News:

Main Menu

What's Your Antipode?

Started by Lilias, April 15, 2014, 09:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

When in a hole... it helps to know where you'll end up if you keep digging!

http://www.freemaptools.com/tunnel-to-other-side-of-the-earth.htm

(I'd end up in New Zealand's Northern Island. MIDDLE EARTH, HERE I COME!!!)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Inkidu

I imagine somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Most of the US would end up in the Indian Ocean.  (Haven't checked Alaska and Hawaii.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

I'm a few hundred miles off the southwest cost of Oz. *glub glub glub*

Oniya

I hear the scuba diving there is choice!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Avis habilis

This is Oz we're talking about. I assume there are megalodons waiting for anyone foolish enough to stick a toe in.

Inkidu

Quote from: Avis habilis on April 15, 2014, 10:06:50 AM
This is Oz we're talking about. I assume there are megalodons waiting for anyone foolish enough to stick a toe in.
Megaldons made of jellyfish, with lasers on their heads, and they woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Nico

Blythe

Quote from: Oniya on April 15, 2014, 09:40:42 AM
Most of the US would end up in the Indian Ocean.  (Haven't checked Alaska and Hawaii.)

*raises hand* Yup, I would end up in the Indian Ocean!

Lilias

If you zoom in enough, you may find out you end up on some cool island, like the Maldives, the Seychelles or Mauritius. I wouldn't complain. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Caeli

I ended up somewhere in the middle of the Indian Ocean. ::)

My non-American relatives have an antipode that is just south of the northwest border between Bolivia and Argentina, though.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oniya

Hawaii gets you into southern Africa.  Alaska ends up just off the coast of Antarctica.

gaggedLouise

Somewhere in the "furious fifties", well south-east of New Zealand. *shivers* I read about that swathe of sea in Shackleton's account of his journey down to Antarctica in 1907; it gets very rough and cool real soon after one has left NZ.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

And apparently only Argentinians, Chileans, and Falkland Islanders can actually dig to China.

gaggedLouise

I guess the technical complications of walking/driving down a tunnel running straight through the core of the earth are about as big as those of actually digging said tunnel...  :D

Your body would be heavily deformed (or even broken into pieces) just by the gravity and huge pressure - for starters.

Caeli

Quote from: gaggedLouise on April 16, 2014, 04:28:58 PM
I guess the technical complications of walking/driving down a tunnel running straight through the core of the earth are about as big as those of actually digging said tunnel...  :D

Your body would be heavily deformed (or even broken into pieces) just by the gravity and huge pressure - for starters.

It still makes for a fun thought exercise, if you remove the fatal factors and (some) laws of physics.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Caeli on April 16, 2014, 04:50:13 PM
It still makes for a fun thought exercise, if you remove the fatal factors and (some) laws of physics.

*nods* Not to mention, there's far, far more high-value metals down there than we can ever dig out of any ordinary mines up here. Gold, iron, copper, likely uranium and silver too...it's the real Goldfinger location!  ;)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: gaggedLouise on April 16, 2014, 03:02:15 AM
Somewhere in the "furious fifties", well south-east of New Zealand. *shivers* I read about that swathe of sea in Shackleton's account of his journey down to Antarctica in 1907; it gets very rough and cool real soon after one has left NZ.
Same here. That would make for a looong swim to reach dry land.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Moraline

I'd end up in the ocean, half way between Albany, Australia and the coast of Antarctica.

Callie Del Noire

WAY off the coast of West Australia in the IO.. (Ironically I've actually swam out there near that spot before.. a carrier deployment)

TaintedAndDelish

There's a chance that I would be somewhere in the vicinity of flight MH370  :(

BeeJay

I live in Georgia, US, and mine is in the Indian Ocean, south east of mainland Australia.
O/O

persephone325

So, I could end up in either the Indian Ocean... OR (keeping the same latitude) somewhere outside of Gansu, China. lol
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Aleph

Quote from: Inkidu on April 15, 2014, 11:14:31 AM
Megaldons made of jellyfish, with lasers on their heads, and they woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
Nah mate, the sharks ate them all. Those would be the sharks made of jellyfish, with la-OK you get the idea.

Meanwhile, I end up smack in the middle of the North Atlantic, Portugal to my right, middle US coast on my left (presuming that I'm facing north)

The Green One

Quote from: Lilias on April 15, 2014, 09:30:23 AM
When in a hole... it helps to know where you'll end up if you keep digging!

http://www.freemaptools.com/tunnel-to-other-side-of-the-earth.htm

(I'd end up in New Zealand's Northern Island. MIDDLE EARTH, HERE I COME!!!)
Me too!  ;D

Not available for new stories