Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Started by Wolfy, November 29, 2011, 11:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

I love this comp Keefie, I'm running all games on high or better... Game booster also makes a huge difference with games as well... I don't need it but I use it as well.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Keefie

Well the one I'm getting should be similar. (It had better be for the amount of money I'm spending.)
I've pretty much decided to go ahead and get it since my father waved some PC-World Vouchers in my face that got me £50 off the same monitor my bf has. So I just gotta gather the money together and wait for my bf's brother to sort things out.
Unfortunately it means i'll have to get another copy of the game to install it on the new comp, wish there was a way around that but meh. In the grand scheme of things £40 isn't much, already saved that much and more yesterday. Hehe.

Pumpkin Seeds

I am still in so much love with my new comp.  Though the Solid State Drive is kind of losing its luster.

ShamshielDF

Errrr...I hope you don't mean that you are going to buy another copy.  I mean...you can download installer from the website once you log in.  When you buy the game you're really paying for the account, not the installation.
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Keefie

Quote from: ShamshielDF on February 28, 2012, 08:22:45 AM
Errrr...I hope you don't mean that you are going to buy another copy.  I mean...you can download installer from the website once you log in.  When you buy the game you're really paying for the account, not the installation.

I knew it sounded stupid having to buy another copy!
Thanks for saving my neck there. I'm not the most technical minded of peeps when it comes to computing. I'm an electrician not an I.T. guy. Heh. I do very much appreciate you telling me that, makes life a lot easier and eases the pain in my wallet slightly.

On that note, Pumpkin, I'm delighted to inform you that I have no idea what a solid state drive is. But I'd love to find out.
(There's a reason why my future brother in law is doing all this for me xP)

Chris Brady

All an SSD is, is a hard drive that has no moving parts.  A basic HDD (Hard Disk Drive) has discs, on top of each other and a little needle that hovers over them to read your information.  An SSD (Solid State Drive) uses microchips instead.  It's a bit more stable, meaning you can drop it on the floor and it won't break as easily.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Pumpkin Seeds

Also supposed to go alot faster.  Which it does do that, but I can see a distinct slow down as I put more stuff on it...so need to learn to care for it better I guess. 

Keefie

Ahhh, good good.
At least I've learnt something today. Two things actually. Thanks a lot guys.
I've sorted everything out for the computer so it's been ordered. Probably gonna be a while till it gets here though.
How's everyone doing vis-a-vie their adventures on TOR then? I'm having a blast I can say that much. Spent most of today messing about and helping out some random lower level guys. :D

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 28, 2012, 01:34:38 PM
Also supposed to go alot faster.  Which it does do that, but I can see a distinct slow down as I put more stuff on it...so need to learn to care for it better I guess. 

That does happen due to when you load something it does have an order process in which it has to shift through everything on the drive.  Though unlike HDD, it doesn't have to rev up to read the data on the drive, the SSD just in a sense bullets through all the files it has stored... Best thing to do is only put what you absolutely need to load up faster and keep everything on your HDD.

ShamshielDF

Of course, the critical down side to SSD vs HDD is cost.  Standard HDD is somewhere in the $.10-20/GB range.  SSD is closer to $2.00/GB.  That's the part that clinches it for me.  If you can afford even a modest SSD drive to install Star Wars on it will save you a lot of loading time.

For installing the game:  go to SWTOR.COM and click on Login (I don't know if the sites the same in Europe, but on the US site it's top right).  Once you've logged in normally click on "My Account" (again, top right).  This should take you to the Account Management page.  On the right hand side is a column with various links.  Click on Games (Download) and this should take you to a page with a link to download the game client, matching the version you purchased.  If you have CDs you can just install from those directly and then run the updates.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Keefie

Quote from: ShamshielDF on February 28, 2012, 09:11:40 PM
Of course, the critical down side to SSD vs HDD is cost.  Standard HDD is somewhere in the $.10-20/GB range.  SSD is closer to $2.00/GB.  That's the part that clinches it for me.  If you can afford even a modest SSD drive to install Star Wars on it will save you a lot of loading time.

For installing the game:  go to SWTOR.COM and click on Login (I don't know if the sites the same in Europe, but on the US site it's top right).  Once you've logged in normally click on "My Account" (again, top right).  This should take you to the Account Management page.  On the right hand side is a column with various links.  Click on Games (Download) and this should take you to a page with a link to download the game client, matching the version you purchased.  If you have CDs you can just install from those directly and then run the updates.

I'll make note of that. Thanks again. I guess my main worry was that it'd expect the product key which has obviously already been used but if it recognises that said product key is attatched to my account then i'm home free. I can't wait. Unlimited access to the game not just 2 hours if i'm lucky.

ShamshielDF

It never asks for the key during installation ^_^  The key is attached to your login.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Keefie

Sweeeet.
Well that's good. Very good. I just dunno what to do with myself until the comp arrives. With luck I'll be able to find a decent Star Wars roleplay with which to pass the time.
Waiting for stuff is the worst. -3-

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Keefie on February 29, 2012, 01:54:19 PM
Sweeeet.
Well that's good. Very good. I just dunno what to do with myself until the comp arrives. With luck I'll be able to find a decent Star Wars roleplay with which to pass the time.
Waiting for stuff is the worst. -3-

steam has both kotor and kotor 2, now if you are looking on elli for a game.. I'm not sure.

Keefie

Hrm. I might check that out, thanks~ x3
I've been browsing a few places but nothing has caught my eye as of yet. No worries though I'm sure I'll find something eventually.

Chris Brady

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on March 01, 2012, 03:17:38 PM
steam has both kotor and kotor 2, now if you are looking on elli for a game.. I'm not sure.
They finally have KoTOR 2???  Awesome.  Something else to add to the list.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Keefie

Well apparently my computer is coming today.
That didn't seem like much of a long wait really~
Unfortunately when I unpacked the monitor I got for it, it had a European  plug. I was like what the actual hell?
Luckily I have several old PC's in this house so I nicked an old lead and am ready to go.
Hello TOR, goodbye life xD

Funguy81

Hey, is there an E rp guild in the kath hound RP server? I'm curious about that. I have a 32 vanguard on it.

Chris Brady

I think most of us are Imps on Lord Adrass.

Geeklet

Yeah, most of the people who were on Kath Hound kinda migrated over to Lord Adraas it seems.

Funguy81

well that sucks for me. I was hoping to join an E group, but hey i'll find another rp group. thanks for th eheads up.

Chris Brady

Happens.  I'm still on WoW, and the only reason I'm there is because I have friends, not because I enjoy it.  And lately it's gotten to the point of I don't know if I want to continue to subbing. However, TOR isn't the gaming God people wish it was.  It's holding my attention for now...

One of these years someone will clue in that MMORPGs are not a viable gaming format.  A classic RPG is often a High Fantasy Epic story, you see it in Movies, Books and now T.V. Shows.  One thing that's common to all of these sorts of stories is that there's a beginning and an end.  When the heroes defeat the big bad.  It's a linear progression, point A to B.  And the sad part is that most Fantasy (including Star Wars) still work on that cycle.  The leveling system doesn't help either, because it's got an 'ending'.  But until then, they'll churn them out and sucker me into them.

SinXAzgard21

TOR was getting boring right before I had a week with out my computer... Came back and now it isn't as boring anymore.... I'm playing wow right now just for the beta invite, D3 and for my wife.  As it stands I'm sticking with TOR to check out legacy and to see if pvp gets off this randoms WZ shit and if the ccing gets fixed for certain classes. 

CaptainErotica

Anyone still active in this? I wouldn't mind making a character or two to pal around with my e friends.

What server/faction?

Pumpkin Seeds

Lord Abraas (sp?)..most of us are Empire side.  Though I think some have made Republic characters.