News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

American Accents (take the quiz!)

Started by Greenthorn, November 16, 2008, 10:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: Mellonlegolas on November 16, 2008, 10:44:02 AM
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

That's funny, I grew up in Missouri and went to college in Southern Indiana :D

Same here; except I'm from ******* Cali.

Please do not use profanity in PG-13 areas. -Bliss
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

I've actually noticed I have a 'chameleon' accent. One time, my husband and I went up to visit friends in Kitchener, ON around Octoberfest, and I was actually asked 'Are you sure you're American?'  Without intending to, I'd assimilated the Canadian vowel sounds.  It's never exact - it's more like 'that town not too far away'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Moondazed

******* Cali?  You must from the coast :P

Please do not use profanity in PG-13 areas. -Bliss
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Bliss

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

Bravo, little internet quiz, you have caught me!

*highfives Trieste*
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

This is a load of crap! *boycotts*

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Dawg

That's why I boycotted this one a while ago and didn't even post.  Got Inland North, which would be accurate, went back and for snickers put the opposite of every single answer and even though the graph showed almost full Boston, it gave me inland north again.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Paradox

Well it seems very accurate for some other members; it's just that I know my accent isn't "inland north". Hell, Ket and I live about twenty miles apart, yet this thing says our accents are geographically separated by damned near a thousand miles.

I'm not boycotting the quiz; just protesting my results.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Ket

Quote from: Paradox on November 19, 2008, 02:36:01 PM
Well it seems very accurate for some other members; it's just that I know my accent isn't "inland north". Hell, Ket and I live about twenty miles apart, yet this thing says our accents are geographically separated by damned near a thousand miles.

I'm still surprised it didn't have an option for a southern accent.  I mean, I know here in Virginia we aren't as twangy as those father south, but I do know people notice a slight twang, considering I'm constantly asked about it. 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Paradox

Same here about being asked about it; however, one of the results did say "Southern". Apparently we just didn't qualify.

Josietta

Quote from: Kiara on November 16, 2008, 02:57:47 PM
And this is me:

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I got the same. 

And yes Ket I know what you mean. I had a lady at Walmart ask me last night.. Where are you from? Turns out she was from Oklahoma and knew I was some sort of southern.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Lilias

QuoteYour Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

We say 'pop' in the UK too ::)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Eleanor

Quote from: Lilias on November 19, 2008, 05:13:32 PM
We say 'pop' in the UK too ::)

or fizzy drink!
Ons and Offs                                             Where there hell am I?UPDATED!
Plotness

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Eleanor

Ons and Offs                                             Where there hell am I?UPDATED!
Plotness

WyldRanger

----

Yup, I'm from the great (but poor and bleak) state of Michigan, so I'd say it's accurate enough.

Doomsday

That's odd, I live in Ohio :)

ShrowdedPoet

Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Heh, kind of funny, I'm born and raised in the South.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs