Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Started by Wolfy, November 29, 2011, 11:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Who's getting it at release?

We need to form an Elliquiy Guild, damn it. o3o

Brandon

I dont know about release due to me needing an entirely new PC to run it. My current one, well Ive upgraded the hell out of it over the years but its just that time where Im running out of room in the case. I literally cant fit some of the new beastly graphics cards because they're just to big (physically big). That coupled with money being tight after my trip to Antarctica it may be awhile before Im actually in the game.

I will be playing it and I will most likely be playing Sith (a Sith juggernaught to be specific).
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wajin

Well, since I'm in Europe I wouldn't be able to do join. But yeah, I am gonna play it, played the beta, fell in love with my twi'lek sith marauder.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

HairyHeretic

Servers won't be location tied. Anyone can play anywhere they choose.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hemingway

Hairy - are you sure? If so, that would be pretty awesome, seeing as I'm European as well and most the people I know on the internets are not.

I have some people I'm planning on playing with, but ... well, you gotta have more than one character, right?

I'm planning on making a Smuggler for my first character, because ... I like vests. Scoundrel 4 lyfe.

I'm still a bit puzzled, though. Could someone who has actually played it explain the race/faction/class system, maybe? I want to play a ... oh, dammit, what are they called again ... a Miraluka. Because Visas Marr is probably the hottest character from Star Wars, ever. With the possible exception of Starkiller's pilot chick. But that's neither here nor there. The point is, I'm not sure what my options are playing as that race.

Sel Nar

Quote from: Hemingway on December 01, 2011, 10:02:38 AM
I'm still a bit puzzled, though. Could someone who has actually played it explain the race/faction/class system, maybe? I want to play a ... oh, dammit, what are they called again ... a Miraluka. Because Visas Marr is probably the hottest character from Star Wars, ever. With the possible exception of Starkiller's pilot chick. But that's neither here nor there. The point is, I'm not sure what my options are playing as that race.

Miraluka are extinct. Marr was the last one because Darth Nihlus turned her homeworld into a charred cinder, and KOTR2 is considered canon.

Jacqueline

I agree! Visas and also Bastila Shan are the prettiest ladies of the two games. As for that pilot chick, I think that you mean Juno Eclipse, she's very pretty too!

About the game, I'm not sure if I will buy it, I'm tending towards the no, besides it's not as if I have much time to play. I wrote them a post of 664 words worth of constructive feedback of the things that I didn't like, and then I included it on the survey too. I will cross my fingers!

As a side note, it is unforgivable the way they dealt with the protagonist of the second game as well as with the cute little robot, very poor taste.

ofDelusions

Quote from: Sel Nar on December 01, 2011, 10:13:01 AM
Miraluka are extinct. Marr was the last one because Darth Nihlus turned her homeworld into a charred cinder, and KOTR2 is considered canon.

Dunno which is cannon, but in TOR you can play Miraluka. Apparently it was only Miraluka Colony that Nihilus destroyed.

Hemingway

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/inhabitants/miraluka

;D

Avis habilis

...and KOTR2 is considered canon.

I thought everything in the games was canon? Lucasfilms keeps a tight rein on anything that appears in Star Wars branded material & they've got at least one full-time guy who does nothing but ensure continuity.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Wolfy on November 29, 2011, 11:24:32 PM
Who's getting it at release?

We need to form an Elliquiy Guild, damn it. o3o
Rule no. 1 of all MMO releases.  NEVER get it day one. There's often too little content to actually make the first 6 months worth the investment of $135.  You go in when they've released a couple of content packages.

So I MIGHT check it out, but not day one.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Chris Brady

Quote from: Avis habilis on December 01, 2011, 10:45:19 AM
I thought everything in the games was canon? Lucasfilms keeps a tight rein on anything that appears in Star Wars branded material & they've got at least one full-time guy who does nothing but ensure continuity.
No they don't.  In fact everything is canon, unless it contradicts the movies.  That's the only stipulation.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Avis habilis

SinXAzgard21

I'm planning on getting it but in January after I build my new gaming comp, which I'm glad is only costing me 1.2k.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

HairyHeretic

Hairy - are you sure? If so, that would be pretty awesome, seeing as I'm European as well and most the people I know on the internets are not.

Pretty certain it says that in the FAQs somewhere.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 01, 2011, 11:35:20 AM
Rule no. 1 of all MMO releases.  NEVER get it day one. There's often too little content to actually make the first 6 months worth the investment of $135.  You go in when they've released a couple of content packages.

So I MIGHT check it out, but not day one.

Depends what content you want. You do realise each class has their own storyline, right?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wajin

Miraluka are not extinct, Katarr wasn't their homeworld Alpheridies was. Katarr was a colony, with a enormous population
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

meikle

Quote from: A Japanese Dane on December 01, 2011, 01:32:54 PM
Miraluka are not extinct, Katarr wasn't their homeworld Alpheridies was. Katarr was a colony, with a enormous population

Also, they live in a space age.  With spaceships.

It seems incredibly unlikely that even if their home world was exploded that only one of their entire species was off-world during the event.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

RubySlippers

Sure if it goes F2P, I'm game. Even WoW is F2P for twenty levels that would be enough for me to play.

Wajin

Miraluka can play the two force sensitive light sides.  Jedi consular, and knight.

fancyfictions

After playing in the last 2 beta weekends, I can say that I love the game and can't wait to play it at launch! I think the developers have really done something cool with this one.

For those interested, there was a topic started in the Non-Forum Roleplay Requests section looking for players who might want to start an rp group for the game. Here is a link to the topic: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=125601.0.
Fancy's Fancies|

“Fiction is life with the dull bits left out”- Clive James

Brandon

I have some people I'm planning on playing with, but ... well, you gotta have more than one character, right?

I'm planning on making a Smuggler for my first character, because ... I like vests. Scoundrel 4 lyfe.

Alright well there are two factions, the Republic and the Sith empire who have an uneasy peace right now after a bloody war (which will also escalate into a bloodier war). I dont want to go into individual class stories because, well spoilers is all but Ill go over the mechanical choices

Republic

The Republic have four classes. The Jedi Knight, the Jedi consular, the republic trooper, and the smuggler. At level 10 each of these classes branches off into two more specialized classes. For example a Trooper has the option of becoming a Vangaurd or commando the differences being the former is more tank based with damage capabilities while the latter is more support based with healing powers and damage capabilities. Each class has 3 specializations allowing further specialization in your style of play. I wont be going into advanced classes to much purely because I dont know to much about them. Everything I know is from the info Ive managed to piece together from videos made over the last beta weekend

I will list the available races for each class below

Jedi Knight: Human, Miralukan, Twilek, Zabrak, Mirialan
Jedi Consular: Human, Mirialan, Twi'lek, Zabrak, and Miraluka
Republic Trooper: Human, Zabrak, Cyborg, and Mirialan
Smuggler: Human, Twi'lek, Cyborg, Zabrak, and Mirialan

So what do these classes do? Quite a bit. The Jedi Knight is a front line fighter who tends to focus in damage and tanking. The Jedi consular takes the opposite approach as a "spellcaster". They heal and use the force to hurt enemies like ripping giant objects out of the ground and hurling them at their enemies. The trooper is basicly a stormtrooper with a big gun who lays down all sorts of firepower to kill enemies and support their allies. Theyre a lot cooler then I make them sound. They work off an ammo cell mechanic where special attacks cost ammo cells and cells will recharge over time (or when you rest). Finally the smuggler can do a lot of things, they can heal and do damage and a lot of their powers revolve around a cover system. One (or both?) of the advanced classes has stealth capabilities and crowd control like sleep darts. I dont know much about them beyond that

Sith empire

The four classes for the sith empire are the Sith warrior, Sith inquisitor, Bounty hunter, and Imperial agent. They basicly work as mirrors from the republic classes with thematic differences. In this setting the empire has returned from beyond the Rim to conquer the galaxy and they built a military where everyone was drafted into service. Anyone that was even remotely force sensitive was thrust into the role of a sith warrior/inquisitor, while non force sensitives became soldiers in the military.

The races for the sith classes follow. I should note when I say sith as a race I mean the red skinned race native to Korriban

Sith warrior: Human, Sith, Cyborg, and Zabrak
Sith Inquisitor: Human, Sith, Twi'lek, Zabrak, and Rattataki
Bounty hunter: Human, Cyborg, Zabrak, Rattataki, and Chiss
Imperial agent: Human, Cyborg, Chis, Rattataki, and Zabrak

As I said the same advanced class system is in place and I lack the experience and knowledge to discuss them outside of their intended roles

If you want to take a look at character creation this video is a good source but also keep in mind that everything I know is from beta and is not neccessarily representative of the finished product

► The Old Republic - Character Creation [Spoiler-free]
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

ofDelusions

Still unsure if I'll get this game. Seems fun enough, but 200 € a year is a lot of money for me.

If I'll play I'll most likely play Light side Sith marauder and either Lightside bounty hunter or light side imperial agent.

Sel Nar

Hemingway

Ahh, watching this video ( although it's marked as spoiler free ) makes me think of the steps I'll have to take in-game. In WoW, at the release of The Burning Crusade, when I still almost cared about the story, I had to leave all the chat channels and such. I suspect I'll have to do things like that here as well, because ... after all, online gamers have no regard for anyone else, and I'm sure everyone is like "HOW DO YOU DESTROY THE DEATH STAR AFTER LUKE DIES". That was an example. I know this is the Old Republic. I didn't spoil anything. D: