A Tangled Skein of Imagination (rev. 2/1/2012) - Sci-Fi Stories

Started by Dreamweaver, April 14, 2009, 06:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamweaver

Some time has passed since I tossed around any new story ideas, simply because I have so many wonderful stories already active with my writing partners.  This does not mean, however, that I am averse to taking on another story - if that story is intriguing enough to inspire my muse.  I've put a couple of ideas down here simply because they have continued to tug at my creativity, but if you have some idea of your own that you'd like to propose to me for a story thread, please don't hesitate to send me a PM and ask.  I don't bite. 

Well, I do - but not on the first PM.  *winks*

What lies in Shadow...

I'm looking for a female (or a male who feels competent writing a female lead) to write a story in the universe of Roger Zelazny's 'Chronicles of Amber'.  I want a writing partner who's read and is a fan of the books, so if you've not read them it would really be a waste of your time and mine to pursue a story such as this.  If you have read them, and feel like it would be something interesting to explore more deeply, please PM me so that we can talk about possible ideas.  I haven't really fleshed this story out, but the universe is vast and really has limitless possibilities.  If you've ever played Amber Diceless Roleplaying, a bonus for you...  Let me know!

Necessary Rivals

It was in 2988 when sickly Katrina Steiner defied the odds and the prognosis of her doctors and nurses, taking control of and successfully piloting a BattleMech at the tender age of twelve.  By 2994 she had graduated from the Nagelring Academy, and by 3004 she had achieved the rank of Hauptmann-General.  Despite her meteoric rise in rank, General Steiner never fully left the pilot’s seat, and always felt more at home behind the controls of a fully armed and armored BattleMech than she did behind the edge of a politician’s desk.  Much to the dismay of her advisors, Katrina frequently took control of a Combat Lance and jumped into battle, plasma cannons and lasers blazing.

In 3005, after launching her Lance on a mission into the inner circle, Katrina’s dropship mysteriously disappeared from communications links somewhere in the inner circle.  She was thought to be dead for nearly a year, before her reappearance on the ice planet of Tharkad.  Once reemerging, Katrina became a dominant power in the political arena, throwing aside her traditional alliances and stepping forward to seize power in House Steiner, pushing her clan forward and into dominance within the Inner Circle.  She singlehandedly devised a coup to depose her uncle, Archon Alessandro Steiner, seizing power and leading House Steiner to form the Lyran Commonwealth.

During mid-3004, a young pilot named Morgan Kell formed The Kell Hounds Mercenary Corps alongside his brother, Patrick Kell.  The Kell Hounds quickly rose in notoriety as being one of the most capable and vicious Mercenary companies in existence, and Morgan Kell became known as a free-thinking Commander who fearlessly led his pilots into battle time and again versus seemingly insurmountable odds.  It quickly became apparent that if the money was sufficient, there was no job too dangerous that the feared Kell Hounds wouldn’t board their Jumpships in anticipation of epic combat.

Barely a year after the formation of the Kell Hounds, Morgan Kell was on a routine patrol commissioned by the Star League when his Lance disappeared from sensors and was presumed lost.  Morgan wasn’t heard from again until late in 3006, when he emerged mysteriously in the shadow of Katrina Steiner, paralleling her meteoric rise to power within House Steiner and her eventual appointment as Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth.  Although they never appeared in direct collusion, Steiner and Kell seemed to parallel each other through the years, each group’s progress quite similar in scope, continuing to become more and more powerful.  Though never detailed by either of the pair, it is rumored that the two had a much more detailed and intimate relationship than was documented in the archives.

This story is based in the BattleTech/Mechwarrior universe in the late 31st century – the theme is epic combat between robotic battle robots called ‘BattleMechs’.  It began as a pen-and-paper RPG in the 80’s and has spawned a number of video games and books, among other things.  I am looking for a female (or a male who feels up to the challenge of playing a strong-willed female) to play the role of Katrina Steiner, in the untold story of her meeting with her future mate, Morgan Kell.  Both are epic warriors, and at the time of their meeting they would consider each other to be foes, if not mortal enemies – Steiner being the heir apparent of a growing Clan, and Kell being the leader of a prominent and expanding BattleMech Mercenary Company.

In this story, both warriors end up stranded on a remote location somewhere upon the icy surface of Tharkad.  Much to their dismay – and their desire to kill each other, no doubt – they are forced to find a way to join forces against the power of nature, rather than both of them succumbing to the immeasurable cold and inhospitable conditions of the Tharkadian wilds.  It is inevitable that without their mutual cooperation, neither of the pair will survive, but to make that sacrifice goes against everything that they both have been raised to believe.

I’m not specifically looking for someone with intimate knowledge of the BattleTech/MechWarrior universe, but a general knowledge really is going to help.  If I need to explain to you what a BattleMech is, this story is probably not for you.  If you really, really feel the desire to write a story with me but you don’t know this universe, here’s a tip . . . Just talk to me.  Perhaps we can find something else that’s mutually entertaining and begin a story based upon that.  Interested writers please send me a PM, and we can discuss the possibilities along with the finer details of the story.

As with all my stories, these are not first-come, first serve.  I'm particular about my stories, and about whom I choose to write them with.  If you have an idea for a story and you think I'd be a good match for the other character, don't hesitate to send me a PM to pitch the idea.  I'm not extremely fast at posting, most often, as I have many things going on away from the computer, but I try to be consistent and at least give as good as I get from my partners.  If you're looking for multiple posts a day, however, you're probably better advised to look elsewhere.

Dreamweaver

playfullchick76

Wow, very deep ideas you have, I like them. Out of all three, the one that would interest me is the Battlemech one. I do know what a battlemech is, but as to the politics of it all, i dont know enough.

I would like to play out a sci fi rp with you, if you want, what else do you love in the sci fi verse that you want to rp in here.

Dreamweaver