Sword Art Online: Yuri Edition -Take 2 (f/f, Bon)

Started by Daril, April 24, 2015, 10:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daril

Edit: I'm still interested in potential players since games often shrink a bit when they actually launch.  However it's getting a little crowded here at the moment so I want to see how things pan out with the current set of proposed characters before I start adding a lot more.  That being said, if you're interested in the game send me a PM.

I managed to get a yuri (f/f) themed Sword Art Online RPG started a few months ago, but two of the key players had to drop out due to their real life schedules.  I am currently attempting to gather some new players for a reboot.  Ideally I would like to get three or four players, but can start with less since additional characters can join in later on.

My plan is for this RPG to start right at the beginning on the first level of Aincrad and timeskip ahead later on.  I'm not keen on doing a lot of low level grinding but I do want to take the time to establish the characters and how they interact with each other.  Classification will be BON in case some of the girls prove to be kinky.  :P

This is my character, Sara McMillan (screen name: Artemis), a foreign student studying at a Japanese university.  She was an archer in the previous game, though she might be something else this time around.  It may depend how the overall group shapes up.

Artemis

I'm hoping to get a group of characters that is nicely balanced in terms or roles, personalities, and appearance.  I'd also kind of like it if one or two of them were people Sara knows from university, as that would put them together right off the bat.

Here are some nice images that players may be able to base characters on.  Players may want to use their own images but I wanted to put these ones out there as possibilities.  I've tried to match some of them to form "real life" and "in game" pairs, even though I don't necessarily require both types of image.

Is anyone interested in joining in?

Lynnette

Interested. I'm not the biggest fan of SAO, but the idea is nice, so I'm in. I like the top set of images <3
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

SmilingFox

Count me as interested. I'd probably play the petite/independent/tomboy archetype if anything. Sort of a fragile speedster dagger-user combat wise, with a very distrustful personality. She'd be willing to work with others, but wouldn't open up very easily and would have a rater abrasive personality.

She'd also be the kind of person that takes gaming very seriously, even before the whole 'death game' thing. The kind of person that puts effort into mastering skills and not just relying on numbers, and who would seek out difficult fights purely for the challenge. The whole 'if you die you die' aspect would curb some of that, but she'd still be a bit of an adrenaline junkie.

If this sounds okay, I'll try and find a decent picture and come up with a name.

Daril

@Reaper -Is it the writing you don't like, or the setting?

@SmilingFox -The main thing I'm not sure about is whether a character like the one you're proposing would be inclined to join a group.  A character who occasionally encounters the group and eventually gets persuaded to join could be interesting, but right now I'm looking to establish a "core" of sorts.

I suppose I should provide a bit more detail about Sara/Artemis.  She's not much of a gamer, she got convinced to try SAO because of how cool it is. She's a fairly practically minded person, so her initial reaction is probably to wait and see what happens rather than immediately rushing off to start leveling up.  She's also rather assertive by Japanese standards.  She might be an archer again this time around but I've also been considering a polearm like a halberd.

SmilingFox

I could imagine the character I'm proposing joining the group, at least initially, out of convenience. She's set ground rules, of course, and would probably be rather difficult to work with at first, but the benefits of grouping tend to outweigh the downside of working with others in MMO's. As time passes she'd probably start to stick with them out of habit if nothing else, and eventually grow attached to them, but she still wouldn't be the lovey-dovey sort except under very private circumstance.

Thinking on it a bit more, for background purposes I was considering her being rather sickly in real life, hence her fixation on video games. She puts so much effort into them because she can't do so many things others take for granted, and so it bothers her immensely when people say things like 'It's just a game.' or 'You should go out more often' or 'Get a life'. A part of her is actually glad that she can pass for normal in SAO.

Also, she isn't exactly comfortable with her sexuality yet. She knows she's gay, but actually telling the people in her life that, or even outing herself in a relatively anonymous setting like SAO is a bit much for her. (I'm not sure if it was possible in the original SAO, but if you allow it I would even have her go as far as making a Male avatar before Kayaba's whole 'you now look like yourself' trick. She chose it so she could have a shot at maybe romancing a girl without outing herself. I wouldn't actually spend any time in the Rp with her pretending to be male though.)

Daril

Haha, I was actually thinking of doing something similar with Artemis.  Though in her case she would be doing it more for fun.  See what it's like, and get a chance to flirt a bit with her friend(s) from university (I'm thinking her initial avatar is rather bishounen).  Of course it might depend if people are comfortable with that or not considering that I'm billing this as a yuri rpg.

Lynnette

Quote from: Daril on April 25, 2015, 12:19:16 PM
@Reaper -Is it the writing you don't like, or the setting?

@SmilingFox -The main thing I'm not sure about is whether a character like the one you're proposing would be inclined to join a group.  A character who occasionally encounters the group and eventually gets persuaded to join could be interesting, but right now I'm looking to establish a "core" of sorts.

I suppose I should provide a bit more detail about Sara/Artemis.  She's not much of a gamer, she got convinced to try SAO because of how cool it is. She's a fairly practically minded person, so her initial reaction is probably to wait and see what happens rather than immediately rushing off to start leveling up.  She's also rather assertive by Japanese standards.  She might be an archer again this time around but I've also been considering a polearm like a halberd.

Ah, it's the writing. The setting and all was really cool, but the writing was shit, felt like some 15 year old's power fantasy.

I'll admit I was planning on doing something along the lines of what SmilingFox is speaking off, so I'll return to the drawing board for now. I'm thinking of having a med. armor curved sword build, or something along those lines.

Also, if SmilingFox want to have his character be a bit more of the resilient kind, then it could work if his character was in the beta along with someone else, (Which would make it easier to skim through the first segments of the game, letting us get to the juicier bits sooner), and then having agreed to meet up when the game was released.

Oh yeah, as a last thing, I don't think bows were a thing in SAO, wasn't it limited to throwing knives, blades, (including axes and maces etc.) and polearm-type weapons, along with shields?
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Daril

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on April 25, 2015, 01:24:44 PM
I'll admit I was planning on doing something along the lines of what SmilingFox is speaking off, so I'll return to the drawing board for now. I'm thinking of having a med. armor curved sword build, or something along those lines.

Also, if SmilingFox want to have his character be a bit more of the resilient kind, then it could work if his character was in the beta along with someone else, (Which would make it easier to skim through the first segments of the game, letting us get to the juicier bits sooner), and then having agreed to meet up when the game was released.

Oh yeah, as a last thing, I don't think bows were a thing in SAO, wasn't it limited to throwing knives, blades, (including axes and maces etc.) and polearm-type weapons, along with shields?

Do you mean you were thinking of playing an independent, standoff-ish Beta tester?  I thought you were thinking of doing something based on the bookworm girl in the first set of images (who could be standoff-ish but doesn't really look it)?  Or did you just mean that you liked the bookworm girl's design?

I don't actually want to rush through the initial sections too fast, because I want to establish how the characters interact with each other.  I do agree with not wanting to get too caught up in low level grinding though.

We didn't see any bows in the first arc of SAO, but there didn't seem to be anything saying there weren't any either.  ;)  So I think it's okay if Artemis (or someone else's character) is an archer.

Lucetta

This is also relevant to my own interests. I am very capable of playing a female who starts as a male character with great leadership skills against Red Players through Beta but is revealed for their true gender after the "Mirror" item is used. This would be a character who breaks the meta their own unique way.

Lynnette

Quote from: Daril on April 25, 2015, 01:52:40 PM
Do you mean you were thinking of playing an independent, standoff-ish Beta tester?  I thought you were thinking of doing something based on the bookworm girl in the first set of images (who could be standoff-ish but doesn't really look it)?  Or did you just mean that you liked the bookworm girl's design?

I don't actually want to rush through the initial sections too fast, because I want to establish how the characters interact with each other.  I do agree with not wanting to get too caught up in low level grinding though.

We didn't see any bows in the first arc of SAO, but there didn't seem to be anything saying there weren't any either.  ;)  So I think it's okay if Artemis (or someone else's character) is an archer.

No, the medical condition thing, not being independent-ish. And yeah, I was planning on using the appearance of the bookworm-girl, it doesn't mean her personality will entirely reflect that.

No, I didn't mean it like that, just not get caught up in low-level grinding. Being able to easily advance, without going too far ahead of anyone. Think in between Kirito and the average player. Knowing where to go and all the good grinding-spots in the lowest tiers, knowing the mechanics of the game etc. Without being too OP.

I think at some point someone asked why there was no magic, and someone said that it was because the game was purely designed around swords. Not that it matters though, there's no big text saying that we are obliged to sticking to canon.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Sessha

Well if we are looking for Archetypes of characters how about the protective big sister type?
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Daril

Quote from: Fyri on April 25, 2015, 02:04:23 PM
This is also relevant to my own interests. I am very capable of playing a female who starts as a male character with great leadership skills against Red Players through Beta but is revealed for their true gender after the "Mirror" item is used. This would be a character who breaks the meta their own unique way.

Is everyone in this game planning to play their character as a guy before the big reveal?  :D

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on April 25, 2015, 02:33:20 PM
No, the medical condition thing, not being independent-ish. And yeah, I was planning on using the appearance of the bookworm-girl, it doesn't mean her personality will entirely reflect that.

No, I didn't mean it like that, just not get caught up in low-level grinding. Being able to easily advance, without going too far ahead of anyone. Think in between Kirito and the average player. Knowing where to go and all the good grinding-spots in the lowest tiers, knowing the mechanics of the game etc. Without being too OP.

I think at some point someone asked why there was no magic, and someone said that it was because the game was purely designed around swords. Not that it matters though, there's no big text saying that we are obliged to sticking to canon.

Okay, so I was looking at it from the wrong angle...

If you're dropping the ill girl angle, would you be up for your character being one of Sara's friends from the university she's studying at?  And if that's the case, would you mind if Sara tries to flirt with her when she's in her pre mirror reveal bishounen guise?  :D

Speaking of the ill girl thing though, it could potentially lead to some tension between the ones who are really eager to get out of the game and someone like SmilingFox's character who has less reason to be eager.
Quote from: Sessha on April 25, 2015, 02:49:18 PM
Well if we are looking for Archetypes of characters how about the protective big sister type?
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Could work, though I'm a little unsure whether we've got any "little sister" type characters for her to protect right now...

Sessha

Eh she's an older big sister type. Anyone not within like a year or two possibly even three is younger sister material for her.  ;D ;D ;D
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Lucetta

Quote from: Daril on April 25, 2015, 02:56:59 PM
Is everyone in this game planning to play their character as a guy before the big reveal?  :D

Or I could just go with my character being a solo huntress and leathercrafter that every male wants to chase, but can never catch up with.

Spear Berserker?

Lynnette

Quote from: Fyri on April 25, 2015, 03:49:32 PM
Or I could just go with my character being a solo huntress and leathercrafter that every male wants to chase, but can never catch up with.

Spear Berserker?

Fixed :D

Well it was broken for me anyways, dunno about everyone else.

Quote from: Daril on April 25, 2015, 02:56:59 PM

Okay, so I was looking at it from the wrong angle...

If you're dropping the ill girl angle, would you be up for your character being one of Sara's friends from the university she's studying at?  And if that's the case, would you mind if Sara tries to flirt with her when she's in her pre mirror reveal bishounen guise?  :D

Could work, though I'm a little unsure whether we've got any "little sister" type characters for her to protect right now...

I'm not planning for it.

Indeed you were.

Sure, I don't mind having ______ be a friend from university. I'll likely have her be a maths major or something. And no, I don't mind, by all means go ahead <3

Big sister is just a trope for someone overly caring, basically combining awesome with even more awesome, combined to the ultimate being of awesome. A person perfect in every way shape and form, personality-wise anyways, it won't necessarily carry on to video games, but it could to a non-super-OP-extent.

Quote from: Fyri on April 25, 2015, 02:04:23 PM

Interesting, because I'm pending on having my character be a red player, in the beta anyways. PvPer, wouldn't carry on to after it becomes a death-game of course though.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Daril

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on April 25, 2015, 05:07:37 PM

Fixed :D

That outfit seems a tad skimpy for SAO.  :D

Sure, I don't mind having ______ be a friend from university. I'll likely have her be a maths major or something. And no, I don't mind, by all means go ahead <3

Okay, so those two will be together at the start.  Now to figure out how to get the other characters into a group with them...

Interesting, because I'm pending on having my character be a red player, in the beta anyways. PvPer, wouldn't carry on to after it becomes a death-game of course though.

Who all is planning to play a Beta tester anyway?  That's not something I was planning to do with Artemis (which might give her some motivation to link up with people who know the game -though I think her initial reaction is going to be "find an Inn for the night and hope this craziness blows over by tomorrow morning"  :P).

Lynnette

Quote from: Daril on April 25, 2015, 05:44:06 PM
Who all is planning to play a Beta tester anyway?  That's not something I was planning to do with Artemis (which might give her some motivation to link up with people who know the game -though I think her initial reaction is going to be "find an Inn for the night and hope this craziness blows over by tomorrow morning"  :P).

I could always just have my character pull yours along? And I think it's merely because beta testers are like, the cool kids on the block. And it's convenient in a lot of ways plot-wise to have at least a part-beta group. In a game like this, lagging behind from the start is pretty much just locking you there, at least that's how I took it from the explanations given in the show.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Daril

It actually makes sense that Artemis was introduced to the game by a Beta tester friend.  I'm just concerned about having too many Beta testers around her since I may be using her to keep the game moving.  In that sense, I want her to be assertive rather than always being deferential.

I guess overall we need to start getting these characters figured out and then figure out how we're going to get them together in a group.

Edit: Yes, this post is different from what Reaper quoted.  I made some edits for clarity.

Lynnette

Quote from: Daril on April 25, 2015, 06:02:56 PM
It actually makes sense that Artemis was introduced to the game by a Beta tester friend.  I'm just concerned about having too many Beta testers around her since I may be using her to keep the game moving.  In that sense, I want her to be assertive, not deferential.

I guess overall we need to start to flesh out the characters so that we can figure out how to start fitting them together.

Understandable. But, if I remember correctly, beta testers only really knew shit up to floor seven, and new players would get the fancy-fancy handbook that I remember the big black guy complained over nobody reading. So unless people kept their mouth shut about stuff they found (Which would be kind-of-relevant if we decide to make it a plot-point at some point. Say; "I know of this amazing place on floor five, I completely emptied it at the time so nobody else would know about it, it'd just appear as a graveyard, so when we get there we need to quickly get there and pick up the stuff before anyone else does".).

And if she has a more leader-like personality, it would all work out anyways. Some people just work better by having someone tell them what to do after all, and as long as she's not a complete idiot, she should be able to pick up pretty quickly.

Well, you could always make a CS, make it a bit easier to review things should it be relevant to know something about someone.

Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Daril

I guess you're right, it probably wouldn't be a big problem if her friend was a Beta tester.

At any rate, I'd like to get the characters worked out next.

akirakaneda

I could join to this too. Well as we are showing the blue prints of our characters I might say mine could be the traditional, strict, not very friendly at first japanese girl, pretty much like the class represantative type of girl; therefore her combat style is closer to traditional kenjutsu. It might be an acquaintance of Sara if you like.

Lynnette

Quote from: akirakaneda on April 25, 2015, 06:40:47 PM
I could join to this too. Well as we are showing the blue prints of our characters I might say mine could be the traditional, strict, not very friendly at first japanese girl, pretty much like the class represantative type of girl; therefore her combat style is closer to traditional kenjutsu. It might be an acquaintance of Sara if you like.

It feels like everyone are reading my mind today, because I was planning on having my character's style be something similar to traditional kenjutsu as well >_>
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Daril

Okay, I'm still interested in potential players as I find groups often shrink a bit before a game is actually launched.  However for the time being it's getting a little crowded here.  So I'd like to see how thing work out with the current crop of characters before I start adding a lot more.

akirakaneda

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on April 25, 2015, 06:57:12 PM
It feels like everyone are reading my mind today, because I was planning on having my character's style be something similar to traditional kenjutsu as well >_>

Uhmm ... they might be in the university kendo/kenjutsu team or being rivals maybe (actually it might be more interesting with 2 traditional kenjutsu fighters)

Lynnette

Quote from: akirakaneda on April 25, 2015, 07:36:29 PM
Uhmm ... they might be in the university kendo/kenjutsu team or being rivals maybe (actually it might be more interesting with 2 traditional kenjutsu fighters)

I dunno, I don't think I'm interested in doing the same thing as someone else, if you're set on it, I'll likely find something else to use.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread