Doomtown Reloaded (Still Recruiting)

Started by Ciosa, April 04, 2014, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sindra

Doomtown Reloaded now has all of it's threads opened for people to post in!  We may be adding more in time but, for now, everything is up and running!

Sindra

The often requested FAQ is up on the wiki.  It's still a work in progress as both the old OOC thread and the new one have a good deal of information in them!

ManofDawnLight

I'm not familiar with the Deadlands system, and I would need much help in creating a character.  Before I do, I was wanting to play a stone-cold, soulless, humorless bounty hunter who chills the air as he walks by.  However, I don't want it to conflict with your pvp rules.  This okay?
Short stories for now.  Light posts.

I am returning slowly.

Ciosa

Well, all the rules for the system are up on the wiki.

However, before you submit a concept I would look over the Who's Who, as it has all of our currently approved characters.  One of them, Spooky, is very similar to the one you have in mind.  We'd still love to have you aboard, but we like to avoid having too much character overlap.

ManofDawnLight

I read the Spooky character.  I see the similarities, but what I had in mind was not an honorable outlaw.  Spooky seems to want to shoot people down at noon.  My character would have no issue of jumping out of the closet and shooting a man down as he's washing in the tub...even if there's someone else with the man in the tub.  Not that my character would be evil.  He just has no sense of honor.
Short stories for now.  Light posts.

I am returning slowly.

Ciosa

Black Howling

Expressing interest after figuring out the system mechanics. Once I confirm my time constraints, I'll be posting up a sheet.

Blame Greytrail. >_>

Sindra

If you need any assistance with the mechanics, we can either assist or even make the character sheet.  If we make the character sheet, you still have final approval!

And yay for your interest, Howling!  My leg is super thrilled  ;D

Good job, Greytrail!  *Gives doggy pets behind the ears*

Ciosa

... close enough to a month.  *bump*

Also, we're streamlining the wiki quite a bit to make it more accessible and for player use. 

Sindra

I have heard from multiple people that Doomtown has a lot to read and feels a bit overwhelming to get started in the game.  Below, I have added a cheat sheet for those that are interested in the game and need a little guidance!

Cheat Sheet

Getting Started

Getting Started

Starting out in Doomtown is much easier than it looks!  While there is a good deal of information, much of it can be looked over while creating a character. 

Game Rules and FAQ
Game Rules
FAQ

Both of these would be helpful to glance over.  Most of the rules for the game pretty much match the Oath of Drake as well as the rules of E.

Game World Information
Doomtown History
-The information provided here will all the player to understand the world of Deadlands a bit better.  While it is a Wild West game, there are major changes to our real world timeline.

Great Maze
-This information is a bit more optional to read before starting the game.  It has information about the Great Maze and the life people face living there.

Character Creation

Creating Your Character

Before making a character, I would recommend taking a look through the Who's Who thread.  This is the thread in which all the players put up publicly known information about their character.  It allows for all new players to the game to see what is already in play!

All the format information for the characters can be found on the first page of the Recruitment thread. 

Character Creation Mechanics
Gear

Ciosa and I offer to do the mechanics for the character creations process or assist with it for those that would like the help.  If we do make the character sheet – the final approval will be through you!  You're certainly not stuck with what we come up with!  We also allow some changes to characters even after the sheet is 'finalized'. 

**Please note that the character concept is the more important portion to complete to get started in the game.  Once a character concept is approved, the player can post in the Who's Who and get started in the sandbox portions of Doomtown!  Please do not feel the need to wait until the character mechanics are complete.

Once the character concept is approved, you'll be asked to post your character in the Who's Who thread.  After that has happened, you're ready to start playing!

Playing in Doomtown

Posting and Interactions

Many players have some concerns about getting their character started in Doomtown.  It's really much easier than it looks!  There are several ways to get your character started in the game and will really depend on what you're comfortable with.

Ciosa and I will, of course, help players get themselves into the game.  Whether that's playing NPC's to help, contacting other players or even pointing the player to a sandbox group scene (these tend to be smaller events that everyone is welcome to participate in). 

If you want to independently get started, there are a few places you can look. 

Character Availability
-This is a link to a wiki page that is meant to help players and characters get involved in more interactions.  Every character that has a 'Seeking' under the name is looking for more roleplaying opportunities!  Some of the players have even posted some further information to make clear what kinds of interactions or stories they would like to have.

All players are encouraged to update this as they see fit!

Doomtown Classifieds
-This link will take you to a thread that players can post requests for interactions.  This will also be the location where GM arcs will be posted when they are available.

History
-We offer players an open history thread.  This allows for people to play out scenes that happened before game start.  It also helps newer players create a history with a character that they would like to be familiar with in the ongoing story.  Another use of it has been for players to tell their characters back story so everyone can read it. 

If you are interested in creating a backstory with an active character, please feel free to PM the player and discuss with them! 

Other Information

Other Information of Note

The Wiki
-The wiki itself has tons of information that can be read at the players leisure and referenced for information at any time.  Ciosa and I make changes to the wiki regularly as the game moves forward.

In Game Timeline
-At any given time, there is a two week period that the characters can play in.  This link notes certain things that happened by date.  Any player is welcome to edit and add to it as they see fit.  It can help keep the characters activity straight. 

At the end of the two week time (when time moves forward in game), the larger events will be added to the Doomtown News and Rumors.

Gomorra Gazette (News and Rumors)
-This is the thread in which Ciosa posts the major events.  This will be updated as the game continues along but can be really helpful in giving players an idea as to what has been taking place in Gomorra.

consortium11

We now have a snazzy (and far, far, far too large) map of Gomorra, the boom-town where most of the action takes place:

The full version is huge (and I do mean huge) but does come with labels saying where everything is.

The more the merrier... I know it can look intimidating to join a group game with this much background info and so many posts already but it's a lot simpler than it looks, Ciosa and Sindra are both wonderful and wonderfully helpful GM's and we'd love to have some more people roll into town.

:-)

SanguinePuppet

Double checking to see if new characters are being recruited :).

Ciosa

Absolutely!  Send a PM to Sindra and myself.

consortium11

Timidity

I'm quite interested, however I hardly have any experience when it comes to systems so I'm not really sure if I'll be a good fit for this. For now, I'll look over the wiki and think it over a bit. It sounds like an amazing idea, even if I don't end up joining in, I hope it goes well. :3
To those I'm writing with, read the A&As for a brief heads up.
POSTING UPDATE: 11/15/16- Ha ha. I only thought it was almost over. Gosh I lied to myself.  e_e I'm working on post slowly as I can, but my time varies and probably will until after Thanksgiving break. Then things may be more settled,  so expect delays until then. I sincerely apologize for this, and if you'd like to put a hold on a story or stop it all together just let me know. Otherwise, I deeply appreciate your patience. n_n
Le Musings

Sindra

If you're interested, Timidity, you are more that welcome to join us.  This link may shed some light on the system and character sheet. 

consortium11

Quote from: Timidity on July 16, 2014, 10:28:15 PM
I'm quite interested, however I hardly have any experience when it comes to systems so I'm not really sure if I'll be a good fit for this. For now, I'll look over the wiki and think it over a bit. It sounds like an amazing idea, even if I don't end up joining in, I hope it goes well. :3

There was actually a bit of discussion when it came to the semi-system nature of Doomtown and why it works so well on this thread if you're interested.

I have little to no experience of system games... I played a little (with an emphasis on little) bit of D&D about a decade ago and since then pretty much nothing; I've had no issues with Doomtown. It's described as a "system-lite" game but once you create a character and get the sheet filled in (and both Ciosa and Sindra are awesome GM's who are happy to help out with that) it basically plays like a freeform... but a freeform where you've really had to focus and refine your character. There will occasionally be situations where stats get called directly into play... but so far it's been very occasionally (once that I'm aware of) and when it has happened it's merely been directing freeform posts rather than dictating them.

Countdown

Quote from: consortium11 on July 16, 2014, 10:01:23 PM
A trailer for the game to hopefully get people in the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1gpJi-3csLc

Holy smokes.
I'm an idiot and got lost and forgot I was wanting to join this RP.

Count me in.
On's and Off's
A's and A's--> Updated: 10/18/23

Timidity

I definitely want to give this a go, and I've been throwing around ideas in the head. But I'm not white sure where to begin... O_o
To those I'm writing with, read the A&As for a brief heads up.
POSTING UPDATE: 11/15/16- Ha ha. I only thought it was almost over. Gosh I lied to myself.  e_e I'm working on post slowly as I can, but my time varies and probably will until after Thanksgiving break. Then things may be more settled,  so expect delays until then. I sincerely apologize for this, and if you'd like to put a hold on a story or stop it all together just let me know. Otherwise, I deeply appreciate your patience. n_n
Le Musings

consortium11

Quote from: Timidity on July 19, 2014, 10:09:50 PM
I definitely want to give this a go, and I've been throwing around ideas in the head. But I'm not white sure where to begin... O_o

Ciosa and Sindra are the two to talk to about turning ideas in your head into characters on paper, at least when it comes to stats and the like. I know how intimidating the character sheet can look to begin with but it's far simpler than it looks and I personally find it really, really useful for defining my character.

If it's ideas/inspiration you're looking for, basically any Western archetype would work well; think of any character from any Wild West media and they'll likely need only a few changes to fit into Gomorra. There's a couple of inspiration threads out there, notably Ciosa's Wicked, Wild, and Western which may help. The "Wierd West" aspect of Doomtown also means that most Steampunk or gothic horror style characters will work as well, although they'll likely need to have a bit more input from Sindra and Ciosa to make sure they fit in perfectly.

If you've got a character in mind and are worrying more about how they'd fit into Gomorra or first arrive in the game, feel free to chat to any of the other players/GM's (either here, by PM or in the OOC thread) about your character and we'll likely be able to sort something out.