Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Madame's Tie makes doesn't make sense for evidence to me, since the most obvious evidence clue we received was written. I still think her Menu is the most likely evidence of hers.

On the other hand, I'd never really thought about how weird Vera's 'Switch' was, and I can understand why folks would include it because it's just so vague as evidence.

RedPhoenix

Menu is the perfect mix of Cafeteria and Written. But if that was the clue, persephone would be crazy to not pick Dining, is the way I see it.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

yugi006

Which is why Vera's Folding Chair and Numbers became the number one suspect for me after Assembly was given as a clue.

Blythe

I could see her not picking it since she'd already picked Cafeteria earlier, though--Cafeteria and Dining are very similar, although I can see how they'd certainly be applied differently.

That being said, after looking through your list, Red, I'd agree with a lot of what you've written there--personally, I'd rule out Assassini, BAMF, and James Moriarty as our murderer. I also think Derwaysh is exceedingly unlikely.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: yugi006 on January 26, 2016, 04:35:17 PM
Which is why Vera's Folding Chair and Numbers became the number one suspect for me after Assembly was given as a clue.

Agreed on Folding Chair as an excellent fit. But I have a hard time seeing Numbers as a choice when Classroom was available at that point.

yugi006

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 26, 2016, 04:41:28 PM
Agreed on Folding Chair as an excellent fit. But I have a hard time seeing Numbers as a choice when Classroom was available at that point.

Numbers is pretty vague so it could apply to a cafeteria too since there are a lot of things with numbers on it.

Madame Professor

Quote from: yugi006 on January 26, 2016, 04:35:17 PM

I still lean more towards her Banknote than the Numbers, personally.

Quote from: Blythe on January 26, 2016, 04:36:42 PM
That being said, after looking through your list, Red, I'd agree with a lot of what you've written there--personally, I'd rule out Assassini, BAMF, and James Moriarty as our murderer. I also think Derwaysh is exceedingly unlikely.

And I agree here, Blythe has already ruled JM out as a suspect in my opinion and Assassini and BAMF seem very unlikely to me.

That said, Blythe's Hammer/ID Card combo has potential...
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

yugi006

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 26, 2016, 04:48:24 PM
I still lean more towards her Banknote than the Numbers, personally.

I would have said that if dining was chosen instead.

Blythe

For those who think I'm the murderer...go ahead. Make those guesses. But I'm not the murderer. Madame tossed out the JM suggestion earlier, and I guessed it. Now she's suggesting I'm guilty. Personally, I'm still incredibly suspicious of Madame (granted that might be my standard 'game paranoia!' I get during investigative games, which I do really hope isn't annoying anyone ;_; ).

The only thing I can say in my defense is that the two items people are most suspicious of for me for murder methods--the Hammer and the Machete, are not ideal weapons considering the clues. Machete fits far better under Loss of Blood than Severe Injury, and Hammer...well, I feel if Persephone were trying to implicate me, she wouldn't have picked Cafeteria as a clue, but rather Dormitory, Elevator, or Toilet--things you associate as more likely to need tools. I honestly have no defense for ID Card and Cafeteria and can only hope I am believed.

RedPhoenix

I'm not really going to believe anything anyone says in their own defense tbh.

If you want to try to convince me someone is a better target, please feel free.

persephone325

Victim's Expression - Peaceful, Struggling, Frightened, In Pain, Blank, Angry

The FS has chosen Blank.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

RedPhoenix

Remiel

Very interesting.  To me, "Blank" screams out "Cassette Tape", except that I have already eliminated Strangefate as a suspect.  Hrm.  Perhaps the the Blender / Cassette Tape?  No, because then Assembly wouldn't make sense.

Hrmm...

Blythe

Blank, like they did not see it coming? That makes me think more of the manner of death than it does of evidence. I'm thinking it's a manner of death that would have been a surprise.

Verasaille's Push looks likely, or the Folding Chair. Madame's Bamboo Tip might also fit here--something unexpected that could cause severe injury. I had thought to rule out BAMF, but with Cafeteria and Severe Injury coupled with this, Wine (like a bottle smacked behind someone's head) might be viable.

Some of the bloodier methods of death seem less likely now. *headscratch* I dunno. This is not an easy clue at all.

RedPhoenix

Yeah I'm thinking it means like bonked on the head with something blunt.

Remiel

I'm tempted to make a Venn diagram of all the clues, except that it would be the most complicated Venn diagram in the history of mankind.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Remiel on January 26, 2016, 07:58:37 PM
I'm tempted to make a Venn diagram of all the clues, except that it would be the most complicated Venn diagram in the history of mankind.

So you're lazy is what you're saying! :P

Remiel

If by "lazy" you mean "not completely barking insane" then yes, I am.

RedPhoenix

I ... don't think I know the difference. :(

Blythe

Okay, my thoughts! (I borrowed a bit of formatting from the OP!). Trying to look at the clues in chronological order was mucking me up so I decided to try to look at them in a different order in a step-by-step process.

Clue #1: Cause of Death - Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident
Clue #2: Location of Crime - Playground, Classroom, Dormitory, Cafeteria, Elevator, Toilet
Clue #3: Evidence Left Behind - Natural, Artistic, Written, Synthetic, Personal, Unrelated
Clue #4: Noticed By Bystander - Sudden Sound, Prolongued Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing
Clue #5: In Progress - Entertainment, Relaxation, Assembly, Trading, Visit, Dining
Clue #6: Victim's Expression - Peaceful, Struggling, Frightened, In Pain, Blank, Angry

Step 1: Address Clue #1. Eliminate all Poisoning, Suffocation, and Illness/Disease deaths. This eliminates: Powder Drug, Pillow, Poisonous Gas, Scarf, Plastic Bag, Illegal Drug, Liquid Drug, Mercury, Drown, Alcohol, Wire, Wine, Radiation, Towel, Venemous Snake, Chemicals, Poisonous Needle, Arsenic. Also eliminating Locked Room for not fitting any cause of death that isn't 'Accident.'

Step 2: Address Clue #3. Let's look at Evidence Left Behind first. I think looking at this first, then at 'Cafeteria' will be a bit more clear. Let's eliminate ALL evidence that doesn't overtly/strongly reference writing. This eliminates: Pocket Watch, Surveillance Camera, Hourglass, Test Tube, Iron, Maze, Cassette Tape, Seasoning, Skull, Push Pin, Soft Drink, Jacket, Snacks, Dice, Spring, Internet Cable, Table Lamp, Coffee, Tie, Badge, Video Camera, Leather Shoe, Switch, Bullet, Timber, Cat, Lens, Mirror, Steamed Buns, Dentures, Safety Pin, Wig

Step 3: Address Clue #4. I think that persephone had the perfect chance to implicate someone if it had been Sudden Sound or Prolonged, so....let's eliminate obvious associations. Eliminating: Electric Current (makes me think of a "BZZZZT" sudden noise), Sniper Rifle (muffled or single sudden shot), Chainsaw (prolonged or sudden sound, these are VERY loud), Whip (sudden crack of a whip, so sudden noise), Bite and Tear (prolonged sound seems more likely than 'action' here to me), Blender (prolonged sound), Machine (sudden or prolonged sound), Cleaver (sudden 'smack!' sound),

At this juncture, several people are eliminated as suspects because they have had either all methods or evidence eliminated: Strangefate, Remiel, Assassini, James Moriarty, Derwaysh
Remaining suspects: Blythe, RedPhoenix, Verasaille, BAMF, yugi006, Madame Professor

Step 4: Let's deal with the elephant in the room. Let's eliminate methods of death that are obviously Loss of Blood. This eliminates: Metal Wire (which would have been Loss of Blood or Suffocation), Machete (slash slash, anyone?), Drill, Boxcutter, Razor Blade, Surgery (makes me think of blood), Ice Skates (practically a razor blade).

Step 5: Let's deal with Clue #5, In Progress, now. We got 'Assembly.' Let's eliminate things that look like entertainment or relaxation from evidence. This eliminates: Playing Cards and Confidential Letter (a confidential letter would not be present at an Assembly but dealt with in private), and Dictionary (wouldn't have that on you during an Assembly). It also eliminates Comics.

Step 6: Let's deal with the #6 expression clue now. "Blank." So we're looking at a severe injury that came as a surprise or at least isn't particularly gory or bloody. More 'gruesome' or overtly 'violent' deaths should be eliminated here, I think. This eliminates Kerosense (there would surely be more than a blank expression for this death). Sulfuric Acid (for the same reasons a Kerosene), Hammer, Wrench

At this juncture, several people are eliminated as suspects because they have had either all methods or evidence eliminated: BAMF, Blythe, RedPHoenix

Remaining suspects: Verasaille, yugi006, Madame Professor

Step 7: Okay....NOW let's deal with Cafeteria. No particular manner of death stands out as being really 'cafeteria' oriented, but we can eliminate a bit more deaths and evidence: Sculpture (not as likely to be in a cafeteria), Trophy (not as likely to be in a cafeteria), Certificate (more likely to be a personal item), Numbers (very vague, doesn't stand out enough).  Yugi006 is eliminated as a suspect.

Final conclusion: 2 Remaining suspects - Verasaille and Madame Professor.

Verasaille with either Push or Folding Chair as methods and with a Bank Note as evidence

- or -

Madame Professor with Bamboo Tip and Menu.

Giant Crossed Out List for Reference

Player: Yugi006
Means of Murder Cards: Powder Drug, Metal Wire, Pillow, Sculpture

Key Evidence Cards: Pocket Watch, Surveillance Camera, Exam Paper, Hourglass

Player: Strangefate
Means of Murder Cards: Poisonous Gas, Scarf, Electric Current, Plastic Bag

Key Evidence Cards: Test Tube, Iron, Maze, Cassette Tape

Player: Remiel
Means of Murder Cards: Sniper, Illegal Drug, Drill, Liquid Drug

Key Evidence Cards: Seasoning, Skull, Push Pin, Soft Drink

Player: Assassini
Means of Murder Cards: Mercury, Drown, Chainsaw, Boxcutter

Key Evidence Cards: Jacket, Snacks, Dice, Spring

Player: Blythe
Means of Murder Cards: Alcohol, Kerosene, Machete, Hammer

Key Evidence Cards: ID Card, Certificate, Internet Cable, Table Lamp

Player:Madame Professor
Means of Murder Cards: Wire, Razor Blade, Whip, Bamboo Tip

Key Evidence Cards: Coffee, Menu, Playing Cards, Tie

Player: BAMF
Means of Murder Cards: Wrench, Surgery, Bite and Tear, Wine

Key Evidence Cards: Badge, Comics, Video Camera, Leather Shoe

Player: Verasaille
Means of Murder Cards: Trophy, Push, Folding Chair, Radiation

Key Evidence Cards: Numbers, Dictionary, Banknote, Switch

Player: James Moriarty
Means of Murder Cards: Blender, Towel, Venemous Snake, Chemicals

Key Evidence Cards: Note, Bullet, Timber, Cat

Player: Derwaysh
Means of Murder Cards: Poisonous Needle, Machine, Cleaver, Unarmed

Key Evidence Cards: Lens, Mirror, Steamed Buns, Dentures

Player: Red Phoenix

Means of Murder Cards: Ice Skates, Locked Room, Sulfuric Acid, Arsenic

Key Evidence Cards: Safety Pin, Wig, Confidential Letter, Map

(Sorry for the rambling post, wrote this late at night!)

yugi006

I'm still thinking Numbers over Banknotes as Assembly was chosen instead of Dining and now I'm leaning towards Push instead of Folding chair as you wouldn't find a folding chair in either a Assembly or Cafeteria. Push also goes with Action too.

Making my guess:

Verasaille with Push as means of murder and Numbers as evidence left behind.

Blythe

My old cafeteria both in college and high school had folding chairs--usually if there was an assembly they had to break out extra chairs.

That being said, I suppose I can understand the logic of Numbers over Bank Note (since my justification for eliminating Numbers was vague at best), which leaves us with:

Vera: Push or Folding Chair - Numbers or Bank Note
Madame: Bamboo Tip - Menu

Also should be noted that the following folks used their guesses (hyperlinked with where the guess was):
* Blythe
* Derwaysh

I did not see where anyone else has used their guesses--someone correct me if I missed them (again, is late at night, may have missed them). ^^

It'd be nice if we could narrow this down more, but I don't think I can.

persephone325

Quote from: yugi006 on January 28, 2016, 02:22:33 AM
I'm still thinking Numbers over Banknotes as Assembly was chosen instead of Dining and now I'm leaning towards Push instead of Folding chair as you wouldn't find a folding chair in either a Assembly or Cafeteria. Push also goes with Action too.

Making my guess:

Verasaille with Push as means of murder and Numbers as evidence left behind.

You are incorrect!
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Blythe

Darn. I can see why you tried that combo, though. *nod*

May as well update used guesses list:
* Blythe
* Derwaysh
* Yugi006

Verasaille

First of all, any weapon that causes severe injury could be a blunt or heavy object. I think you are eliminating too many.

Secondly, if we assume it is a cafeteria in a place that holds Assembly, that shouts 'school' to me. Has anyone been in a grade school or even a High School Cafeteria? There are plenty of reasons to have trophy's, sculptures, display cases are always in school cafeterias!

As far as written, haven't you ever watched TV where the students pass notes? Or tried to finish homework in class or complained about a bad grade on an exam paper?

Has anyone ever fought with a folding chair to get it to unfold? How is that anything remotely quiet? Honestly any thing that can be used as a makeshift weapon would do. But surely something easy to pick up and use!

Action can be almost anything from a sudden blow to a subtle whisper in an ear to shock someone. Expression: Blank? Also screams shock to me. Something subtle.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.