News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

How Many Licks?

Started by Spookie Monster, October 11, 2008, 07:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

An individual in the ShoutBox -- I'm a gentlemonster, so I won't say who exactly -- was recently singing the virtues of Tootsie Pops.  Now, everybody who knows Tootsie Pops knows of the famous question that accompanies them: "How many licks does it take to get to the center?"

So, how many licks does it take to get to the center?  I'm not sure myself -- I always bite -- but I did discover this study online:

Tootsie Roll Pop: How Many Licks?

Since the invention of the Tootsie Roll Pop, many men (and women and owls) have asked the question, "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?"  Previous research seems to suggest that one can reach the center with three licks and a bite (ref: Mr. Owl), but this does not sufficiently answer the question.  Ongoing research is being conducted, and preliminary results have been obtained, towards solving the problem.

The investigators have arrived at some interesting conclusions!  I recommend checking out the study.

If you earn some Tootsie Pops this Halloween through trick-or-treating, please let us know how many licks it takes you to get to their centers!

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Inkidu

Through the course of my prolonged study on such an important issue I have reached the conclusion that it takes roughly an average of 1674.54 licks to reach the center of the cherry flavored Tootsie-Pops. Of course these are independent tests and may need to be affirmed. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Pumpkin Seeds

If you have that much patience for licking you will make some woman or man very happy one day.

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on October 11, 2008, 12:07:15 PM
Through the course of my prolonged study on such an important issue I have reached the conclusion that it takes roughly an average of 1674.54 licks to reach the center of the cherry flavored Tootsie-Pops. Of course these are independent tests and may need to be affirmed. :D

You got it down to two decimal places??? You've just officially scared the hell out of me.  :-\

Vekseid

Sherona and I both found it to average to 200, for getting to the center (exposing the chocolate) from one side of consistent licking.

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on October 12, 2008, 04:38:30 AM
You got it down to two decimal places??? You've just officially scared the hell out of me.  :-\
I rounded up.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Quote from: Vekseid on October 12, 2008, 06:22:29 AM
Sherona and I both found it to average to 200, for getting to the center (exposing the chocolate) from one side of consistent licking.
Huh? I must just need more licks. A lot more.

It was also to clear of the whole sucker (Don't ask why. I don't know) so lets say divide it by three or four.

Inkidu

Quote from: Asku on October 12, 2008, 03:03:11 AM
If you have that much patience for licking you will make some woman or man very happy one day.
Only if she tastes like cherries and has a chewy, chocolate center.  :-X

Sherona

Quote from: Vekseid on October 12, 2008, 06:22:29 AM

*nodnods* I remember conducting this little experiment. Also the question is not "How many licks does it take to clear the entire tootsie pop" just to get to the center. So as soon as I tasted, and felt the slightly grainy texture, of the chocolate I stopped licking/counting.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sherona on October 13, 2008, 09:04:06 AM
*nodnods* I remember conducting this little experiment. Also the question is not "How many licks does it take to clear the entire tootsie pop" just to get to the center. So as soon as I tasted, and felt the slightly grainy texture, of the chocolate I stopped licking/counting.
So divide it by what the circumference or something, I don't remember why maybe I was bored with just going to the center and had to know. Though I stopped with there was no red left. 

Sherona

The varying licks is also dependant on temperature of one's mouth, the salivation of the individual, which is why Veks and I did the average of our two results.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sherona on October 13, 2008, 04:39:40 PM
The varying licks is also dependant on temperature of one's mouth, the salivation of the individual, which is why Veks and I did the average of our two results.
I did an average of about seven suckers. Sorry people look at me funny when I want to run an experiment on Tootsie-Pops. :p

ialdabaoth

200? Huh. When I do a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation on the solubility of sugar in saliva and the amount of saliva in a lick, I get around half that.

Pumpkin Seeds

But is the sugar hardened and mixed with various chemicals to keep it that way during transport?

ialdabaoth

Yes, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes. I should run more experiments.

Trieste

Did you make sure to account for the differences in solubility when shifting between the 33° mouth and ~20° room? I would think that would have something to do with it. Also that a lick may not necessarily retrieve all of the saliva it deposits, so one may not actually pick up the entire amount of saliva in the average lick.

:)

ialdabaoth

Quote from: Christmas Trie on December 24, 2008, 09:23:18 AM
Did you make sure to account for the differences in solubility when shifting between the 33° mouth and ~20° room? I would think that would have something to do with it. Also that a lick may not necessarily retrieve all of the saliva it deposits, so one may not actually pick up the entire amount of saliva in the average lick.

:)

I was operating under a temperature assumption of 30° C. :)

Trieste