Rogue Trader Interest Check [Full]

Started by Jaded, September 17, 2014, 12:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Pretty much. It's kind of hilarious just how much Rogue Traders are actually allowed to get away with, as long as they don't rub it in people's faces and force the Inquisition to drop a hammer on general principle. Keeping xenos soldiers/bodyguards is one of those things - in particular with the mindset that if when Xenos fights Xenos on the Emperor's behalf, the Imperium wins either way.

I'm just a little concerned with Lucius getting bored, since it'll be a long time before he can afford the Sanctioning, and until then he's stuck along while the rest of us go on shore leave or whatever.

LuciusLeche

Bwahahaha alright since there aren't too many problems and no outright opposition for it (yet) unless the Rogue Traders object? Then I'll put some work into a bio (or two incase one will mesh with the group better than the other) and have it in after the weekend. Going out of town for a few days with Lidian so I haven't disappeared. And there are career paths for Orks, its just ork specific and spread out through different books but I don't want to be 'that guy' trying to have his Squig and eat it too so sticking with Freeboota, as opposed to like Big Mek or wyrdboy is fine with me. (*Coughcoughunlesspeopledon'tmindcough*)

Also when it comes to being ship-bound I don't entirely mind. Especially if the Big Mek option is open for some sort of ork-kan-icus they teleport into other ships engine rooms to "Fix Fings" and do more damage to enemy ships than anything else.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -Oscar Wilde

On's and Off's

More On's and Off's

TheGlyphstone

You stay out of my damn engine room, you greenskinned thug. :D

LuciusLeche

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 18, 2014, 08:27:55 PM
You stay out of my damn engine room, you greenskinned thug. :D

"Oi! Whar is tha Big Red Button? Kaptin wants ta go fasta!" 

"Thish right hurr is In-e-Fisshant. Whots we needs iz a Gargant whot looks like a pushpin. Dat way da boyz will nevah be surprised! 'cause theyz always under a tack."

also, at mention of the crazy amount of power a rogue trader has, I repost an example of a canon Warrant of Trade

"And to all of his line, from now until the end of time. The Bearer of this Warrant of Trade is granted the inalienable right to go fourth beyond the sacred borders of the blessed Imperium, to contact such benighted civilizations as he may encounter, and to make war for the glory of the Emperor as he deems necessary. By the authorit of the Senatorum Imperialis, this Warrant placed the Vearer as a peer to the great powers of the Imperium, Inter alia: Imperial commanders, Chapter Masters of the Adeptus Astartes, and the masters of the Holy Orders of the Emperor's Inquisition. The authority this Warrant grants begins where the Imperium ends. Beyond the extent of Imperial rule, the bearer of this Warrant speaks with the voice of the Emperor Himself. It is the bearer's right and his responsibility to claim whatever worlds, resources, or privileges he may obtain in any manner he chooses. 

By writ of Seal of Holy Terra."
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -Oscar Wilde

On's and Off's

More On's and Off's

ArcherCC

That is a beautiful amount of power, but I would want one of the Warrant's signed by the Primarchs, big E on the Throne, or Malacore, those ones let the Trader do whatever they want even beyond the normal Warrant.

TheGlyphstone

Indeed. Beyond the official borders, a Rogue Trader IS the Imperium. He can do anything up to and including declaring war and/or negotiating treaties with other powers, both human and alien.

The problem is that when he returns to Imperial space, he needs to be able to make those decisions stick, and not get arrested/executed. That's where it becomes useful to have A) powerful friends, B) lots of money, C) really big guns, or D), All of the above.

LuciusLeche

A) Orks is Strong!
B) Ork got lots o' teef but Green is besht, roight?
C)DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA
D)Stronk gunz wot shoot lots o' Teef. IT CAN'T FAIL.
T)????
Q)How does ork into letters?
$)Proffit.

Deez hurr are words of Wisdum. You have good ideas Glyphstone.

On's and Off's

More On's and Off's

TheGlyphstone

For an Ork, it's even simpler than that. Imperial politics? 'oomie squabbling cause none of them are Green. In-Kwa-Zishon? Cranky 'oomies who fight Kaos and 'fings. Rogue Tradah? Dat's da Boss. He ain't Green, but he's close enough - gives an ork shiny guns that make a lot of Dakka (and replaces them when they break, for free!), tells an Ork what needs fightin' and killin' and then lets them get about it, and doesn't bother with long boring speeches about gods who aren't Cunningly Brutal or Brutally Cunning.

Jaded

Pumpkin Seeds: Seneschal (Purser)
Muse: Rogue Trader (Lord Captain?)
ArcherCC: Missionary (Ship's Confessor)
Primarch: Navigator (First Officer)
HairyHeretic: Rogue Trader (Lord Captain?)
Life on Mars: Astropath Transcendent (Choir-Master Telepathica)
deadmanshand: Arch-Militant (Master-At-Arms)
TheGlyphstone: Explorator
Tackyhillbilly: Voidmaster

I assume an ork starts with the same 500xp as everyone else?  That would make the mark too expensive unless I made him pay it of before spending xp elsewhere, hrm.  I'll wait to hear from one of the Rogue Trader players before approving or denying, as it would come down to them to at least a degree. 

Quote from: Primarch on September 18, 2014, 06:32:46 PM
Spartacus Aurelius

Looks good from a quick glance.  Post him in the character thread please. :-)

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on September 18, 2014, 06:38:18 PM
Do you have room for a Voidmaster?

We should, we are at the level I will want two ships, and I don't believe we have one yet.

TheGlyphstone

Exactly, which was why the Ork would be confined to quarters during port visits, and was hence my concern of the Ork player getting left out of things.

You can add me as the Enginseer Prime, by the way.

ArcherCC

I would say since we start with 500XP, and the Mark is 800XP, allow the player to pay 300XP towards it now, and the next 500XP have to go towards it. That way they have 200XP to play with at the begining, but still are paying heavily for it. Just my two cents.

Pumpkin Seeds

Could even say the ork is on like a probation period with the rogue trader as the overseer and pay for the sanction as we go if he behaves.

TheGlyphstone

The partial payment sounds like the best way to represent that. Without the mark, he's kill-on-sight for any Imperial authority. Once he spends 800 XP and passes a Very Rare Acquisition test (-20 for rarity, +30 for Single quantity, so Profit Factor +10), he's officially Sanctioned and permitted to wander around.

Eobelle

I am definitely interested, if there is still room.

Muse

*waves*  I got my lord captain started before heading to my tabletop.  I'll go link what I have so far. 

He's a fairly typical adventurous, lecherous, glorious bastard who loves to duel.  He's also devout. 

(Not to be confused with fanatical.  Fanatical is normal in this game.  The lord captain, on the other hand, actually prays.  :P 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jaded

TheGlyphstone: Explorator
Tackyhillbilly: Voidmaster
Eobelle: ?

Quote from: Eobelle on September 19, 2014, 02:45:26 AM
I am definitely interested, if there is still room.

You can join if you like. :-)  Then we'll call it full.  What type of character did you have in mind?

Quote from: Muse on September 19, 2014, 02:52:46 AM
*waves*  I got my lord captain started before heading to my tabletop.  I'll go link what I have so far. 

He's a fairly typical adventurous, lecherous, glorious bastard who loves to duel.  He's also devout. 

(Not to be confused with fanatical.  Fanatical is normal in this game.  The lord captain, on the other hand, actually prays.  :P 

I can't access your character sheet.  Also, any comment on the ork discussion?

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Oh, the orc discussion. 

My knee jerk reaction is that it makes me nervous, but I really don't know enough about cannon to have an informed one. 

That said, I trust Lucius, so bring on the orc.  :) 

Eobelle

Honestly, I like playing strange characters (which is one of the reasons I LOVE rogue trader).  There are a couple that immediatly spring to mind

a Rouge psyker false-man Arch-militant Master of Whispers (who gets into very sexy trouble, and gets out of it in equally sexy ways)
Dark Eldar Chief Chirurgeon (Insert teenage enema nurse in bondage joke here)

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Jaded on September 18, 2014, 06:29:21 PM
I need to look over the rules for elite advances better when I have time, but from the look of it it costs 600xp to take?  Which is more than a starting character would have available?  Though admittedly the base xp of 500 but bid how much you want bit is confusing me at the moment and I don't have time to fully dig through it.

Brain fart on my part then, I had the figure of 1000 in my head, rather than 500.

If you have no objections, I'll add the advance into the character background and pay the XP out once I have it available.

We can just say it's the Imperial bureaucracy moving at it's usual pace ;)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Tackyhillbilly

As for rank, Master Helmsman is a pretty obvious choice for my Voidmaster.

Jaded

Okay, I will approve the Ork then.

TheGlyphstone: Explorator (Enginseer Prime)
Tackyhillbilly: Voidmaster (Master Helmsman)
Eobelle: Arch-Militant (Master of Whispers)
LuciusLeche: Ork

Quote from: Muse on September 19, 2014, 04:33:27 AM
That's odd... 

It says anyone with the link can view? 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17xu1j6TiuoT2GElaizqEK8Fc-a3YxBjtWEDG6QW0r6c/edit

Can  anyone else see it? 

It seems to be working now.

Quote from: Eobelle on September 19, 2014, 06:21:03 AM
Honestly, I like playing strange characters (which is one of the reasons I LOVE rogue trader).  There are a couple that immediatly spring to mind

a Rouge psyker false-man Arch-militant Master of Whispers (who gets into very sexy trouble, and gets out of it in equally sexy ways)
Dark Eldar Chief Chirurgeon (Insert teenage enema nurse in bondage joke here)

Are going with the Arch-Militant?

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 19, 2014, 04:16:11 PM
Brain fart on my part then, I had the figure of 1000 in my head, rather than 500.

If you have no objections, I'll add the advance into the character background and pay the XP out once I have it available.

We can just say it's the Imperial bureaucracy moving at it's usual pace ;)

That's fine.  Is he going to be obvious or subtle about it?

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on September 19, 2014, 07:06:29 PM
As for rank, Master Helmsman is a pretty obvious choice for my Voidmaster.

Sounds good. :-)

ChaoticSky

Alas, i missed this and im at my limit for games.

But i did want to point something out that i have said elsewhere. Sanctioned Xenos is a pointless trait. It exists as nothing more than a punishment for xenos players that provides little in the way of benefit other than removing like, -10 fel mechanically.

Rogue Traders are basically above the law (seriously read HS, its basically a list of laws and then a list of why none of them apply to RTs) and very specifically, they are not subject to the normal imperial prohibition against Xenos. While imperial citizens are forbidden any kind of interaction with aliens that doesnt involve the business end of a lasgun, RTs have carte blanch to deal with xenos as they see fit; talking, trading, even hiring. The sole caveat is that they must be acting for the good of the imperium; knocking a alien empire into economic ruin for a quick buck? Just fine. Hiring alien underlings? Also fine. Selling out Imperials to aliens for a buck? not okay. Couple this with the massive amount of respect that having a private ship full of macrocannons in orbit grants :P

A RT's personal retinue isnt likely to be challenged, even xenos, because A) they can employ then legally and B)no one with two brain cells to rub together wants to piss off a Rogue Trader. The only situation where the aegis of the Trader wouldnt be enough would be when dealing with zealots who are more interested in killing the xeno than heeding imperial law on the subject, or situations where the alien and trader are separated.

Now consider a sanctioned xenos; They has fancy papers that say they are okay-xenos, signed by imperial institutions. Who do fancy papers not protect you from? Zealots who are more interested in killing the xeno than heeding imperial law on the subject. Whats more, the papers themselves are worthless without the signatory present to affirm their veracity, so they are worthless in situations where the alien and trader are separated.

Now, you may have noticed, theres some serious echoing on there, it almost sounds like they do nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all. And youd be correct. Both ICly and OOCly, Sanctioned Xenos is nothing more than a pointless tax. For what its worth, i would posit that you shouldnt punish someone for wanting to play a xenos character, allow or refuse, but dont force them to burn hundreds of exp for little gain they wouldnt have had anyway.

Thought for the day  ;D

HairyHeretic

Assuming the expanded paths from Into the Storm are okay to use, this is what I'll be going with

Homeworld - Battlefleet
Birthright - Service to the Throne (Born to Lead)
Lure of the Void - New Horizons (Xenoarcanist)
Trials and Travails - Dark Voyage
Motivation - Prestige
Career - Rogue Trader

I'll hold off on writing everything up til I get an okay on these.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Jaded

Those are fine HairyHeretic, though it looks like it eats a good chunk of your start xp.