Lagging, could it be...?

Started by Black Howling, July 05, 2011, 11:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Howling

I hit two bad gateway errors in a row, and then the site started lagging for me really badly. I tried to figure out what it was, and looked to see if something had changed; and that's when I noticed the SB had come back up. I know I'm probably going to be hanged by the SB lovers for posting this question, but does the SB suck so much of the RAM that it actually lags the site this badly?

Things had been running really smoothly. So just wanted to ask. ::)

Vekseid

Quote from: Black Howling on July 05, 2011, 11:05:59 PM
I hit two bad gateway errors in a row, and then the site started lagging for me really badly. I tried to figure out what it was, and looked to see if something had changed; and that's when I noticed the SB had come back up. I know I'm probably going to be hanged by the SB lovers for posting this question, but does the SB suck so much of the RAM that it actually lags the site this badly?

Things had been running really smoothly. So just wanted to ask. ::)

I restarted php just before you posted that, that could have been the cause. Do let me know if it persists.

Black Howling

Quote from: Vekseid on July 06, 2011, 01:11:40 AM
I restarted php just before you posted that, that could have been the cause. Do let me know if it persists.
No, it hasn't persisted. Seemed to have cleared up.

Marguerite

Lagging is hitting my own browser. It took thirty seconds to a minute to load up a page and I thought it was my fault internet.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Elina

Mine is lagging tonight, too.  I thought it was my internet connection, but I tried opening other pages and they seem fine.  It's on and off, though, Veks.

Vekseid

Apparently the last upgrade set smf_log_online back to MyISAM again. I'm hoping that that was it -_-

Marguerite

I have been getting lags for the last fifteen minutes. I double checked my internet but I think its only E being affected.

Lyria

I have a friend in Canada who can't get on E right now. He keeps getting a "Server Busy" error. This is the only site affected, the rest of his connection is fine.

Wonder if it is related?
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

Vekseid

Quote from: Lyria on July 20, 2011, 06:48:46 PM
I have a friend in Canada who can't get on E right now. He keeps getting a "Server Busy" error. This is the only site affected, the rest of his connection is fine.

Wonder if it is related?

Sortof. I left something in the DDOS protection script that I should have removed. If he still gets it, it should tell him he needs to upgrade his browser.

Quote from: Marguerite on July 20, 2011, 06:15:53 PM
I have been getting lags for the last fifteen minutes. I double checked my internet but I think its only E being affected.

At this point we've reached capacity in our current configuration. I can probably do some pruning though.

WhiteTigerForever

yea, the lag time and occasional gate way errors are showing up for me also... ???
Not accepting new roles but Photoshop riches await you instead.

Black Howling

I actually haven't had the issue with them for a while. Yesterday I was having some slight trouble, but I imagine it was do to the pruning or something.

WhiteTigerForever

Quote from: Black Howling on July 22, 2011, 03:42:16 AM
I actually haven't had the issue with them for a while. Yesterday I was having some slight trouble, but I imagine it was do to the pruning or something.

Well I heard it isn't happening for Europe, but idk about here or could be my IP... so again, idk  *shrugs* but I've never had this problem before but I know Vek will fix it... ;D

Vekseid

Quote from: WhiteTigerForever on July 22, 2011, 03:44:28 AM
Well I heard it isn't happening for Europe, but idk about here or could be my IP... so again, idk  *shrugs* but I've never had this problem before but I know Vek will fix it... ;D

The disks are running full speed. I need to get time and means to take the server down and have the disks rearranged.

Vekseid

Marguerite

Lagging has started up with taking more than a minute to load pages. I double checked my internet and everything else is working fine.

WhiteTigerForever

at some points it lags, especially when going to the main page and other areas seem fine.  This is a very complex forum to run... I can't imagine what it takes, time wise to keep it up and fight off the "baddies"...:(

Oreo

The main page is a trouble spot for me, as well.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Marguerite

The lags have gotten longer to two minutes.

Sybl

Loading isn't near two minutes but it is slower than normal times.

Oniya

I only get noticeable lag when I've been playing lots of Flash games - so I'm pretty sure mine is just me.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Marguerite

I noticed if I am on the SB and on E on two different tabs, then the lagging becomes slow until I exit out of the SB.

Vekseid

Erf. We're actually maxing out the CPU. That isn't supposed to be happening : /

Marguerite

HockeyGod

I haven't had lagging in the past, but today it's a bit slower for me. Nothing that makes me yell, but enough to notice it. I notice for me when I post in the sub-forums the lag is a bit longer than say this board.

Vekseid

It's entirely shoutbox related. Or seems to be.

root@trancephalon:/var/log/nginx# grep /forums/chat/ loadlog.log | grep 2011:19:1 | wc -l
4708 <- lag
root@trancephalon:/var/log/nginx# grep /forums/chat/ loadlog.log | grep 2011:19:2 | wc -l
3990 <- lag
root@trancephalon:/var/log/nginx# grep /forums/chat/ loadlog.log | grep 2011:19:3 | wc -l
2698 <- lag nearly gone
root@trancephalon:/var/log/nginx# grep /forums/chat/ loadlog.log | grep 2011:19:4 | wc -l
1856 <- lag completely gone

So there seems to be some point at around 300 requests/minute (about 15 people/windows in the shoutbox) where things start to go to pot. It won't necessarily mean that things lag for them, possibly, but it could.