Interest Check: Pathfinder Ravenloft Game

Started by CharlieSariel, January 07, 2012, 08:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieSariel

So here’s the thought:  Ravenloft in Pathfinder.  It’s Fantasy Horror gaming on the cusp of gaslight.  Here’s what I’m planning:

The basic setting is one of the Isles of Mist.  There’s no direct contact with any of the other realms, so for all intents and purposes, it will be an isolated setting no one traipsing in and out of the other realms as part of the story.

The Realm will be known as Brittania, and it is loosely based on the actual island of the UK, in terms of shape and size, sans Ireland.  There will be a couple of large cities, and a number of small villages throughout the land.  A full on Realm description will be posted in the game thread once it is determined that there is sufficient interest in the game concept.

Characters will be starting at low power (2nd or 3rd level), and I have a plot which can span years of character lives, so there is a lot of potential for character growth and development.  Characters will be created using the Pathfinder Point Buy system, with 20 points.  I will only be using the SRDs, the core Player’s Guide, and the Player’s Guide II for character creation.  Also, I will not be allowing psychic concepts at this point in time.

I will be trying to include multiple adventure types, but the bulk of the initial work will be a mystery, followed by the exposure of the plot, and of course, the stopping of the “Big Bad” as a climax.

Combat will be largely cinematic in nature, and I will warn everyone that while I will be judging success and failure of actions based on character sheets, I will not be relying on dice rolls for this game to function.

I will only be accepting a party of 4 characters for the game, and no more.  It will not be first come first served, and I will be picking and choosing from available character concepts.

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week

Callie Del Noire

Player's guide II? That isnt' pathfinder is it?

I confess I'd like to try something like a gunslinger or alchemist type. But I will wait to see if you put up more.

or

CharlieSariel

By Player's Guide II, I did mean the Advanced Player's Manual.  I still sometimes use old terminology  :P

I will be trying to avoid gunslingers, as the setting I have envisioned doesn't make use of firearms technology as a rule.  I will keep you posted on the setting as I discover whether or not writing up the whole thing will be worthwhile at present  :)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: CharlieSariel on January 07, 2012, 08:41:28 PM
By Player's Guide II, I did mean the Advanced Player's Manual.  I still sometimes use old terminology  :P

I will be trying to avoid gunslingers, as the setting I have envisioned doesn't make use of firearms technology as a rule.  I will keep you posted on the setting as I discover whether or not writing up the whole thing will be worthwhile at present  :)

Well i'm leaning towards the Alchemist more and more.. (been looking over the Archetypes like I told you in the PM).. and I know that not EVERY GM is happy with the gunslinger.. so I figured I'd ask first. :D better to ask before the data comes down.. wastes less of you time in the process.

Muse

Oooh!  Solid, I love the idea. 

I was in an adult Raveloft campaign forever.  It was awesome.  :) 

Is Britania too human heavy for another race to appear?  Maybe, say, a Caliban?
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

CharlieSariel

I'll be explaining the racial make up of the realm in more detail in the setting precis I'm preparing, but yes, I'm going to be going with a massively human-predominant realm.  Anything else at this point is going to be one of a kind at best, and even then, I'll have to consider carefully before allowing it.

Callie Del Noire

I confess to being stuck on Teiflings.. so I am stringently going human this time. :D

Muse

I have a concept for a Caliban monk who could be really fun. 

A Caliban has the statistics of a half orc, but they come about when the parent's are cursed. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

CharlieSariel

I'm familiar with the race, yeah.  I'll be honest, though, I am going to be giving preference to full humans for the game.  It's a better fit with the setting I have in mind.  I'm working on writing it all up formally, so that everyone will have a better idea of what to expect.

Muse

AndyZ

Something about this game catches my interest.  I'm not very knowledgeable on Pathfinder, but I used to know 3.5 and I'm told it's 95% the same.  I also know only bits and pieces of Ravenloft but have always wanted to try it out.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Muse

I can help you find your way around Pathfinder, bro. 

CharlieSariel

To make this easier for people to make decisions on character types and interest in the game, I'm including a brief rundown of the setting and the plot:

The Setting:

The Realm is called Brittania, shaped and sized exactly like the island of UK.  From there, things get a little different.  There are three major cities on the island, separated by large tracts of land.  In the southeast, roughly where London sits in the UK, is the island’s capital city of Kaerlud.  It’s primarily a fishing port, and straddles the only major inland river (the River Tafwys).  Apart from being the seat of government and civilization on the island nation, Kaerlud is also known for being the center of the nation’s military and navy, as well as the only shipyards in the country.  From Kaerlud, two main roads span the country.

The Great North Road follows the eastern coast all the way up to the northernmost city of Cathures.  This city, is the primary gathering point for all of the natural resource harvesting done from the northern mountain ranges.  A bit of a rough-and-tumble city, Cathures grew from its origins as a mining camp to the city it is today, and it maintains the same feel to it.  Almost a bordertown, Cathures is better known for its slightly dirty streets and less than couth inhabitants.  It is, however, a critical city for the development of practically everything in the country, thanks to being the primary location for the gathering of the granite blocks that are used in construction across the land.

The Westroad leads from Kaerlud across the vast farmlands to the very edge of the peatbogs in the far West, to the third city of Taff.  Founded by the peat-carvers who provide yet another valuable resource to the island nation, Taff is the third, and smallest of the settlements that can be called a City.  In addition to the abundant resources of the bogs, Taff also serves as the primary source of the nation’s alcoholic beverages, making this location a hotly preferred trading location.  Naturally, the commercial nature of its function flavours the people and city just as much as the other two are flavoured by their own functions.

Across the land in between the two cities, are myriad little villages, rarely more than a few dozen homes, and a couple of necessary services.  There are a few that grow slightly larger, at the conjunction of the farming roads that lead to the main highways, or at particularly large concentrations of one resource or another.  All in all, the land is sparsely, yet regularly populated, with a few notable exceptions.

Construction styles in the land are reminiscent of medieval Europe in general, with exposed timberframes, jettied upper floors, and steep-peaked roofs.  This tends to give the cobbled main streets a bit of a claustrophobic feel to them, with tiny alleys between them.  Side roads are often tightly packed dirt, barely wide enough for a cart, or two men side by side.

The whole northern quarter of the island (what is basically Scotland in the modern UK) is mountainous, with many well known veins of ores and a huge quantity of granite rock, which is used nation-wide as a primary building material.  There is a narrow band of relatively sparse heathland in the foothills, which then lead down to the Great Dark Wood.  This forest, which spans the entire middle third of the island nation is the only significant source of wood in the realm of sufficient size to manufacture with.  While copses and smallish woods do cover the land elsewhere, the Great Dark Wood is the biggest stretch of untamed and untouched forest in the nation.   Finally, in the southern third of the island, four fifths of it is taken up by arable land, well developed as farms stretching literally from the ocean’s edge to the borders of the bogs, which make up the lower southwestern corner of the island (in what is better known as Wales, in the modern UK).  While land formations sound largely contiguous, there are exceptions to the rules, of course, too numerous to name and count.  The ones listed here are the formations that are best known.

~*~*~*~

Before discussing the people of Brittania, it’s important to review their beliefs and how they came to have them.  While there are churches to various gods, those are not the most prevalent parts of their beliefs.  What drives their nightmares and keeps them locking their doors at night are the Fae.  Not the light, pleasant, elfs and nymphs of stories that make one glad and happy, but rather the dark ones that survive by eating people’s dreams until they have no mind left, and come in the night to steal away newborn babies to swell their ranks, leaving changeling children in their wake.  The realm of Brittania lives in constant terror of these Fae, and all of their myths and superstitions revolve around them.  They avoid rings of toadstools, and always remember to toss a handful of salt on the floor of the kitchen before bed. 

It should come as no surprise, then, that the only people of the realm of Brittania are Humans.  They will stand no others, as everything not human must, perforce, be created by the Fae, or be some manner of terrible changeling child, sent to vex mankind and destroy all that they have built.  They have myths about the stout folk, and the dwarves, and the terrible brutish goblin-kind that others know as caliban.  Even their faiths are built, in some way, around this mythology of the Fae, with their gods and goddesses forming some manner of protection from the terrible dream-hunters. 

Faith-wise, the people are split, much like their realm is.  In the Cities, and indeed, even throughout the rest of the Realm, a number of gods and goddesses represent a small pantheon of regular worship.  These gods and goddesses have churches (sometimes communal in nature in smaller communities), hold services, and serve the function of religions throughout the medieval world.  The other side of the people’s faith rests on a much much older religion.  In the rural countryside, and in places where there are those who refuse to give up the old ways, a pagan faith blossoms.  Naturistic in form, these druids practice the old rites of sacrifice and the worship of nature itself.  Naturally, the pantheonistic religions strive to eliminate this ‘old faith,’ but they continue to fail.

The Faiths:

There are now three main religions in Brittania, as follows:

The Pantheon
   The Pantheon is a conglomeration of 5 inter-related and commonly worshipped deities in the standard style.  They represent external forces who are worshipped to increase or decrease their effects on people’s lives.  The Five are worshipped together as a whole, and individually invoked on separate occasions depending on the need of the individual worshipper.  On the whole, this religion allows (and encourages) its worshippers to believe in external forces to help them with their daily lives.  The individual members of the Pantheon are as follows:
   The Champion – The stereotypical God of Good, the Champion is represented in the Sun, and such concepts as Protection, and War.  The Champion is often invoked in any of the above cases, as well as by many paladins when entering combat. {LG Deity, Domains of Sun, War, Protection, Glory, Nobility}
   The Goddess – She is the primary female deity in the pantheon, representing all things motherhood, including such things as agriculture, husbandry, and many of the day-to-day home-making tasks.  {NG Deity, Domains of Plant, Animal, Community, Healing}
   The Dark One – This is the quintessential God of Evil.  The Dark One is often invoked in inverse, rather than for actual effect.  His worshippers generally keep quiet, and go along with the crowd to avoid drawing attention to themselves.  Other worshippers of the Patheon as a whole only invoke the Dark One in attempts to divert his attention away from themselves, rather than draw it to them.  {LE Deity, Domains of Darkness, Death, Destruction, Evil, Madness, Trickery}
   The Smith – A deity devoted to handicraft and construction, this god is commonly invoked in any manner of ways in which the common worker produces a living. {LN Deity, Domains of Artifice, Fire, Strength, Travel}
   The Sage – The final deity in the pantheon is the repository of learning and knowledge.  Like his namesakes throughout the land, he is invoked in every case where someone wishes to learn something.  {N Deity, Domains of Knowledge, Magic, Repose, Runes, Void}
   Priests of this faith are given great respect within the main cities of the Realm, and while it’s a little lessened in the rural portions of the realm, they are still given at least lip service respect.

The Old Faith
   This religion was prevalent across the land in ages gone by, before The Pantheon became the officially recognized faith in the cities.  It can still be found in smaller communities, and the rural backwaters of the land.  Sacrificial stones and standing circles still dot the landscape, seemingly deserted, but secretly used on nights of the full moon and so forth.  A naturistic faith, it doesn’t rely on any external personifications of its faith (i.e., Gods and Godesses) to protect its followers.  Instead, they follow the cycles of life and death as nature intended, and allow the realm to take its path in whatever manner the world chooses to have happen.
   The priests of this religion are Druids one and all, and they practice their particular faith in the traditional manner, although virgin sacrifices have all but ceased in general.  They do still gather condemned criminals and perform the ancient wickerman ceremonies from time to time, however.  Given their grass roots nature, these priests are treated with immense respect by their followers, and often looked at as de facto lawmen in the more remote areas of the Land.  Within the city, however, they are looked upon as bygones and has-beens, and usually ignored in terms of faith.

The New Faith
   As mentioned below, the New Faith is less than six months old, and has no specific following, or even dogma.  The priests of this faith are cowled monks who do not openly preach, but do answer questions posed to them.  They are largely secretive, and when asked, they only ever talk about shrugging off the shackles of the Pantheon and the Old Faith, and learning to be self-reliant.  Only people can guide how people live.

{Game rules – I will be accepting Human characters.  With a stupendously good argument, I may accept a changeling, as per the Eberron race.  Nothing else will fit, as all other races are hated with a passion, and considered evil beyond words.  Faiths and religions will be provided in brief if they become needed.

While I will be open and understanding to most character concepts for this game, there are some which truly don’t fit.  Anything with a full mariner concept will be awkward, and I will absolutely say No to the Gunslinger class.  The technology level of the realm doesn’t really allow for guns in common usage.}

~*~*~*~

The basic Plot:

Three months ago, the capital city of Kaerlud saw a miracle.  A block of abandoned buildings were razed, and literally almost overnight, a massive new cathedral rose up in their place.  This huge cathedral was significantly different from all the other buildings in the city, with flying buttresses, looming gargoyles, and majestic gothic style.  The cathedral is the center of a third faith which has taken root there and ever so slowly spread through the populace.  Unlike the Pantheists who preach faith and dependence on their gods and goddesses, and unlike the Old Faith who worship nature and the wild as their protector and purpose, this New Faith preaches only self-sufficiency.  The people of Brittania need to stand up for themselves, and stop relying on external forces for their protection and empowerment.  While the local government is not all that thrilled with the concept, they make no moves against this New Faith.  Strangest of all are the monks of this New Faith.  Cowled so deeply that none see their faces, they dress in black robes only, and do not venture far from their Cathedral.  They hold no services, and demand no tithes.

This New Faith has grown, and gathered a small congregation of sorts.  Only a month ago, they established their first outreach church in a small village near the border of the Great Dark Wood.  Within days, the people of the village had eschewed their former faiths to a man, and were all claimed to the New Faith.  By the end of the week, however, no news came forth from this village.  No traders arrived with their crop, or the harvestings of the Dark Wood.  The monks in the capital said nothing, and simply walk away from conversations about what happened there.

Yesterday, the government of Kaerlud has put out a call.  They are in need of a group of adventurers to trek to the village, two weeks out, to discover what has happened, and report back…

Sabriel

It will come no doubt as no surprise to you Charlie that I am interested in this, I will post up a character idea when I decide upon which would be best of the multitude of ideas your setting inspires and conjures forth in my crazy little shoe box of a brain.

:-)

Muse

Is someone like this good, Charlie? 

Name: Aiden Nightstone
Race: Human
Class: Wizard (Evoker: Cannot Enchant or Illusion)
Appearence: Small, waifish platinum blond gilr in indigo wizard's robes. 
Motivation:  Make her parents proud of what she's done with the art they taught her before going to sea.  (They have yet to return.)

Str    8
Dex   12
Con   12
Int   20
wis   10
Chrs   11

Hit Points   11

Armor Class   11(15 with Mage Armor)

Saving Throws:
Fort   0
Refl   0
Will   3

Evocation Arcane School:

Evokers revel in the raw power of magic, and can use it to create and destroy with shocking ease.

Intense Spells (Su)

Whenever you cast an evocation spell that deals hit point damage, add 1/2 your wizard level to the damage (minimum +1). This bonus only applies once to a spell, not once per missile or ray, and cannot be split between multiple missiles or rays. This bonus damage is not increased by Empower Spell or similar effects. This damage is of the same type as the spell. At 20th level, whenever you cast an evocation spell you can roll twice to penetrate a creature's spell resistance and take the better result.

Force Missile (Sp)

As a standard action you can unleash a force missile that automatically strikes a foe, as magic missile. The force missile deals 1d4 points of damage plus the damage from your intense spells evocation power. This is a force effect. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier.

CharlieSariel

That is definitely more inline with the setting, Muse, thank you!  I am curious, though, how you managed to get an Intelligence of 20 for a starting human...?

Callie Del Noire

EMERALD DANTE
Female Human Alchemist (Chirurgeon) 2
NG Medium Humanoid (Human)
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 12
Init +2; Senses Perception +8
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 15, touch 11, flat-footed 14. . (+4 armor, +1 Dex)
hp 13 (2d8)
Base Atk +1; CMB +1; CMD 12
Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +1
Resist Poison Resistance +2
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Spd 20 ft.
Melee Mace, Light +1 (1d6/20/x2) and
. . Unarmed Strike +1 (1d3/20/x2)
Ranged Bomb +4 (1d6+4 Fire) and
. . Crossbow, Light +3 (1d8/19-20/x2)
Special Attacks Bomb 1d6+4 (6/day) (DC 15)
Alchemist (Chirurgeon) Spells Known (CL 2, 1 melee touch, 3 ranged touch):
1 (3/day) Enlarge Person (DC 15), Jump (DC 15), Cure Light Wounds (DC 15)
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Feats Alertness, Brew Potion, Throw Anything
Skills Acrobatics -4, Appraise +8, Climb -6, Craft (Alchemy) +9, Diplomacy +2, Escape Artist -4, Fly -4, Heal +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +9, Knowledge (Nature) +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Perception +8, Profession (Merchant) +5, Ride -4, Sense Motive +4, Sleight of Hand +0, Spellcraft +9, Stealth -4, Swim -6, Use Magic Device +6 Modifiers Alchemy +2
Languages Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Orc

SQ Infused Curative, Mutagen (DC 15) (Su), Poisoning (Standard Action) (Ex), Spontaneous Healing (5/day)
Combat Gear Armored Coat, Bolts, Crossbow (10), Crossbow, Light, Mace, Light; Other Gear Alchemist's Kit, Backpack (26 @ 42 lbs), Bedroll, Blanket, winter, Flint and steel, Healer's kit (10 uses), Lantern, bullseye, Oil (1-pint flask) (10), Pouch, belt (1 @ 0 lbs), Rations, trail (per day) (10), Tent, Small
--------------------

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Alchemy +2 (Su) +2 to Craft (Alchemy) to create alchemical items, can Id potions by touch.
Bomb 1d6+4 (6/day) (DC 15) (Su) Thrown Splash Weapon deals 1d6+4 fire damage.
Infused Curative At 2nd level, a chirurgeon's extracts of cure spells automatically act as infusions, and can be used by non-alchemists. When a chirurgeon prepares his extracts, he may choose to render any or all of his infused curatives inert and prepare othe
Mutagen (DC 15) (Su) Mutagen adds +4 to a Physical attribute, -2 to a mental attribute, and +2 natural armor for 10 minutes/level.
Poison Resistance +2 (Ex) +2 to save vs. Poison.
Poisoning (Standard Action) (Ex) Normal: Apply poison to a weapon as a standard action.
Spontaneous Healing (5/day) The alchemist gains the ability to heal from wounds rapidly. As a free action once per round, he can heal 5 hit points as if he had the fast healing ability. He can heal 5 hit points per day in this manner for every 2 alchemist levels he possesses. I
Throw Anything Proficient with improvised ranged weapons.  +1 to hit with thrown splash weapons.

Muse

*chuckles* 

Well,
A.  We're doing PAthfinder, Humans (like half elves and half orcs) get to choose 1 +2. 
B.  It all started when i was talking to Andy Z about point buy.  He showed me 4th edition D&D point spreads that usualy invovlve 1 18 or 2 sixteens and the rest not so good. 

I thought I'd prove that a charecter like that was playable.  :) 

Here's a bit more of Aiden, at a level 2 build. 

Name: Aiden Nightstone
Race: Human
Class: Wizard (Evoker: Cannot Enchant or Illusion) 2
Appearence: Small, waifish platinum blond gilr in indigo wizard's robes. 
Motivation:  Make her parents proud of what she's done with the art they taught her before going to sea.  (They have yet to return.)

Str    8   +1
Dex   12   +1
Con   12   +1
Int   20   +5
wis   10   +0
Chrs   11   +0

Hit Points   11

Armor Class   11(15 with Mage Armor)

Saving Throws:
Fort   0   +1
Refl   0   +1
Will   3   +5

Base Attack   +1
--Melee   +0
--Missile +2
----CMB +2
----CMD 13

Quarterstaff
--TAB +0
--Damage d6-1
--Crit 20X2

Light Crossbow (Masterwork Bolts)
--TAB +3
--Damage d8
--Critical 19X2

Dagger
--Damage d4-1
--critical 19X2

Class Abilities:
Arcane Bond:  "The Nightstone":  A golden ring set with a silver flecked saphire. 
Cantrips:
Concentration:  d20+13 (Class +2, Intelegence +5, Trait +2, Feat +4)
Evocation Arcane School:
--Intense Spells (Su):  Whenever you cast an evocation spell that deals hit point damage, add 1/2 your wizard level to the damage (minimum +1). This bonus only applies once to a spell, not once per missile or ray, and cannot be split between multiple missiles or rays. This bonus damage is not increased by Empower Spell or similar effects. This damage is of the same type as the spell. At 20th level, whenever you cast an evocation spell you can roll twice to penetrate a creature's spell resistance and take the better result.
--Force Missile (Sp):  As a standard action you can unleash a force missile that automatically strikes a foe, as magic missile. The force missile deals 1d4 points of damage plus the damage from your intense spells evocation power. This is a force effect. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier.

Feats: 
Combat Casting
Expert Cipher
Scribe SCroll

Skills: 
Appraise      2 +3 +5
Craft: Alchemy      2 +3 +5
Craft: Scribe      1 +3 +5
K. Arcana      2 +3 +5
K. Local: Britania   2 +3 +5
K. History      2 +3 +5
K. Religion      1 +3 +5   
Linguistics      2 +3 +5
Spellcraft      2 +3 +5

Spells/Day:
L 0   
E. 

L 1
E. Burning Hands

Spellbook:
Alarm
Burning Hands
Endure Elements
Identify
Magic Missile
Mage Armor
Snapdragon Fireworks

CharlieSariel

@Muse>  Thank you so much for the explanation.  As soon as you mentioned it, I had myself an "a-ha!" moment, and remembered just such a thing.  As for the character itself, it looks well balanced, and would indeed fit as a nice low-level character with potential for growth.  Thanks for letting me see her as her 2nd level incarnation, as that's where the campaign will be starting.

@Callie>  She does indeed look well put together as a character.  I am somewhat confused about something, though.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but in taking the Chirurgeon alternate class, does not an Alchemist lose the Poisoning ability?

I'm still looking for a full party, as I'm not going to be up for running an extra character as well as all of the NPCs.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: CharlieSariel on January 09, 2012, 07:21:36 PM

@Callie>  She does indeed look well put together as a character.  I am somewhat confused about something, though.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but in taking the Chirurgeon alternate class, does not an Alchemist lose the Poisoning ability?

Poison Use.. yes.. Poisoning NO. IE.. I CAN poison myself.. but since there are not that many 'harmless' poisons I don't see her using posions.

CharlieSariel

With apologies for taking so long to respond to this, thank you for the clarification, Callie, but I wouldn't have thought that being able to use Poisons deserved an (Ex) entry under Special Abilities unless there was something more to it than the same poison using abilities that everyone has, hence my question about it.  :)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: CharlieSariel on January 10, 2012, 10:32:29 PM
With apologies for taking so long to respond to this, thank you for the clarification, Callie, but I wouldn't have thought that being able to use Poisons deserved an (Ex) entry under Special Abilities unless there was something more to it than the same poison using abilities that everyone has, hence my question about it.  :)

Now worries.. just noticed it when I posted myself.. so I went to reread the Archetype.. Poisoning is something ANYONE has.. (though it's a class style thing for Alchemists) Poison use exists in 1 race, and 2 classes

Callie Del Noire

We still need a front line fighter type.. and possibly a healer and/or skill monkey

Callie Del Noire

CharlieSariel

I appreciate your keen-ness for the game, Callie  :)

I'm willing to modify the encounters a little to accommodate a "lighter" party, but a party of entirely second-tier and backup characters would be disastrous.  Hopefully, we'll hear from other interested parties in the coming week.