old Ones back into our world?  :P

SGTDan

Quote from: Darkling on April 19, 2014, 01:14:15 AM
Do you say that while having tea with the psychic, sorcerer and alien, or do you wait until after a long day of investigating the activities of cults who want to summon the Old Ones back into our world?  :P
I wait until after when all sit down and enjoy a nice hot cup of tea, you know a great way to unwind.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Just remember not to say it where the realistic great old ones can hear.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ChaoticSky

Question, can the two focused specializations we get at chargen be applied to psychic powers?

SGTDan

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 19, 2014, 03:32:50 AM
Just remember not to say it where the realistic great old ones can hear.
Hey now, I'm a fan of realism but Cthulhu game always did the mythos in a believable way. Like the Old Ones and their minions didn't make sense in a way that did make sense. Does that make sense? I don't know...
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

ChaoticSky

Quote from: SGTDan on April 19, 2014, 11:15:32 AM
Hey now, I'm a fan of realism but Cthulhu game always did the mythos in a believable way. Like the Old Ones and their minions didn't make sense in a way that did make sense. Does that make sense? I don't know...
Hehe yep.

Azathoth's symbol is a concentric circle. (Not concentric circles. Singular. does your brain hurt yet?  ;D)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Darkling on April 19, 2014, 08:55:58 AM
Question, can the two focused specializations we get at chargen be applied to psychic powers?

I can't find anything that suggests that they can't?

Yeah, I just checked again. The only references to focus/specialization are in spending experience to upgrade existing powers. There's nothing under the 'erupted para-psychic' (where you get your initial powers) to suggest that you can't spend starting points on para-psychic focuses.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

SGTDan

Looking at other characters I'm afraid I built my character wrong, I went with 5 being average. So I then built points off of that, putting points into ones that would be above average due to training. I avoided going to 8...
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: SGTDan on April 19, 2014, 03:57:57 PM
Looking at other characters I'm afraid I built my character wrong, I went with 5 being average. So I then built points off of that, putting points into ones that would be above average due to training. I avoided going to 8...

Can't find it, but if I remember right, 5 IS average for an average person.

But with 6 stats and 35+1 points, average for a player character is 6.

If you extreme anything, you end up having to skimp somewhere else, of course. :) Thus Moth's meek & weak...

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

SGTDan

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 19, 2014, 04:34:00 PM
Can't find it, but if I remember right, 5 IS average for an average person.

But with 6 stats and 35+1 points, average for a player character is 6.

If you extreme anything, you end up having to skimp somewhere else, of course. :) Thus Moth's meek & weak...
Yeah 5 is average hence my starting point. I went average then put points into the stats that would of been pumped up due to conditioning and training.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Jaded

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on April 19, 2014, 01:06:32 AM

I don't believe Handgun GP would require any special training beyond what an FSB agent could get.  (a special class or similar, but not months of specialized training). 

If you have a finished sheet and it isn't transferred to the Game Information and OOC thread, please PM it to me as I missed it.  Thanks!

Jaded

I am still missing three sheets (Darkling, ReijiTabibito, Pretty In Pink), so if you haven't already, please PM them to me.  I'd like to start by Sunday or Monday at the latest. 

ReijiTabibito

You'll have them.  I just ran into a spat of work at work this week.