A serious request for my family

Started by The Overlord, October 04, 2008, 06:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

I've had an eventful and tumultuous past few weeks, and I need to look to the web from some solutions.

Since late August, I've had two aunts diagnosed with cancer.

One has breast cancer and will be undergoing both mastectomy and treatment.

The other was diagnosed with a class 3 malignant tumor high on the left side of the brain behind the ear. It is an aggressively growing thing that will require an aggressive treatment; she soon starts both radiation and chemotherapy, and it will be a heavy five-day a week, 6 week program to curb this f-ing thing. She had a grand mal seizure at work on the day it was discovered, with no previous history of such; surgery soon after removed most but not the entire tumor.

If anyone can suggest some internet games, logic puzzles and the like, I'd be much appreciated. As she is going to be between home and the hospital and certainly not working, she does have internet access, and we're looking to keep the mind active here as this process unfolds.

Greenthorn

Pogo has tons of games...realarcade has 1 hour demos..as does bigfishgames.

*hugs*

Lilias

Zylom.com has tons, and even its demos are bigger than on other sites.

And if IE is the only browser choice, there's always the MSN Gaming Zone.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

The Overlord

Thank you so much for the quick repsonses on this, I am going to see what else comes up by this evening, and hopefully there will be a nice little list of URL's I can send her.

Vekseid

Oniya

And if they like that one, here's the 'next level': HyperSudoku

(I think the four gray boxes have to be 1-9 as well)

http://www.iht.com/bin/sudoku.php

Edit to add: http://www.lenagames.com/  A bunch of games for download, most have a free 'demo' version with limited levels but unlimited use.  The BigJig comes with a bunch of puzzles, and has a free jigsaw for download every week, for example, but if you get the pay version you can download the whole lot of additional jigsaws.  I play with an insane number of pieces (1000+), so the freebies will keep me occupied for a week easily.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Greenthorn

Quote from: Oniya on October 04, 2008, 11:50:38 AM
And if they like that one, here's the 'next level': HyperSudoku

(I think the four gray boxes have to be 1-9 as well)

http://www.iht.com/bin/sudoku.php

Edit to add: http://www.lenagames.com/  A bunch of games for download, most have a free 'demo' version with limited levels but unlimited use.  The BigJig comes with a bunch of puzzles, and has a free jigsaw for download every week, for example, but if you get the pay version you can download the whole lot of additional jigsaws.  I play with an insane number of pieces (1000+), so the freebies will keep me occupied for a week easily.

I own BigJig...have for years.  It's great and only I think 20 bucks to buy it.

The Overlord

Thank you again for all repsonses, this information has been forwarded to the concerned parties.

Mathim

I was going to suggest getting them a PSP or Nintendo DS. They can even watch movies on the PSP, not just games.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

The Overlord

A good suggestion, I have to bring this up at first opportunity.

Caeli

Also, the DS has a lot of interactive games, ones that especially use the stylus. One I can name off the top of my head is Big Brain Academy, and I know if you go to the DS game directory you can search for games that are played interactively, i.e. with the stylus and touch screen [link].
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Mathim

Well, it has a lot of roleplaying games, which in my opinion are the best because they take (or are supposed to take) a long time to finish, so that's ideal for long-drawn-out periods of time. The PSP, I think, has fewer RPG style games, but not many fewer. Although I haven't been paying too much attention, the ratio might have become more even lately.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Spookie Monster

If you're still searching for games, The Overlord, please allow me to suggest DKM Software, which is filled with great games classic and modern.

Much strength to your aunts, to your family, and to you yourself.

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Inkidu

Look up Totem Destroyer on Newgrounds. It's a neat physics puzzler.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.