Group Seeking Game Master for Eclipse Phase Game

Started by PaleEnchantress, January 15, 2013, 01:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleEnchantress

Guess what? We have a full group wanting to play Eclipse Phase and no one that can GM it. Well cry me a fucking river, right? Well maybe you could be the one to do this for us! We have some hot girl(y looking fellows) and a tentacle monster for sure!

Whats Eclipse Phase? It is a d100 based transhuman post apocalyptic sci-fi RPG. All the books are available free. http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/  The core rulebook is, of course, the most important. Now I don't necessarily recommend someone completely new to this trying to manage a Gming the game, but it is possible I'm sure. Especially if you have shadowrun experience or something that would ease you into it.  I know one of the best exalted games I'm in is with a first time GM who has minimal experience with the setting. One of the coolest parts of the setting is the mind being treated like a software program that can be downloaded into whatever body it needs to be in.

Are you still with me? We don't have a solid list of what we want other then to just experience some of the fun and drama of the Eclipse Phase setting. We all agree firewall is fairly lucrative. Also no one has raised any objections to a GMPC if thats what it takes to raise your interest. Questions? Comments? Direct them here in the thread. I'll invite some of the other players to post.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Transhuman is such an undefinable term...

For the unfamiliar but intrigued, I'll expand it to say that this is a crazily open-ended posthuman-style game. If you've ever read Schismatrix, it's a great introduction to the setting's approach to humanity, clades, modification and all.

• Genetically-engineered biological or synthetic bodies for all sorts of applications...From combat to seduction to newscasting. You want to go out for a night on the town? There's a body for that. Need to board a derelict space station that might be crawling with deadly exovirused self-morphing machinery? There's a body for that. Exploring an exoplanet through an alien-built stargate that you might not be able to get back through? There's a body for that. Want to get the most amazing tan in the solar system? There's a body for that, too. In this game, meat (or metal!) is just one more item of equipment to the well-adjusted posthuman.
  • Expect the guy at McDonald's to have fairly high hacking skill, a lot of silicon in his head, and a decent firewall.
  • Earth is a postwar quarantine zone after all of the really scary high-end military AIs achieved Singularity...And not in a happy pretty 'and now we all evolve' way but in a 'Hey, you little meat creatures have a LOT of data in your heads. Give me those!' way.
  • Lots of what used to be the populous areas of the solar system (not to mention military installations, secret corporate labs, and possible alien listening posts) were infected by AI/alien virii/nanitics/memetic weapons (hooray for basilisk hacks!) and provide all sorts of opportunities for entrepreneurial scavengers to get rich or die horribly...Or both, possibly with the added 'benefit' of provoking a species-wide extinction threat.

• The solar system is chock-full of space habitats of all sorts...Many of them abandoned/quarantine/off the books due to the recent Singularity/near-human-extinction battle. They tend to be insular, to such an extent that practically every inhabited station has its own 'culture'/social structures ranging from extreme totalitarianism to semi-cooperative anarchy.
  • Combat nanite projectors, implant weapons, vibroblades, EMP systems and holdout pistols that are fully networked into people's personal autonomous networks and fire smart ammunition. You know, the usual equipment...Dialed up to eleven.
  • Almost everybody has a computer in their head with a minor AI that advises them, runs errands for them, helps run tactical software and ballistics calculations during combat, and mentally hugs them when they're freaking out (happens a lot...You think WE have issues with OUR recent technological advances? Imagine waking up in a new body, being told you've been restored from a two-week-old backup, and 'We're not sure what happened to your original but it looks like a grey goo event.').
  • And because things aren't chaotic enough already, a tiny percentage of posthumanity have been infected by an exovirus that makes them psionic...And very, very mentally unstable.
  • Nanitic 'drugs' that tap straight into the pleasure centers of your brain and take you through pre-programmed hallucinations. Assuming that your dealer wasn't BSing you and they aren't actually rewiring your mind...You did remember to back up your ego recently, right?
  • If that's not wild enough for you, how about massive scavenged-together habitat-ships-turned-floating-orgies started by collectives of artists, ecstatics, genetic engineers, hackers, drug-designers, and botanical (r)evolutionaries where competing to think of something new and bizarre to do (in every sense of the word) is everybody's pet project.
  • Uplifted critters. Birds. Dolphins. Monkeys. OCTOPI.

(Just another typical day trying to keep the monkeys out of the banana plantation on hydroponics level four.)

And if that's still too boring, you're welcome to mix-and-match -- put your mentally-unstable, psionic, AI-assisted, combat-hacking octopus into a synthetic body. There are drawbacks to that, of course...But hey, everything has its price.

What's not to love?

Grab your lubricant of choice, double-check your firewall, verify that your backups have backups, and make sure you have your favorite biological or synthetic attachments on-line and ready! This could get fucking strange! And we do mean that literally...

Giving 'bush-robots' a new meaning since the early 23rd century...

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Empyrean

ebpohmr

I have had a hankering to run Eclipse Phase since I read through a few of the rulebooks last year... I'd need to review them and think about it, but what kind of focus would the group prefer? Social climbing, political manouvering, combat, exploration, criminal. Even working for Firewall most of those are possible focuses for the team... Heck, even a smaller-scale mass effect style riding around in a space ship going wherever in the system Firewall needs your team as you uncover some kind of evil AI plot, etc. Also, what level of kink (e.g. which forum board) was the group ideally looking for?

Meliai

Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh ♥ Man I've wanted to try Eclipse Phase for ages. Please post a link when the game gets going, I'd love to read it!
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Meliai on January 17, 2013, 04:49:20 AM
Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh ♥ Man I've wanted to try Eclipse Phase for ages. Please post a link when the game gets going, I'd love to read it!

I can't speak for the Game Master or the current pre-arranged group, but it seems it wouldn't hurt any to ASK if it can be enlarged by another player or two!

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Re Z L

I can go for just about any kind of game.  I'll make a character to fit whatever the premise of the game is going to be   ;D
A&A

PaleEnchantress

AH I forgot to add but I'm almost certain, just looking at the setting and the character concepts, that it will be an extreme game.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

There was some discussion of Gatecrashing, or Firewall work (which I assume to be espionage), or going deep black and having a group of Singularity Seekers, out to go beyond the pale.

I haven't settled on a character yet, since it would be somewhat scenario dependent.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ReijiTabibito

I just bought Sunward/Rimward/Panopticon/Gatecrashing for Christmas (I bought the corebook at a con half a year ago).  Is there a possibility of another player being added to the group?

Empyrean

I'd be willing to give GMing a go though I've never played it before. The setting looks fascinating. But I may be away for a couple of weeks due to uncontrollable internet issues.

ebpohmr

This game should be going live at some point over the coming weekend and definitely before this time next week.

Anybody else wanting in, now is the time to make yourselves known!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Resurrection

...due to longterm loss of GM's internet access before the actual campaign even started.

The group had been shaping up into a team working under the Firewall pragmatist clique (See the sidebar on p.359 of the main rulebook) which included some fairly creepy Singularity Seeker types, but that's probably negotiable...as at this point odds are good that we'd rather have a GM running some kind of an EP campaign than no GM for a specific and particular EP campaign.

It's a pretty morphically and background/origin-diverse team at this point which wouldn't do well in a too-rigid hypercorp zone, but Venus (Parvati) would probably work, as would some of the cis-Terran laGrange point Scum habitats or anywhere from the Belt on outward...Anyplace that supports morphic freedom and isn't going to arrest people for not being bipedal humaniforms.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

kylie

Is there room for another player in this at the moment?  I'll give it a closer look, if so. 

Not familiar so just for playing, not GMing (to be clear).

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: kylie on March 21, 2013, 10:50:07 AM
     Is there room for another player in this at the moment?  I'll give it a closer look, if so. 

Not familiar so just for playing, not GMing (to be clear).

There probably is, but finding a GM is very difficult so far.