Call of Cthulhu interest check

Started by Transgirlenstein, September 05, 2009, 01:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Transgirlenstein

I've had the urge to run a Call of Cthulhu game for some time on this board.  Right now I have three seperate ideas and will listen to more.  I'm more interested to see who would be willing to play in it and which idea interests them more or if there is another story idea they would want to try.

Each of these ideas would be run using the BRP system (basic Call of Cthulhu).  Just let me know which idea interests you the most or if you have your own.

Idea #1: A Delta Green game.  Something is affecting the dreams of people around the United States.  What is causing this strange event?

Idea #2: A 1920s game set in Miskatonic University.  The PCs are either students or workers at the local university.

Idea #3: A modern day game.  The characters are members of a paranormal television show.  The show sends a team to a sea side town.  Strange things are happening there.  Can the crew find out whats going on?  Can they get good ratings?

Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Starchaser

I like idea #3

I would be willing to play in such a game. Imagine a show set up like "Most Haunted" where nobody on the production team is seriously expecting anything real to happen. And then the resident "medium" goes mad...

I'd steer clear of the innsmouth style thing, though. Its been overdone. What about making use of good ol' shub niggurath instead? Plenty of cavorting naked in the wood at night could be had by all.

Transgirlenstein

It isn't what you think.  Have no fear.

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Starchaser

So is this going to be rule based or freeform? If rule based I much prefer the Chaoism system to D20.

Transgirlenstein

QuoteEach of these ideas would be run using the BRP system (basic Call of Cthulhu).

TanaSilver

I'd be interested. Idea #3 sounds intriguing, as long as it isn't meant as a tongue-in-cheek game. My second choice would be #2, because you can't beat a good old fashioned somethings-wrong-at-MU game.

I would agree with Shadow on the #3 idea, about how the show's crew are not really believers. Just filming another episode, and they picked the really wrong house.

Just my 2 cents.
O/O

Cosmo_ac

i admit i like idea #2 the best.  However #3 sounds like it could be fun.  I would hope that #3 wouldn't keep us pent up in a single house though, as it might be fun to explore the town and interview people and such.  Is there any chance we could see a link to the rule system?  I'm unfamiliar with it and wouldn't mind a peek before i commit myself to anything.

Kate

2 and 3 both sound adorable :) I would adore to join

Question Mark

I have no experience in the actual CoC game, but I'd like to join.  Personally, I like #1, but so far, I'm the only one to say so.

*shrug*

Jack Stalker

Option 3 = I'm in!

I've always laughed at those mad presenters standing around in cellars going "OoOOhhh... it's a bit cold now that we've turned out all the lights on the cameras... it must be a ghost!"  XD

Starchaser

I've been thinking of the type of characters I'd like to play in this game and I came up with the following concepts. When you decide on a setting, let me know which character type you like and I'll create a character sheet. I can run multiple characters if you like more than one concept.

#1 Delta Green

Lawrence Hawthorne (British Male, 37)

A computer expert working for MI6 to combat acts of cyber-terrorism. He could be seconded to Delta Green as an information exchange exercise.

Hans Engleson (German Male, 46. Now living in the U.S.)

A psychologist who is writing a thesis on the psychology of dreams, conducting research on the dreams of psychology students.

David Mahoney (American Male, 19)

A psychology student who is taking part in dream-related psychology experiments.

#2 Miskatonic U

Richard Hawthorne (British, Male, 37)

An ex WWI fighter pilot who studied Archaeology at Oxford. He has recently emigrated to America after being asked to become a lecturer of Archaeology at Miskatonic U.

Daniel Walters (American, Male, 21)

A psychology student at Miskatonic U, who is currently writing two term papers. One is on the rise and fall of spiritualism in the mid eighteen hundreds. The other is on the Golden Dawn and the neo-pagan revolution at the turn of the century.

#3 TV Show

Joel Adams (African-American, Male, 26)

A camera man and equipment technician who has been (un)lucky enough to land himself a job as the camera man and equipment expert on the show. A crackpot show like this was not what he was really rooting for, but at least it’s in a prime time slot.

Richard Black (British, Male, 24)

A rather successful Goth / Metal singer / songwriter and self confessed womaniser who's PR Machine thought it would be a good idea for him to make a guest appearance on the show. This is despite the fact that Richard's only real interest in the occult is that he reads a lot of smutty horror novels and the fact that witches (at least his fantasy view of them) turn him on.

Jakub Kaminski (Polish, Male, 46)

Living in the US for a few years now, Jakub is an expert in the field of Parapsychology. He has been hired by the show as the psychologist and paranormal expert. He is NOT to be confused with the show's resident "psychic". Jacob is a scientist, not a fruit loop.

The Clown Prince

I'm game for either #1 or #3. I've been reading over the quickstart :)
O/O           Clown's Thoughts              The Clown has Escaped!
I have sworn the Oath of Drake! :o