News:

Main Menu

A Day Made of Glass

Started by Fae Brin, June 29, 2011, 11:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fae Brin

A Day Made of Glass

Do you think we could ever achieve that?

How soon?

or why not?
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

Sure

With the exception of flexible display, reading, and the billboard ones, there's nothing I saw there that we couldn't do right now, though it wouldn't be quite as elegant (think of how an iPhone actually works versus how the commercials show it working: That's what I mean). We might even be able to do those three, I just can't vouch for it.

Most of that stuff doesn't come out because there's not enough demand and it would be much more expensive than the standard alternatives. Why have super-windows that control the view when normal windows plus curtains do fine? etc.

One thing I will say is that the end devices might resemble thin computers than glass (think Kindles or iPads but in desk sizes etc) but I think that's largely immaterial to the point the videos making about the Home of the Future(tm).

Asuras

About the technology, I don't know.

I do remember that like 10-15 years ago computer displays that were an inch thick were unheard of outside of laptops and all of a sudden they dominated. Do you remember the 20-inch deep CRTs?

But that was a good ad.

Hemingway

I've wanted something like that ever since seeing the Iron Man movie.

I can't really speculate on the timeframe, though, but as has been pointed out, why not?

Vekseid

I'm reminded of AT&T's 'You Will' ads. Only they didn't bring much of it to you. I suspect the same will be true of Corning here. People will be laughing at the lack of self-driving cars and missing anticipatory AI. Why carry around so much clutter when all you need are a couple of ear implants and a nice pair of glasses or contact lenses?

Edit: Or holographic display:
Zebra Imaging ZScape Holographic Print: Seattle Hologram

HockeyGod

At the end I was waiting for the glass condoms at the end. I guess the world won't be totally perfect.

Pumpkin Seeds

Wonder what kind of touch screen features that condom would have?  Would it integrate with the vibrator?  Could I touch my cellphone to it and have my preferences loaded into the condom so I get just the right amount of lube?

Starlequin

Sounds like it would bring a whole new level of importance to antivirus software...  >.>
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Fae Brin

I realize that the touch technology isn't quite so future-esque-- but I guess what looked not-already-invented to me was the way they could put the 'cellphone'?? on the table and the data transferred.

Also-- it was all clear. How was the data being stored?

Quote from: Starlequin on June 30, 2011, 05:24:51 PM
Sounds like it would bring a whole new level of importance to antivirus software...  >.>

Also--That was a good one. I'd highfive you if I could. For the record.
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 

Saerrael

Wild guess with absolutely nothing to back it up;
data-crystals? Some sort of grid in the glass that can store information and conduct energy?

Fae Brin

I don't know enough to discount it?

or!

Alien technology!

-hopeful look-

Saerrael

I really have no idea. Those two ideas just came from (I think) scifi ;)

Also. Can you imagine having to clean/ keep clean all of those glass surfaces? Good god...!

Fae Brin

Maybe in the future everyone learns to pick up after themselves? so the mess is significantly lessened.

Will

Quote from: Fae Brin on June 30, 2011, 11:23:36 PM
Maybe in the future everyone learns to pick up after themselves? so the mess is significantly lessened.

Sadly, that's even sillier than flying cars. :(
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Fae Brin on June 30, 2011, 11:23:36 PM

We're discussing science fiction, not fantasy. ;D

Lilias

Think of all the employment prospects, though! Cleaning would be the elite career choice! ;D

Facetiousness aside, I do wish they had those interactive maps at bus/train/whatever stops. It would have made my life (as public transport staff) so much easier...
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Sure

Quote from: Lilias on July 02, 2011, 11:56:59 AM
Think of all the employment prospects, though! Cleaning would be the elite career choice! ;D

I went by a glass building (ie, every surface was windows) built by a Chinese bank and a tour guide said something like: "Now, the Chinese thought they were hiring an architect, but their English wasn't very good so they actually hired an out of work window washer. Well, he's not out of work anymore."

QuoteFacetiousness aside, I do wish they had those interactive maps at bus/train/whatever stops. It would have made my life (as public transport staff) so much easier...

The big fear I've seen with those is that they'll get stolen or broken.

QuoteI realize that the touch technology isn't quite so future-esque-- but I guess what looked not-already-invented to me was the way they could put the 'cellphone'?? on the table and the data transferred.

That one exists. It's already on the market, actually. Endorsed by Dr. Dre, even.

Fae Brin

Quote from: Sure on July 02, 2011, 07:58:18 PM
That one exists. It's already on the market, actually. Endorsed by Dr. Dre, even.

Atchally? Want.

-smirk- I guess you guys are right.. But what is life without hope? -sigh-

That's too bad because I really liked the idea of the bus thing.

Teke

As an engineer who works for Corning, I'm really excited that there's interest in this even on E!  The main issues with most of the techs shown off in the ad are two sided.  One, can Corning supply the glass needed to accomplish it, and two, can screen makers and other tech firms make the systems that actually do what was shown.

I can't speak to their problems, but I can let you know that on the glass front, we're not all that far away from anything in there.  We've had our glass put into a model apartment in Seattle, I believe, in the architectural setting, Hyundai displayed our glass in a concept car last year.  All of the outdoor panels could be easily protected with a thin layer of our Gorilla glass, and it's not like we don't see huge screens now... the new Cowboy's stadium?

Finally, at displayweek this spring, Corning showed off flexible glass to the public.  When we draw glass thin enough, it actually displays properties much like a polymer with still having all of the benefits of glass.  In our display, we just had a ribbon of glass constantly winding around a couple of mandrels at room temperature, but the ability to go further is there.

The only problem, like with most advanced tech, is cost.  I'd say that there's nothing in our video that couldn't be on the market within five years except for maybe the flexi-tablet, but that has much more to do with battery power than anything else.  But most everything in that video would cost an arm and a leg, and probably your other leg.  We will see these things start to penetrate the market in niche markets at first, but I think before you know, you'll start to see some of these things and hopefully look back to this video and look forward to the next thing!
A&A

dana eleanor

I am so bad with cleanliness. I would have a very hard time keeping it clean, but for those who want it, that would seem so cool. I would rather have my stove and my oven be the way they are.

DudelRok

I care much less about it all being with glass and a lot more about the integration... which doesn't have much to do with the glass, itself.

My only problem is the information saturation. I don't want every window in my house to display information, and I don't keep the IM option on my phone active. If I wanna IM people, I'm at my PC. I'm not a guy that needs all of that, or even has a smart phone. It just doesn't seem all that useful.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Reagan

Quote from: DudelRok on August 02, 2011, 11:37:39 AM
I care much less about it all being with glass and a lot more about the integration... which doesn't have much to do with the glass, itself.

My only problem is the information saturation. I don't want every window in my house to display information, and I don't keep the IM option on my phone active. If I wanna IM people, I'm at my PC. I'm not a guy that needs all of that, or even has a smart phone. It just doesn't seem all that useful.

I agree.  I don't watch much TV, with the sole exception of the few shows I follow.  I think mobile phones are enough of a double-edged modern intrusion.  The day I get messages flashing up on my bathroom mirror, I'm buying me a sledgehammer.

Duskborn

Do I think that some of this we will see real soon (or are already seeing in the case of the touch screen smart table - which also automatically integrates with most mobile devices)? Yes - definitely.

There are a few things that will remain possible, but unincorporated for a considerable period. Really, this ad was meant to achieve two distinct things, as I see it. 1.) Show consumers hey, this is possible if someone invests in it - feel free to start asking for it. 2.) Hey, potential developers, you could make this happen if you use Corning manufactured surface materials.

That's my two cents anyway. My own company sends out little video ads like this almost daily about the miracles that they believe could happen if someone used our products a particular way. Probably 3/4 of these videos are never even shown to the public. They are sent directly to different application manufacturers as part of a marketing campaign or R&D partnership bid.