Mattel has changed the rules ~ Scrabble 'to level the playing field'

Started by Beguile's Mistress, April 06, 2010, 10:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Well the purists have a point. It does make things majorly easy. I mean.. how many names are utter crap?

Will

QuoteMattel will even allow words to be spelt backwards – and unconnected to any other words.

What the hell?  Allowing proper nouns is irritating, but this...  this isn't even Scrabble anymore.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Schrödinger

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 06, 2010, 10:58:52 AM
Well the purists have a point. It does make things majorly easy. I mean.. how many names are utter crap?

Nevermind that some of the names people have are ludicrous in their spelling. Ludicrous enough to warrant two C's and a Q. Can you imagine what that does on a triple-word-value square?  :-(

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]
[li]Plot ideas![/li][/list]

Silver

What happened to awesome words such as 'Zebu' for example, which when used correctly on the board can score you major points.. *sighs*
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Silver on April 06, 2010, 11:03:45 AM
What happened to awesome words such as 'Zebu' for example, which when used correctly on the board can score you major points.. *sighs*

It was replaced with anything you can find on E! Online. :D

Silver

O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Callie Del Noire

Oniya

So I can play Krzyzewski on a triple word score!

(Kidding, of course, but I'd made a comment like that during last night's game.)

In reality, this is no different from allowing proper names/nouns into crossword puzzles.  Devoted puzzlers will eschew it, and probably have house rules that forbid it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Will

It's not just the proper nouns rule that's changing, though.  I agree about the house rules of course; I know that if I was playing, I certainly wouldn't allow floating words.

- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

I wouldn't allow backwards words either - unless all words had to be backwards (because that would be EEEEvil! >:))
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Will

Quote from: Oniya on April 06, 2010, 11:44:18 AM
I wouldn't allow backwards words either - unless all words had to be backwards (because that would be EEEEvil! >:))

...That actually sounds like a lot of fun. :D

- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on April 06, 2010, 11:44:18 AM

That could be a very fun game.. shots for each 'forward' word you make by mistake

Beguile's Mistress

Oniya

>_>  *has played strip chess before*

There would have to be special consideration for reversible words.  It wouldn't be fair to penalize someone for 'desserts' when they were playing 'stressed'.

Will

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 06, 2010, 11:46:20 AM
That could be a very fun game.. shots for each 'forward' word you make by mistake

I was actually thinking a shot every time you misspelled a word on the board, which is likely to happen pretty often.  Especially as shots start to mount up. XD

- Jack Kerouac

Jag

A game of palindromes would be fun, but probably very hard.

Level, madam, radar, sagas...
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Zorak

Help us.... help us please... the article itself is a showcase of stupidity!

QuoteMattel will even allow words to be spelt backwards – and unconnected to any other words.

Excuse me...  "spelt"?  What kind of a word is "spelt" ?   Is it perhaps "SPELLED" which they were looking for?  This is bad enough, but if coupled with the use of the word "any" which is grammatically incorrect ("unconnected to other words" would be correct here).  Don't get me started on the use of the dash which is also not needed.

And the last paragraph gives us the truly nasty dig...

Quote'Obviously some people will want to continue playing the old rules so we will still be selling a board with the original rules.'

"Obviously"?  I'm sorry, perhaps I'm missing something but are we now not capable of "option one" and "option two" in the rulebook?  This is like telling us that we should buy a new board if we want to play checkers when all we have is a chessboard !

So let's all give in and play to the lowest common denominator.  I mean, right proper edjimikated peoples is hard to find these days.

BAH!

Tachi

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Zorak

Red Dwarf is awesome !    Wonder how it would fare as a RP....  {shivers}  scary thought that...

Will

- Jack Kerouac

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Zorak

Quote from: Will on April 06, 2010, 03:34:21 PM
Spelt is an alternative, irregular form of the past tense. It is acceptable, although much less common.

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/101-wrong-wrongly-spelled-spelt.html

I stand corrected - it's listed in TWL06.