News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Need to register a site seeking help

Started by The Overlord, October 16, 2008, 01:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

I am going to have to have a site up and running by next month and had a few questions for anyone that runs one of their own.

Can you recommend any hosted server sites? I have been recommended the following and want critiques on them.

godaddy.com
networksolutions.com
register.com
lunarpages.com
dreamhost.com

I'm doing this on a budget for now, I will be using only a minimum space since I'll be sampling some artwork and providing a little more information. Appreciate any input here.

Vekseid

Never run a site on the same host you have a domain name registered with.

Dreamhost is good for a cheapo site, but realize you get what you pay for.

Dawg

I would go with GoDaddy for the domain registration and take a look at http://www.webmystyle.com/ for hosting, they are reasonable and reliable.

And listen to Vekseid about never hosting with the domain registry
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

The Overlord

Quote from: Dawg on October 16, 2008, 09:43:35 AM
And listen to Vekseid about never hosting with the domain registry

Elaborate please.

Dawg

Quote from: The Overlord on October 16, 2008, 08:29:54 PM
Elaborate please.

A lot of times sites like Godaddy or register.com will offer to host your site when you register the domain.

You should look elsewhere and find a company that normally only does hosting so that if you need to change hosting companies at any point in the future you still retain seperate control over your domain name and they don't hold you hostage to their servers.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

The Overlord

Quote from: Dawg on October 16, 2008, 08:36:52 PM

You should look elsewhere and find a company that normally only does hosting so that if you need to change hosting companies at any point in the future you still retain seperate control over your domain name and they don't hold you hostage to their servers.

Well as much as my dark side would love an all out fight with a hosting company, it would be a hella lot of trouble to go through for something so trivial. Thanks guys for the valuable advice.

The Overlord

I wanted to give this a bump since it hadn't migrated off the front page-

It's been some time since I've taken a web design class, so rusty I must admit being here. I am going to school as an artist, not to design web pages. I will be using Dreamweaver to construct the site; my question is if anyone knows of good sites that offer web page making tips, tutorials, etc.? Right now I need to amass some information and get back into the swing of things.

Also, kudos to anyone that can suggest info that tells how to put up a site on your own rig as a mockup.

Caeli

I would actually suggest going to the bookstore and sitting down and reading a basic guide to HTML and CSS. If you won't be doing anything really complicated, those two things are all you should really need. However, there are HTML-help sites all over the internet (I've given you two I frequently use down below).

Once you get the basics of both down, I would suggest you "design" your site, using pencil / pen and paper. Draw out a few layouts that you want to use. Then, see if you can't roughly guesstimate what kind of html you would use to design it.

I'm not sure if these will be applicable, since I use them more for the coding side of web design (I code from scratch), but they still might be of some help to you. W3Schools is pretty useful as far as code and such goes - I've never used any of the tutorials they have there, though such tutorials do exist. WWW Consortium is also useful.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

HairyHeretic

Finding basic online tutorials is unlikely to be a problem. Besides, most of the html editor programs these days will do the grunt work for you. I suppose it depends on how complex a webpage you're looking.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

I found this one useful - although it's been a while since I've poked at putting up a page.

http://www.webmonkey.com/
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17