Kobold Game set up and full, thanks!

Started by Quinz128, March 04, 2016, 05:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Heya, Quinz?

Hope you don't mind a tiny bit of input on your 'bold. Elliquiy's got a "minimum character age" in any game in which any adult shenanigans might possibly occur...It's 16. Maybe do a (technically adult human age) "in kobold years" or whatever, like Luna did?

Not saying there's GOING to be adult shenanigans, but...This is Elliquiy. XD

Muse, that's an awesome feat...I think my character may be a tiny bit too feat-starved to go for it, though.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Foxfyr

I think they have a caveat allocating for age equivalence for non-normal aging races.

ragarth

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 16, 2016, 10:47:36 AM
Muse ragarth, that's an awesome feat...I think my character may be a tiny bit too feat-starved to go for it, though.

Ah, but if everyone got it. We'd be stealth gods. What's a kobold good for? Slinking into crevaces they don't belong. ~.n

Quinz128

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 16, 2016, 10:47:36 AM
Heya, Quinz?

Hope you don't mind a tiny bit of input on your 'bold. Elliquiy's got a "minimum character age" in any game in which any adult shenanigans might possibly occur...It's 16. Maybe do a (technically adult human age) "in kobold years" or whatever, like Luna did?

Not saying there's GOING to be adult shenanigans, but...This is Elliquiy. XD

Muse, that's an awesome feat...I think my character may be a tiny bit too feat-starved to go for it, though.

I thought they had age-equivelancy, because 30 is the usual peak for kobolds, and they even are considered adult before even reaching 10, if I remember right. But yeah I'll put 'in kobold years' if it makes it safer.

And I do like me some teamwork feats, but always have to worry about things. And hell, if we all end up biting it as individuals, let's be OP stupid and make a group of Swarm Fighters (Kobold Variant on Fighter)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 16, 2016, 11:00:17 AM
I think they have a caveat allocating for age equivalence for non-normal aging races.

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 16, 2016, 01:07:45 PM
I thought they had age-equivelancy, because 30 is the usual peak for kobolds, and they even are considered adult before even reaching 10, if I remember right. But yeah I'll put 'in kobold years' if it makes it safer.

Yeah, equivalency is allowed, but saying it in print "in kobold years" or whatever makes it safer so that no mod who isn't familiar with kobold lifespans gets worried and jumps in, you know? I'm certainly not trying to make or borrow trouble, just trying to help prevent possible future misunderstanding. :)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 15, 2016, 09:36:19 PM
First of Three Concepts done. I'll roll with whichever the group chooses or whichever needs to fit. This one would NOT be the face, at all... Drained Charisma a bit to make him a bit of a Savant.

Kirrok the Trapsavant
Class: Snare Setter Rogue
Concept: An savant-like apprentice of trapping
Appearance: Dusty Red scales and pure white eyes other than the pupils dotted in the center, Kirrok seems slightly more hearty than other kobolds. His frame is still weak-looking and wiry, with thin arms and thin legs, though his tail seems a bit thicker than average. His snout seems to have particularly spiny scales, that curl a bit upwards and seems to continue this pattern until they feather out at his forehead in a curious crest. His fingers also seem particularly long, which gives him a bit of a clumsy look. His eyes are set close, as well, causing a bit of a focused look to his gaze.
Personality: A bit loud and rude, it seems like Kirrok never seemed to have gotten beyond the initial selfishness he had upon his hatching. A bit aloof, the trapsmith seems to focus his time in silence, besides the chattering of a mentor, which he bounces between, to enhance his smithing. His skills with traps soon came so that he could set things up in unprecedented times as well as figuring new ways to produce things, making him a bit arrogant in his field as well as a bit louder, overall, despite his general weakness in direct confrontation. But he does think that direct confrontation is a fool's last mistake anyways.
Brief Bio: Kirrok is not originally from this tribe. He, instead, came from another in the mountains that had been routed. He traveled to find new ones and skipped from one tribe to the other, learning a bit more in each before trading his skillfully made traps and leaving with the new bit of knowledge. He eventually found the shipbound tribe, curious of the methods they did and seeing if he could learn a bit more from the smiths here, as well as lend his talents.

Character Sheet Link: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=783327

Will soon be adding the other two choices of Ryzzyl the Sea-Setter a Trapper-Ranger and Dyrtek the Manslayer a Titan Mauler Barbarian

Oh, thank you baby raptor jesus, i'm not stuck with the rogue!

ragarth

Blarg. I'm having writer's block something fierce on this character. I have an idea for a concept but the words. The WORDS. They fail me. :-(

ragarth

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 16, 2016, 03:57:11 PM
Oh, thank you baby raptor jesus, i'm not stuck with the rogue!

SO what would you like to be? A raptor wrangler? :-)

Muse

^_^;; 

Was hoping to find out if there was space for me or not before I started working on a character. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ragarth

Quote from: Muse on April 16, 2016, 06:11:32 PM
^_^;; 

Was hoping to find out if there was space for me or not before I started working on a character.

I'm not really sure. Right now we're at 5 players. I've never done a system game via pbp so I don't know how many it is before the game gets bogged down, nor do I know what our GM is comfortable handling.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ragarth on April 16, 2016, 06:19:13 PM
I'm not really sure. Right now we're at 5 players. I've never done a system game via pbp so I don't know how many it is before the game gets bogged down, nor do I know what our GM is comfortable handling.

Six isn't out of the question at all for PbP IF the GM is okay with it. It's really up to the GM, when all is said and done. :)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

Question for you, Great KING TORG!

If we have the ability to make something, can we make it at creation cost or do we still have to buy it?

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I just wanted to throw out a thing...Possible optional equipment items from a 3rd party PF Supplement called (DRUM ROLL) "Races Revised: The Kobold Kings" by Super Genius Games. As you might expect, these are all kobold-specific racial items (not unlike the "Tail Terror" weapons).

I'd like your opinion on whether or not some or all of these are okay, Foxfyr? (The Propitious Pouch is the item I'm most interested in.)

Buckler, Tail
Buckler, Tail
A tail buckler acts like a normal buckler, but is carefully balanced and constructed to be strapped to the tail of a tailed creature. The tail cannot be used for any other purpose while wearing a tail buckler, and if any other equipment is strapped to the tail the AC bonus of the buckler is lost.
Buckler, Tail; 50 gp; 2 lbs.(1)
Carny's Observation: I think this would probably require either the Prehensile Tail Trait or the Tail Terror Feat to be useful?

Pouch, Tail
Pouch, Tail
A tail pouch is typically made of soft leather, with a wide belt with a tough cloth or sharkskin interior. It straps snugly to the tail of a kobold or similar creature. Because the tail can be brought up to the wearer’s hands easily, an item can be removed from
a tail pouch carefully (a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity) or quickly (a move action that provokes normally). It typically holds 1 lb. or 80 cubic inches (4 inches x 4 inches x 5 inches).
Pouch, Tail (empty); 2 gp; 1/8 lb.(1)
(1)When made for Small characters. When made for Medium creatures this item weighs four times more,
and can carry four times more material.

Propitious Pouch
Propitious Pouch
Aura: moderate conjuration; CL: 6th
Slot: —; Price: 500 gp; Weight: 1 lb.
Description
This pouch is made of soft but sturdy leather, fastened by a single bone button. The pouch appears large enough to hold about a quart of material. In fact it is very similar to the side pouches on a handy haversack, and can actually hold material of as much as 2 cubic feet in volume or 20 pounds in weight. Additionally, when the wearer reaches into it for a specific item, that item is always on top. Thus, no digging around and fumbling is ever necessary to find what the pouch contains. Retrieving any specific item from a propitious pouch is a move action, but it does not provoke the attacks of opportunity that retrieving a stored item usually does.
A propitious pouch can also be used as a tail pouch (see above). In this case, retrieving a single specific item from it is a swift action.
Construction Requirements
Craft Wondrous Item, secret page;
Cost: 250 gp
Carny's Observation: It's basically 1/5 of a Handy Haversack for 1/5 of the cost of a Handy Haversack. This is a thing because even a Handy Haversack (and definitely a Bag of Holding) are actually pretty heavy items for a Kobold.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Idle addendum:

It's worth noting, since Tiamat is missing in most Pathfinder references on Deities, that she does exist in some of the Pathfinder core books.

Apsu (the first good dragon) is the draconic form taken by the fresh water, which was one of two things that existed at the beginning of the universe.

Tiamat (not the first evil dragon, but certainly their queen) is the draconic form taken by the salt water...And what're we most likely to be sailing on, hm?

There are no traits for followers of her religion, no rules for her priests, but I think that if most scaly good things worship Apsu, it makes more sense for more Lawful scaly bad things to worship the big T than to worship Dahak.

Thoughts? Opinions? Declarations of fealty?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Quinz128

Just as a note, fiddling around I have figured modifications on the characters I was making. One is still a Trapper-Ranger, the other I changed from a Titan Mauler to a Savage Fighter with a Dragon-Wrought theme, though Dragon-Wrought is a D&D thing, so won't be commenting on that. Could be quite fun and may want to go that route. Will basically fill for these Martial classes though - Rogue, Ranger or Fighter for sure.

Also that is interesting as I haven't ever seen this mention of Apsu and Tiamat in PF. All my Dragon-God knowledge if from D&D with Io being the original maker, along with Aasternian being my favored. Admittedly, I haven't gotten much into PF's theology. But it is an interesting and entertaining thing to go off of.

Foxfyr

For the buckler, I will require tail terror in order for it to be usable as a typical buckler. Without the feat, it can only be used when going total defense.

For the storage items, I will require prehensile tail for it to be able to be used in combat as stated. Otherwise they will be full round actions that provoke.

As for the dragon deities, I'll give you room to fill in whatever blanks are missing from the pathfinder pantheon.

Foxfyr

Oh, and I am willing to give 6 people a shot. Just know that with that many players, there will be no official posting order and that if we are waiting for more than a day or two for a single person to post, they are subject to being skipped for the sake of maintaining momentum.

That disclaimer stated, it'll be great to have you aboard Muse. :)

Quinz128

Hey, just to note. The more I'm working on the new character, the more I want to play it. Basically a Blue Dragon Wrought Kobold who will focus on being, like, a mini dragon. Will go the Dragon-Style, have Dragon-Feats and Tail Terror in due time so it will be able to breath electricity, natural weapon with the best manufactured weapons as well as give a deafening roar to damage enemies, as well as drape herself in scale-armor to mimic the dragons. She'll be so awesome! (Will change to a male if there is some discrepancy in gender. XD) I also specifically made her a 'face' due to the traits she has. (She has Bluff, Diplomacy AND intimidate as class skills and has points in them)

Here are the three different slots. Preference for play going in a descending order, decided to edit this one than make a new one, since it'd be seen either way!

Gynnezz the Black
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Class: Savage Warrior Fighter
Concept: Warrior Seeking to be as dragonlike as her birthright allows
Appearance:Scales of pure black, eyes of molten red and musculature that seems rare amongst kobolds as her wings. Hardy and strong for a kobold, her frame shows it, with trained muscles and a maw of teeth that cause to give her a rather unsettling visage, even amongst some kobolds. Despite this, her form is not wholey unattractive, perhaps due to the way she carries herself with confidence befitting of one born with such an appearance.
Personality: Gynnezz is rather soft-spoke, despite her look. However on the battlefield that changes where she attempts to be vicious and as ferocious as she believes the dragons she emulates are. Though if one were to ask her, despite the lack of having actually met a dragon, she gathered various stories and interests in the creatures, though which ones are true and fictitious is up for debate. She dreams to meet an actual dragon and gain a blessing for the work she does in imitating them.
Brief Bio: Praised from her birth, Gynnezz has a bit of pride in her look and an awe that came with how people spoke of her being closer to the dragonkind they spawn from than others. She was raised with a sense of duty to the tribe and to work as a protector for them since her birth as she was a natural choice of guardian. This tempered her arrogance as she knew she needed to do what she could to protect those useful and worthy to help the tribe, though also was wise enough to know those that had to be culled shouldn't be saved. She grew up with an intense sense of belonging because of her role, and has a bit of a complex in keeping the security of the tribe whether with words or combat.

Character Sheet Link: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=783329

Kirrok the Trapsavant

Class: Snare Setter Rogue
Concept: An savant-like apprentice of trapping
Appearance: Dusty Red scales and pure white eyes other than the pupils dotted in the center, Kirrok seems slightly more hearty than other kobolds. His frame is still weak-looking and wiry, with thin arms and thin legs, though his tail seems a bit thicker than average. His snout seems to have particularly spiny scales, that curl a bit upwards and seems to continue this pattern until they feather out at his forehead in a curious crest. His fingers also seem particularly long, which gives him a bit of a clumsy look. His eyes are set close, as well, causing a bit of a focused look to his gaze.
Personality: A bit loud and rude, it seems like Kirrok never seemed to have gotten beyond the initial selfishness he had upon his hatching. A bit aloof, the trapsmith seems to focus his time in silence, besides the chattering of a mentor, which he bounces between, to enhance his smithing. His skills with traps soon came so that he could set things up in unprecedented times as well as figuring new ways to produce things, making him a bit arrogant in his field as well as a bit louder, overall, despite his general weakness in direct confrontation. But he does think that direct confrontation is a fool's last mistake anyways.
Brief Bio: Kirrok is not originally from this tribe. He, instead, came from another in the mountains that had been routed. He traveled to find new ones and skipped from one tribe to the other, learning a bit more in each before trading his skillfully made traps and leaving with the new bit of knowledge. He eventually found the shipbound tribe, curious of the methods they did and seeing if he could learn a bit more from the smiths here, as well as lend his talents.

Character Sheet Link: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=783327
Kirrok Image

Ryzzyl the Trapper

Class: Trapper Ranger
Concept: Trapper and Weasel Trainer that holds old grudges
Appearance: Dull brown scales with a tinge of green are what surrounds this kobold giving him quite a earth-tone to his body. His form is less spindly than the average kobold with golden eyes that seem to pop out further due to the tone of his scales. He has a set of spines down the back of his had that are barely noticable and of a brown color.
Personality: Playful with an affinity for small furry creatures, Ryzzyl enjoys the time spent training animals than with others of his race due to a suspicious nature that borders on paranoia. He works on traps for the tribe, but generally keeps to himself despite being able to be friendly when needed.
Brief Bio: Stories of the kobolds under the earth and their competitions was kind of what got Ryzzyl involved in traps to begin with. The idea of tunnels and squeezed areas were fascinating and he wanted to expand a bit on that, seeing if it would be possible to help his tribe in that way. After a bit of an issue with another trapmaker which resulted in an uneasy nature between the trapmakers and Ryzzyl, he was charged with something else, taking care of the weasels that they had kept aboard as hunting companions, pets and food if worse-came-to-worse.

Character Sheet Link: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=783328
Ryzzyl Image

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 17, 2016, 04:10:05 AM
For the buckler, I will require tail terror in order for it to be usable as a typical buckler. Without the feat, it can only be used when going total defense.

For the storage items, I will require prehensile tail for it to be able to be used in combat as stated. Otherwise they will be full round actions that provoke.

As for the dragon deities, I'll give you room to fill in whatever blanks are missing from the pathfinder pantheon.

Quote from: ragarth on April 16, 2016, 07:18:53 PM
Question for you, Great KING TORG!

If we have the ability to make something, can we make it at creation cost or do we still have to buy it?

Foxfyr, so if I can make something, do I pay creation or purchase cost?

Foxfyr

@Quinz - 2*str in that situation makes sense to me.

@ragarth - pay the average between them so you gain some of the benefit  but not overly so.

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 17, 2016, 12:17:28 PM
@ragarth - pay the average between them so you gain some of the benefit  but not overly so.

Rightio. There are two magic items I came up with that I wanted to run by you.

The first is goggles of painless peering. Previously these were CL1 goggles that give my eyes the effect of penumbra. They're 1000gp purchase cost items. An addition to this that I thought of for this game is to allow the use of read magic 3 times a day, this makes the cost 1540gp.

The second is a convenience item: The bag of useless junk.
It's a CL3 item that allows you to pull up to 30gp of mundane objects from it as a full round action. The bag can have its 30gp value renewed by putting an amount of stuff back into it.
So let's say you have a fresh bag of useless junk and pull some rope out of it. Rope is 5gp, so now you can pull 25gp out of the bag. That rope ends up getting burned to ash and destroyed. You can drop 5gp in objects back in the bag and renew the bag to it's 30gp value. The GM has the freedom to refuse any items being pulled from the bag.

The bag doesn't make the items from nothing. Rather, it pulls the items from the place that all left socks go when you lose them.

It's basically a convenience item that helps me avoid having huge inventory lists like '1 bell, 1 fishhook, twine...'

These are custom magic items that I've used in a few games now. Given that they're custom, they are, of course, subject to GM veto.

------------------------

One more question about purchasing items. I'm taking craft wondrous items because it's just an awesome feat. By RAW, even if the caster level of an item is above the character (ie, handy haversack is CL9), the rules state you can still make it. This means even at 4th level, by raw I can theoretically make a handy haversack or pearl of power.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Creation
Though the listed Caster Level for a pearl of power is 17th, that caster level is not part of the Requirements listing for that item. Therefore, the only caster level requirement for a pearl of power is the character has to be able to cast spells of the desired level. However, it makes sense that the minimum caster level of the pearl is the minimum caster level necessary to cast spells of that level--it would be strange for a 2nd-level pearl to be CL 1st. For example, a 3rd-level wizard with Craft Wondrous Item can create a 1st-level pearl, with a minimum caster level of 1. He can set the caster level to whatever he wants (assuming he can meet the crafting DC), though the pearl's caster level has no effect on its powers (other than its ability to resist dispel magic). If he wants to make a 2nd-level pearl, the caster level has to be at least 3, as wizards can't cast 2nd-level spells until they reach character level 3. He can even try to make a 3rd-level pearl, though the minimum caster level is 5, and he adds +5 to the DC because he doesn't meet the "able to cast 3rd-level spells" requirement.

I found that being able to buy off the caster level of an item leads to a little bit of power bloat, so I asked the GM in a current game I play to house rule that you cannot make a magic item with a caster level higher than your own. I've found that this house rule feels too restrictive because there are some items that are essential that are locked out from me making for forever (pearl of power 1, for instance, is CL18).

Neither option, RAW or the house rule I offered in my current game, is very good. But I know of no better alternatives. So what's your opinion on whether my character can make higher CL items such as a handy haversack or a pearl of power?

To give an idea, some items that are above my caster level that I'm considering making:
2000 handy haversack CL9
4000 headband of vast intelligence +2 CL8
250 traveler's any-tool CL9
750 snapleaf CL5
850 dust of dryness CL11
1000 pearl of power 1

Foxfyr

Those custom items look good to me, so I'll allow both.

As for crafting items above your caster level, I have a proposition that gives you the opportunity to do so, but with increased risk. For each CL the item requires above yours increases the risk of things going awry. In addition to your craft check to make the item in this instance, I will do some rolling behind the scenes regardless of whether you pass the check (though the better your check, the better the outcome will be for you.) Either way, 'crafting beyond your capability' will always run the risk of the item being glitchy, (literally) blowing up in your face, or being a cursed item. So those items are within your reach, but you need to really consider if the need for it is worth the risk.

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 17, 2016, 02:34:41 PM
Those custom items look good to me, so I'll allow both.

As for crafting items above your caster level, I have a proposition that gives you the opportunity to do so, but with increased risk. For each CL the item requires above yours increases the risk of things going awry. In addition to your craft check to make the item in this instance, I will do some rolling behind the scenes regardless of whether you pass the check (though the better your check, the better the outcome will be for you.) Either way, 'crafting beyond your capability' will always run the risk of the item being glitchy, (literally) blowing up in your face, or being a cursed item. So those items are within your reach, but you need to really consider if the need for it is worth the risk.

Sounds good to me. Now on that front, if the item's CL is equal or lower than my CL, is there no risk at all? And will I be allowed to know the risk chances? IE less than item CL - my CL on a d100?

Foxfyr

Right, as long as the item CL is at or below yours, the risk of crafting follows the RAW.

As for the risk chances, that will remain a mystery apart from a brief description like 'slight risk', 'moderate risk', 'significant risk', and 'hahaha, good luck'. I feel that helps to keep things interesting.  ;)

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 17, 2016, 03:01:13 PM
Right, as long as the item CL is at or below yours, the risk of crafting follows the RAW.

As for the risk chances, that will remain a mystery apart from a brief description like 'slight risk', 'moderate risk', 'significant risk', and 'hahaha, good luck'. I feel that helps to keep things interesting.  ;)

Sounds like fun!

Now, buying extra spells for my spell book. Do I pay scroll cost or copy cost at character creation?