What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

Quote from: lunawuff on May 16, 2012, 09:02:19 AM
I enjoyed Amalur for all of about two hours. And I spent about a month on the gamefaqs message board hyping it up to the point of frustration, then I played it, the combat was alright but then it got really boring pretty quickly.

It's for games like that one that I love having a demo. It was enough to convince me I wouldn't want KoA at anything near its asking price; if it ever hits a -75% Steam sale I'll think about it, but that's about it. ;p
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: Shjade on May 16, 2012, 02:51:14 PM
It's for games like that one that I love having a demo. It was enough to convince me I wouldn't want KoA at anything near its asking price; if it ever hits a -75% Steam sale I'll think about it, but that's about it. ;p

See, for me, it was just the opposite. The demo only lets you play for an hour (or something, I forget exactly how long), and it was just long enough to where the combat was still interesting. What they don't tell you, is that there isn't really anything else beyond what you can do in the demo, and not long after the point to where you can play in the demo, at least for me the combat already started to feel pretty stale.

Inkidu

Quote from: lunawuff on May 16, 2012, 07:04:27 PM
See, for me, it was just the opposite. The demo only lets you play for an hour (or something, I forget exactly how long), and it was just long enough to where the combat was still interesting. What they don't tell you, is that there isn't really anything else beyond what you can do in the demo, and not long after the point to where you can play in the demo, at least for me the combat already started to feel pretty stale.
From what I've heard, read, and seen on Amalur it's a slightly less boring Diablo.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

It's like someone wanted to make a World of Warcraft killer, base it in Dungeons and Dragons universe for name value, and then got sued out the ass mid development and had to go ahead and change all the names. Then, during the development hell, half the team wanted to change the project to a single player game, and focus more on an action game. So they watched a 12 hour seminar by Peter Molyneaux, and learned absolutely nothing practical about game design.

Shjade

Quote from: lunawuff on May 16, 2012, 07:04:27 PM

It actually does, if you investigate everything. You can see little tutorial videos of all the abilities and skills in the talent tree, which is enough to take a pretty good guess at which ones will be useful, which ones won't, and, more importantly, to get a pretty good sense of just how shallow the combat options are despite how dynamic the game claims its combat system is.

That and I just absolutely hated the UI, the quest interfaces, and how factions worked.
◕/◕'s

Samael

I think I'm probably one of the few who actually enjoyed Amalur.
I agree that the quests are pretty damn horrible, and considering it was written by Mister Drow, the races were unbelievably bland and boring, but... and here's the but, it really appeals to the Diablo Loot Whore to me, and I really enjoy the fighting, and how you can mix and match styles at your leisure. I was playing a thief/sorcerer, and it was immensely fun. I also think I nearly completed each quest, but yes, the last two zones are where you just tend to start to get bored. I rushed through em myself.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Sabby

...there's over 750 hours of content. How the fuck did you manage 'almost complete' xD Seriously, I'm impressed.

Samael

750 hours?
That's a bit of an exaggeration. Plus, if you pick up a few quests, you can mostly do them together in one swoop, so it cuts down the time needed dramatically. Your running speed in the game is rather fast to boot, so you get pretty quickly from one place to the other.
The gameplay is fun, the world beautiful, but the story and characters trite and bland, outside of a few characters.

Sabby

I'm just going by the test they did after development was done while they waited for the release. The team apparently tried to finish 100% of the content, and they clocked their playthroughs in at 750 hours.

Samael

They must have done one quest at a time or something, because no way did I come close to 750 hours.
Ever.
Although I skipped nearly everything in the last two zones, so, maybe there is more content than I thought.

RubySlippers

I can say, unless it goes virtually free to get the game in the future I will not be playing Diablo 3.

Teo Torriatte

I won't be playing D3 with my current laptop as it is a 3 year old dino. But it is my hope that by the time I can get a new one, possibly by the end of the year, the issued will at least be fixed. I really hate the idea of a game you have to log online to play single player, though. That just sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Sel Nar

Quote from: lunawuff on May 18, 2012, 07:59:56 AM
I won't be playing D3 with my current laptop as it is a 3 year old dino. But it is my hope that by the time I can get a new one, possibly by the end of the year, the issued will at least be fixed. I really hate the idea of a game you have to log online to play single player, though. That just sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

It IS a nightmare waiting to happen, and Ubisoft was solidly raked over the coals of public opinion for several years because they pulled the same shit for their PC games; there's a reason the Console versions of Assassin's Creed 2 Sold at a ratio of some stupid number like 5 or 6 to one compared to the PC version.

Also, here's a fun 'feature' for you. Because Diablo 3 uses the Battle.net authentication server when you log in, when D3 crashed that server, it also crashed every other game that requires Authentication through Battle.net. No World of Warcraft, no Starcraft 2, and no Diablo 3 because Blizzard was too cheap, too lazy, or too stupid to spring for an extra few servers to handle the load.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sel Nar on May 18, 2012, 08:43:39 AM
It IS a nightmare waiting to happen, and Ubisoft was solidly raked over the coals of public opinion for several years because they pulled the same shit for their PC games; there's a reason the Console versions of Assassin's Creed 2 Sold at a ratio of some stupid number like 5 or 6 to one compared to the PC version.

Also, here's a fun 'feature' for you. Because Diablo 3 uses the Battle.net authentication server when you log in, when D3 crashed that server, it also crashed every other game that requires Authentication through Battle.net. No World of Warcraft, no Starcraft 2, and no Diablo 3 because Blizzard was too cheap, too lazy, or too stupid to spring for an extra few servers to handle the load.
Here's the sickening part. Because it's Blizzard (not even Blizzard North, the good studio that did D1 and D2) people are still going to buy it, they're still going to play it, no matter how bad the DRM is (or in some cases how bad the gameplay has gotten, not my opinion, but enough them). Thus it will help reinforce this crappy model. I tell you if this happens I doubt I'll ever play on a PC again, it'll be console or bust, at least the console has a chance of holding it off for a while.

Blizzard's going to come out of this smelling like a rose and it just horrifies me.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 09:14:51 AM
Blizzard's going to come out of this smelling like a rose and it just horrifies me.

Maybe, maybe not. I haven't seen much good press for them about D3 since its release.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on May 18, 2012, 09:28:02 AM
Maybe, maybe not. I haven't seen much good press for them about D3 since its release.
I think it would honestly do them some good. I think they've been riding high on the success of WoW too long. I don't want to see gaming turned into a turn-key operation, which is exactly what Blizzard aims to do.

Do you know that several people have reported less loot per drop in D3, and the best theory is that it creates a need for the real-money auction house? I get advertising it guys, but the need should not be created through (possible at least) artificial means.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, I'm taking that with a gigantic grain of salt unless the some people can produce hard numbers with a reliable sample size. Otherwise, it just sounds like the self-justifying 'proof' that people invent to justify their dislike of something instead of relying on the abundance of actual and legitimate reasons to dislike that something.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 18, 2012, 10:43:56 AM
Yeah, I'm taking that with a gigantic grain of salt unless the some people can produce hard numbers with a reliable sample size. Otherwise, it just sounds like the self-justifying 'proof' that people invent to justify their dislike of something instead of relying on the abundance of actual and legitimate reasons to dislike that something.
You realize by the time the actual numbers do come out D3 will have recovered as a success, be mediocre, or a bust, right?

Chris Brady

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 18, 2012, 10:43:56 AM

Welcome to the Internet.  Been here long?  ;D

Personally, I LOVE Kingdoms of Amalaur.  I think it's awesome and fun.  Bout damn time we have a hundred hour + rp game where the combat doesn't feel dull.  I'm gonna get the DLC for it cuz I want more!

D3 is fun, when it works.  The sad fact is that Guildwars took their best coders and server people when they left to create ArenaNet.  But it IS fun.

What I won't play?  The Game of Thrones game that came out, where the most fun are the dialogue scenes...   And I really wanted to play it too.  Damn Cyanide Studios.  Ther really are poison to gaming...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 02:50:17 PM
You realize by the time the actual numbers do come out D3 will have recovered as a success, be mediocre, or a bust, right?

Talk about covering all your bases, eh?  ;)  Or is there a fourth option?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on May 18, 2012, 03:16:37 PM
Talk about covering all your bases, eh?  ;)  Or is there a fourth option?
You know never to speak of the fourth option, Oniya... never... >_<

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 02:50:17 PM

Yeah, but D3's success or lack thereof has nothing to do with the validity of this supposed nefarious plotting by Blizzard. Normally I'm all for conspiracy theories that ascribe malicious motives to giant faceless gaming companies, but this is waggling my BS meter too strongly to accept without evidence.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 04:20:57 PM
You know never to speak of the fourth option, Oniya... never... >_<

We'll wake up and find out that D3 never happened?  Kinda like that one season of Dallas?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 18, 2012, 05:12:17 PM
Yeah, but D3's success or lack thereof has nothing to do with the validity of this supposed nefarious plotting by Blizzard. Normally I'm all for conspiracy theories that ascribe malicious motives to giant faceless gaming companies, but this is waggling my BS meter too strongly to accept without evidence.
I don't claim conspiracy. I claim good old-fashioned rich-power-trip syndrome. I mean, of course people are going to put up with online single player, errors, and all that jazz because Blizzard is rich and they tell you to. ^_^

And they're probably going to make more money doing it.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 06:56:49 PM
I don't claim conspiracy. I claim good old-fashioned rich-power-trip syndrome. I mean, of course people are going to put up with online single player, errors, and all that jazz because Blizzard is rich and they tell you to. ^_^

And they're probably going to make more money doing it.

I'm going to put up with it because I don't care. I have a good, reliable internet connection, so online single player and offline single player are identical for my purposes, and Blizzard has never failed to deliver me a game I enjoyed. Blizzard may have run over your puppy or something, but I'll still take their products over studio-killing EA and the travesty that Bioware has turned into.