Removing my hair over this -_-

Started by Adonis, September 10, 2011, 09:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adonis

Weight isn't really ever an issue, even when it comes to laptops with me. My first one was a monster, and weighed enough that the newer stuff really doesn't bother me.

As for the laptop or desktop debate, a desktop is out of the question. I haven't the space, nor another desk for a desktop. Normally I've got a cooling pad on the end of the bed and my lappy. I've got about three years of both IT schooling as well as some IT tech work under my belt, so I know what I'm after for the most part (gamer as well).

I'm gonna take a look at the Asus ROG line here in a few minutes. I've heard of the brand "Asus" before, but never really put stock in the non-advertised brands. Still, never hurts, especially if it saves my bank account. Thanks Legion :)
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

Nessy

Quote from: Adonis on September 16, 2011, 01:58:44 AM
Weight isn't really ever an issue, even when it comes to laptops with me. My first one was a monster, and weighed enough that the newer stuff really doesn't bother me.

As for the laptop or desktop debate, a desktop is out of the question. I haven't the space, nor another desk for a desktop. Normally I've got a cooling pad on the end of the bed and my lappy. I've got about three years of both IT schooling as well as some IT tech work under my belt, so I know what I'm after for the most part (gamer as well).

I'm gonna take a look at the Asus ROG line here in a few minutes. I've heard of the brand "Asus" before, but never really put stock in the non-advertised brands. Still, never hurts, especially if it saves my bank account. Thanks Legion :)

Asus used to make some really nice boards and some people still swear by them. They are not a no name brand by any stretch of the imagination. That company has been pretty solid for years with only a slip up now and then. I am not 100% about their systems, but it's not a no name walmart brand.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Adonis

You know, the longer this goes on, the more im beginning to think its something as simple as my cmos battery going dead. I remember from somewhere that one of the symptoms of a thing is that the computer wont even hit the POST.

It makes sense with the stuff ive been experiencing. The inconsistant led light codes dealing with a bad cmos now and again, as well as the fact that if I leave the computer unplugged overnight with no battery supply, this eventually happens. Once I tossed a battery in as a power supply, the cmos battery seems to draw enough power to pull up a bad checksum screen and tells me to reboot.
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's

Oniya

CMOS batteries aren't that pricey, are they?  Sounds like a good troubleshooting step, even considering the cramped architecture of a laptop (hated cracking those things open for that reason alone.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Adonis

Nah, the way mine is designed, i can just pull one of the panels off in the back like im trying to get at the memory slots.
O/O's

Oniya

Excellent!  I suppose enough IT people complained.  (Another setup that was hell was the original IMac.  Like shelling hard-shell crabs without even getting lunch out of it.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nessy

Quote from: Adonis on September 19, 2011, 01:08:02 PM
You know, the longer this goes on, the more im beginning to think its something as simple as my cmos battery going dead. I remember from somewhere that one of the symptoms of a thing is that the computer wont even hit the POST.

It makes sense with the stuff ive been experiencing. The inconsistant led light codes dealing with a bad cmos now and again, as well as the fact that if I leave the computer unplugged overnight with no battery supply, this eventually happens. Once I tossed a battery in as a power supply, the cmos battery seems to draw enough power to pull up a bad checksum screen and tells me to reboot.

I am not 100% sure but from I have read that even without a CMOS battery, the board should still POST but not boot. I also think my experience has suggested that, but I don't run into CMOS battery issues often.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

shojin

I remember having this same problem when I first put together my desktop. I thought it was my processor, or my power supply. I tried resetting the CMOS too. None of these solved it. What ended up being the problem actually, was that I had daisy chained together too many of the fans in my computer to one power cable from the supply.

Have you recently done any work on the inside of the computer?