News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dead game disc...

Started by Delirium, February 16, 2012, 08:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

I recently spilled a bottle of floor cleaner on my copy of Okami for PS2 (Oh for the love of peaches, please stop laughing at me.  No, I am not upgrading to a PS3, and I am too poor to get a Wii ... at least for now, maybe).  I tried rinsing it off, but no matter what I do, the disc won't read. 

I love that game to bits, so I'm a little heartbroken.  Any suggestions to save it, or should I just cough up the $16 to get a new one on Amazon, or if I'm lucky, at the Exchange?

Beguile's Mistress

Try contacting the place where you bought it or the distributor.  If you still have the package and the receipt it would help.  They may replace it for you.  It's worth a shot.

Delirium

Unfortunately, I got the game used, so I'd be impressed if they offered to replace it.  More likely give me a tiny bit of store credit.

Mister Grimm

Oof. That's a bummer. D;
-mourns the loss of an good game-

But it's okay. I'd die if I lost any of my old games. To get them new (or even used) I'd have to pay upwards of $70+. All of which are for consoles older than PS2 lol. I know there are ROMs you can get, but I prefers physically owning games.

My suggestion is that, if you love the game, shelling out the money to replace it is worth it.
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Kuje

Not sure how to fix it but if you're looking for a new copy and can't find one locally. Amazon has it still for 20 bucks new. :)

Brandon

I dont blame you for not getting a PS3 considering most of them arent backwards compatible. I still have a PS2 as well and play several games on it to this day.

Anyway, you could get the CD resurfaced too, unfortunately I cant recommend any big business that does something like that. Its mostly a specialty service but some place like best buy might be able to point you in the right direction.

Before you go that route I would contact the developer and publisher, let them know that you bought the disk but it wont play anymore (they dont need to know it was a used purchase). Some companies like Blizzard will replace the disks for a small fee (I had my diablo disk replaced last year for $10 but only because I had an active CD key). Some companies may do it for free and others might charge you full price. Its worth a shot though
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oniya

What effect did the floor cleaner have on the disk itself?  I know that surface irregularities can sometimes be taken out by buffing (If you have a friend with a Dremel, there are instructions for making a buffer pad here.)  It might work, and cotton batting is cheaper than a new disk if you already have access to the rotary tool.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

I've never had any need to try it myself, but I know GameStop, at least here, will try to fix scratched or broken discs for a relatively small fee.

DudelRok

Quote from: Oniya on February 18, 2012, 12:31:25 PM
What effect did the floor cleaner have on the disk itself?  I know that surface irregularities can sometimes be taken out by buffing (If you have a friend with a Dremel, there are instructions for making a buffer pad here.)  It might work, and cotton batting is cheaper than a new disk if you already have access to the rotary tool.

In a lot of instances, a type of floor cleaner is used as the buffer. Er... the chemical for buffering? O.o What's the word-usage, here?

Quote from: Hemingway on February 18, 2012, 01:45:03 PM
I've never had any need to try it myself, but I know GameStop, at least here, will try to fix scratched or broken discs for a relatively small fee.

It's actually a better deal to find a place online.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Oniya

Quote from: DudelRok on February 19, 2012, 12:41:48 PM
In a lot of instances, a type of floor cleaner is used as the buffer. Er... the chemical for buffering? O.o What's the word-usage, here?

Yes, but what happens if you don't do the actual buffing?  Like, if I pour car-wax on a car and walk away, it's not going to look shiny and new, like if I did the Mr. Myagi thing, right?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Delirium

Well, I tried to make lemons from lemonade and wipe the cleaner so it made just a kind of thin finish on the disc, but when I put it in the Playstation, it freaked out and wouldn't read (no, it's not the console... other games worked just fine).

When I tried to wash it off, it left these odd streaks up and down the reflective side.  Even after some more washing (very carefully), the disc still wouldn't read.

Oniya

It's the streaks on the reflective side that are probably the issue.  The way that the disc reader works is to bounce a laser light off of the metallic foil inside the game disc - it's the foil that contains the data, the plastic part of the disc protects it from damage.  If the light can't get to the foil clearly, then it can't properly interpret the data.

Acid

Supposedly peanut butter/diet soda makes DVD discs work again. There's a couple of tutorials on youtube.

Delirium

Eh... don't believe everything you see on Youtube :/

Oniya

*agrees with Delerium*  I'd be more likely to try the toothpaste method myself, anyways.  At least that's a cleaning supply.  :P  Basically, it works on the principle of using a very, very mild abrasive to polish the disc.

Acid

You shouldn't, but there's many people that have tried that method to revive old discs, with varying degrees of success. If it worked for others, it may work for you.

DudelRok

I'd still suggest sending it to someone who knows what they are doing. It's a better deal if you send a few in, and I'm sure some of your other disks could do with a polish as well. I wish I could offer up some specific suggestions, but I lack personal experience with anything but a single company... and that was some years ago for some Gamecube disks, CDs and DVDs.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread