New Computer...and already I hate it.

Started by Lady Lunarius, January 10, 2015, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Lunarius

Ok got a new computer today and already its acting up. It's a Windows 8, and have had it for about 2 ish hours. All I've downloaded was Google Chrome, mumble and YIM. It's acting so clunky and sluggish and ads are popping up all over. Suspicious "protection" icons are popping up and some are even "running scans". I have never had this problem with Windows 7 and I'm seriously close to crying because I can't do a damn thing without pop ups covering my screen, and I really want my security essentials back....

Windows Defender isn't doing anything for me at all. Even Elliquiy is getting pop ups now.

Just Help somehow. Please?

(I should also mention its an Asus ......Not sure if that makes a difference.)
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

Inkidu

Did you install any anti-virus software first thing? That's always the first thing that goes onto my computer before I even connect to the internet. I'm paranoid about that though.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lady Lunarius

Quote from: Inkidu on January 10, 2015, 05:50:54 PM
Did you install any anti-virus software first thing? That's always the first thing that goes onto my computer before I even connect to the internet. I'm paranoid about that though.

I don't even know what to install on Windows 8....I'm used to 7 or XP....I looked to do my usual and they don't make it for Windows 8
LaLu's Delicious treats!

Psi

You cannot download and install Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 8, as its been integrated directly into the OS as a default that gets turned off when you install third party antivirus applications - and they fell back to using the name Windows Defender rather than keeping it matching across the platforms.

My first thought - Chrome is a clean installer - other than other Google Applications that you can avoid.    Yahoo however might have bundled things, and I am not sure about mumble - although as Vek's put the guide up here unless something has changed at the developers end that should be safe.

Do the pop ups only occur when you open up Internet Explorer or Chrome, or do they start occuring from when you start the computer up?

Lady Lunarius

Quote from: Psi on January 10, 2015, 06:36:09 PM
You cannot download and install Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 8, as its been integrated directly into the OS as a default that gets turned off when you install third party antivirus applications - and they fell back to using the name Windows Defender rather than keeping it matching across the platforms.

My first thought - Chrome is a clean installer - other than other Google Applications that you can avoid.    Yahoo however might have bundled things, and I am not sure about mumble - although as Vek's put the guide up here unless something has changed at the developers end that should be safe.

Do the pop ups only occur when you open up Internet Explorer or Chrome, or do they start occuring from when you start the computer up?

So far its happening randomly. I don't even have to be at the computer in order for them to pop up. Chrome closed, and about 6 pop ups were on my screen. All of them about 'protecting" my computer. So far all of them have started "scanning" my computer and "finding" problems.
LaLu's Delicious treats!

Black Howling

And once I got home, and managed to get the brother to take a look over her computer (After I found what was most likely culprit), I think we have the issue with Luna's computer solved. :D

Psi

Quote from: Lady Lunarius on January 10, 2015, 06:39:55 PM
So far its happening randomly. I don't even have to be at the computer in order for them to pop up. Chrome closed, and about 6 pop ups were on my screen. All of them about 'protecting" my computer. So far all of them have started "scanning" my computer and "finding" problems.

If the following post didn't list this as "solved" I would suggest using Malware Bytes Anti Malware (MBAM) to track down the issue.
Good to see its solved