Hail to the King, baby. (Duke Nukem Forever)

Started by Wolfy, January 23, 2011, 08:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

The game that's been in production for 14 years finally has a release date, and it's May 3rd (Or 6th. :P)

Duke Nukem Forever - Official Reveal Trailer [HD]

One could almost call it a Parody of all macho games...if Duke wasn't the first. lol.

Anyone else even remotely excited about this?

Callie Del Noire

No offense, till I have the damn thing in my hands and ready to play.. it's not being released. I ponied up for the FIRST release of DNF and was never able to get my 30 bucks back from the game store. That was in..oh in 1990-something.

So, till I see it, hold it, play it.. it is the .. PRIMAL VAPORWARE!

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on January 23, 2011, 10:23:43 PM
Bet you wish you kept that receipt, eh?

The store went out with the turn of the century. Not to mention the fact they declined my receit when I came back from the deployment and tried to collect my deposit.

Wolfy

:P Well, the release date is official, and those that bought Borderlands Game of the Year get access to the Demo.

So..we'll see. :P Gearbox is good about delivering, though.

Also, think about it..if this game is a success, we could see a revival of the entire franchise.

Vincent

they lie.. it shall never be released... never!
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
Douglas Adams

Proud Owner of what is His.

Vincent's D&Ds

Ideas.

Sabby

Hey, I'm happy it'll be out, but... how? How can they release it? It could be Game of the Year 3 times over and still not live up to it's monumental reputation. It's crippled itself.

Vincent

Agreed Sabbers, Duke is now more of a legendary idea than an actual game to be made.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
Douglas Adams

Vincent's D&Ds

Ideas.

Sabby

I just watched the trailer. Looks good. Not great, just good. A gore drowned, mostly shit and metal coloured shooter that only includes vehicle sections to keep the standard shooter mechanics from getting old.

Usually, I'd meh at the whole thing, but with games all trying to reach for the stars and promising them to, it's nice to go back to something simple like this. You can only have so much 'modern warfare' before you just wanna blow somethings testicles off with a shotgun and a one liner.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on January 24, 2011, 05:52:46 AM
I just watched the trailer. Looks good. Not great, just good. A gore drowned, mostly shit and metal coloured shooter that only includes vehicle sections to keep the standard shooter mechanics from getting old.

Usually, I'd meh at the whole thing, but with games all trying to reach for the stars and promising them to, it's nice to go back to something simple like this. You can only have so much 'modern warfare' before you just wanna blow somethings testicles off with a shotgun and a one liner.

Exactly, and I think that's what they're banking on. :P

Shjade

I don't understand the big deal about Duke Nukem. Never have. Duke Nukem 3D was a fun-but-average shooter with tits and goofiness. Completely forgettable.

Why does anyone care so much about a sequel to an average game? Not just now when it's been a joke headline for years, but in the first place, when DNF was first supposed to be coming out, that was still my reaction then: "Okay, but who cares?"

Sidenote: I find it funny that a thread on another forum also posted about DNF's posted release date with its subject as "Hail to the King, baby." At least four people responded to the thread upset that it wasn't posting about a new Evil Dead game.

This is why I don't understand the big deal about Duke Nukem games: anything people found funny in them? Yeah, it came from somewhere else.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Vincent

It`s one of those cultural things that need not make sense. It just is.
Douglas Adams

Vincent's D&Ds

Ideas.

Yorubi

Really? Haha I remember my brother actually playing the old game when I was younger. It was funny to me hearing what he said and the whole thing seemed like a guy's ideal game with humor, action, badass-ness, and babes in distress. Its just funny how that game I remember from so long ago is actually coming back up suddenly. While I won't be playing it, its amazing to see they finished a game I could remember my brother talking about so long ago is actually coming out.

Hemingway

I'm not getting this game unless it has legit nudity. If the game, in any way, chickens out, I'm not getting it.

That said, I can enjoy a good action game. There are less entertaining things, than action games and movies that don't try to be anything but action. Just as long as they get it right.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on January 24, 2011, 07:57:36 PM
I'm not getting this game unless it has legit nudity. If the game, in any way, chickens out, I'm not getting it.

That said, I can enjoy a good action game. There are less entertaining things, than action games and movies that don't try to be anything but action. Just as long as they get it right.

Oh don't worry...they are shooting for a Mature rating anyway, and rumor has it, it actually got slapped with an AO rating from the ESRB. Course, that's only a rumor, and it's probably not true.

And Plus...what other game let's you punch an alien straight in the jewels? :D Only Duke, baby.

That said, Multiplayer is going to be blast too...shrinking down your opponent and crushing him with your boot, freezing him and shattering him, strapping a bomb to his back, rolling a pipe-bomb between his legs...etc, etc.

Arandrocles

DN was the first video game I ever played. My dad let me play it when I had behaved particularly well and I must have been too young to understand the nudity because I don't remember it but I know it hooked me for life. Not because I thought it was the best ever but because it was something I enjoyed that I got to do very rarely.

I can't wait to play again.

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on January 25, 2011, 04:06:56 AM
Oh don't worry...they are shooting for a Mature rating anyway, and rumor has it, it actually got slapped with an AO rating from the ESRB. Course, that's only a rumor, and it's probably not true.

And Plus...what other game let's you punch an alien straight in the jewels? :D Only Duke, baby.

That said, Multiplayer is going to be blast too...shrinking down your opponent and crushing him with your boot, freezing him and shattering him, strapping a bomb to his back, rolling a pipe-bomb between his legs...etc, etc.

Games nowadays are so tame. The last game with any sort of balls - literally speaking - was The Lost and Damned DLC for GTA4. Personally, I think that's reason enough to get a game. Just for the shock value. Because it pisses on supposedly conservative values. Which is something I like in a game.

Vincent

Agreed.. violence and gore have become allowed in games, but one hint of sex or nudity... pssh.
Douglas Adams

Vincent's D&Ds

Ideas.

cryptkeeper0

Duke nukem is finally back with all of its over the top humor sexual overtones and sillyness that just makes dukenukem a blast to play along with the fact the weapons are back squeeee

Kunoichi

Quote from: Wolfy on January 24, 2011, 04:18:38 AM
Also, think about it..if this game is a success, we could see a revival of the entire franchise.

Actually, I think someone at Gearbox has gone on record as stating that when they bought the rights to it, it was with the intent of reviving the franchise.

I myself haven't gotten into the series before, but just the fact that this is a game that's taken such a long time to come out is drawing my attention and interest.  Hopefully, that's a good sign for potential sales...

Sabby

Taking a long time does not = a better game, or the potential for more/better parts of the game. It can mean quite the opposite, since taking that long is usually caused by problems in development instead of 'making shitloads of game'

This just reminds me so much of Prey... I think that one took 10 years to make, and it seems to have run the Duke gauntlet. Script was always being rewritten, main character was changing a lot, the graphics engine was constantly being swapped out, the entire project was actually nuked and made from scratch several times.

But it came out and was actually everything it promised. Here's hoping Duke can do the same.

Kunoichi

Oh, I never said anything about game quality.  Like I said, I'm wondering if it means anything good about potential sales.  As in, if it's got my attention and interest because the game is finally coming out after having become infamous as vaporware, does it have anyone else's interest for similar reasons?  Will there be people looking into the game and possibly even buying it, simply because of the reputation it's gained?

That's basically what I was wondering. ^^;

Shjade

If all you're looking for is a game that will let you do excessive crotch damage, you might be interested in Bulletstorm, which apparently keeps score.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Arandrocles

I do think much of it is in the name, the built up legend.

Wolfy

Quote from: Shjade on January 26, 2011, 05:19:13 AM
If all you're looking for is a game that will let you do excessive crotch damage, you might be interested in Bulletstorm, which apparently keeps score.

Actually, my good sir, I'm looking for a game that let's me to Excessive Crotch Damage..to people online! :D Nothing says Teabag like ripping your opponent's away.