The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

TheGlyphstone

Beorning

On another note...

This weekend, I watched Sinister. And you know what? I'm a bit worried about the coming Doctor Strange movie.

The thing is, this movie will be directed by Scott Derrickson, right? The guy behind Sinister, as well as The Exorcism Of Emily Rose and Deliver Us From Evil. And both Sinister and Exorcisms are movies that are extremely dark and scary. They are among the scariest horror movies I know... And, while DUFE didn't impress me too much, this movie's tone was similar: heavy and creepy.

So... what if Derrickson does the Doctor Strange movie in similar tone? Would that be appropriate? I know that the comics with Strange tended to have an aspect of horror to them quite often, but they weren't *that* scary...

CuriousEyes

...I would kind of love to see an MCU movie score a hard-"R" from the MPAA actually.

I know that probably won't happen because Marvel/Disney have way too much invested to keeping these movies at PG-13 (statistically where the money is at for box office takes). And more than likely this guy didn't get signed on to direct without acknowledging (perhaps even being contractually obligated to) a goal to get the movie to PG-13.

I guess I could be surprised. If the Netflix take on Daredevil were subject to those kinds of rating systems it might be a push case for an R, but that's more on account of language than anything about very graphic violence/horror elements. More than likely I'd say, although I'm not incredibly familiar with Dr. Strange's exact mythos (I mostly only saw him in cameo roles of other comics vs. reading his primary material), that the aesthetic of Hellboy 1 & 2 are a probable template for the "feel" of the movie. Occult, but not particularly horrifying.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on May 19, 2015, 08:16:41 AM
...I would kind of love to see an MCU movie score a hard-"R" from the MPAA actually.

I know that probably won't happen because Marvel/Disney have way too much invested to keeping these movies at PG-13 (statistically where the money is at for box office takes). And more than likely this guy didn't get signed on to direct without acknowledging (perhaps even being contractually obligated to) a goal to get the movie to PG-13.

I guess I could be surprised. If the Netflix take on Daredevil were subject to those kinds of rating systems it might be a push case for an R, but that's more on account of language than anything about very graphic violence/horror elements. More than likely I'd say, although I'm not incredibly familiar with Dr. Strange's exact mythos (I mostly only saw him in cameo roles of other comics vs. reading his primary material), that the aesthetic of Hellboy 1 & 2 are a probable template for the "feel" of the movie. Occult, but not particularly horrifying.

Well each Marvel movie tries to be a genre film 'with superheroes thrown in' rather than simply a superhero movie. Not exactly sure what most of them were intended to be, but pretty darn sure that none of them has been a horror movie yet. So at least they're stepping into new territory, which as we've seen from Guardians of the Galaxy, is a good thing. Frankly something suspenseful and stimulating in the right way would be a refreshing change of pace for Marvel and give them a chance to shake off all the criticisms of being so formulaic (if done right.) His first opponent of a major scale was, according to wikipedia, the dream lord Nightmare. How easy would it be to make a world of horrors out of this guy's ability and have Strange be the only hero who has the right knowledge and power to combat that? If Strange has to confront his own deepest fears, that gives a perfect reason for them to delve into flashbacks and tell his origin story in a non-linear fashion, which is apparently supposed to replace the generic origin story format after Ant-Man.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: CuriousEyes on May 19, 2015, 08:16:41 AM

Deadpool is going to be rated R, does that count?

Beorning

I can confirm that Nightmare was Strange's first major foe (in fact, his *first* foe, at least if the order of appearances is considered - Baron Mordo was his first foe chronologically speaking, but he appeared in a later story). And yes, this character's appearance should probably involve some scary imaginery... Still, there's scary and there Scott Derrickson :) In opinion, Derrickson's movies are beyond scary - they are horrifying, as well as deeply, deeply unsettling... Not bashing him, he's a good director - I just don't know if he isn't too much for a Strange story.

BTW. When it comes to Strange foes, I'm quite sure that the movie will go with Dormammu. A bit sadly, because he's overused, IMHO.

TheGlyphstone

Was going to say, Nightmare might be Strange's first written villain, but Dormammu is by far his most iconic one, and who should rightfully headline Strange's first solo movie.

Beorning

True. Still, I'm kind of bored with him...

They could surprise everyone and go with Shuma-Gorath :)

CuriousEyes

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 19, 2015, 11:11:40 AM
Deadpool is going to be rated R, does that count?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but is Deadpool part of the actual MCU-proper (or even the vague intermarriage sort of thing like what's happened to Spiderman)? I get them so muddled.

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on May 19, 2015, 11:58:39 AM
I can confirm that Nightmare was Strange's first major foe (in fact, his *first* foe, at least if the order of appearances is considered - Baron Mordo was his first foe chronologically speaking, but he appeared in a later story). And yes, this character's appearance should probably involve some scary imaginery... Still, there's scary and there Scott Derrickson :) In opinion, Derrickson's movies are beyond scary - they are horrifying, as well as deeply, deeply unsettling... Not bashing him, he's a good director - I just don't know if he isn't too much for a Strange story.

BTW. When it comes to Strange foes, I'm quite sure that the movie will go with Dormammu. A bit sadly, because he's overused, IMHO.

Hence why I mention Nightmare; why go for the Mandarin in Iron Man 1, right? Dormammu could certainly be the man behind the scenes but I think for Strange's first appearance he should have a more subtle-abilitied if less powerful foe, especially if he's going to be bringing Scarlet Witch along as his apprentice.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: CuriousEyes on May 19, 2015, 12:50:02 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but is Deadpool part of the actual MCU-proper (or even the vague intermarriage sort of thing like what's happened to Spiderman)? I get them so muddled.

Deadpool along with the bulk of the X-Men (except for Quick Silver and Scarlet Witch [don't even ask about Silver appearing in both the X-Men and Avengers] ) Fox owns the movie rights so that's why they are getting away with the R-Rating for the Deadpool movie as it is not part of the MCU
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 19, 2015, 04:29:23 PM
Deadpool along with the bulk of the X-Men (except for Quick Silver and Scarlet Witch [don't even ask about Silver appearing in both the X-Men and Avengers] ) Fox owns the movie rights so that's why they are getting away with the R-Rating for the Deadpool movie as it is not part of the MCU

Oh right, my bad.

SapphireStar

They've released some on set photos for Captain America: Civil War. One was of Crossbones. I'm kind of on the fence with his attire. It kind of reminds me of the Arrow Deathstroke ensemble. Actually, going back and looking at the image again, Crossbones attire looks more like Taskmaster's costume upgrade to more tactical gear he wore through in the Taskmaster 4 issue mini-series and Agent X and Deadpool comics. They've added the Scarlet Witch to the roster for the movie.

Matttheman89

They really should just call it Avengers: Civil War at this point, rather than Captain America: Civil War. I know Steve Rogers is integral to the plot and everything, but this is clearly beyond just Captain America and Iron Man. This is a movie that is going to affect the MCU as a whole, and has almost ALL of the Avengers in it as this point. The only ones not confirmed for the movie yet are Thor and Hulk, and Mark Ruffalo has already teased that he might be in the movie somehow. Combined with appearances from Black Panther and Spider-Man, this movie is clearly going to be even more packed with than Avengers: Age of Ultron was.

CaptainNexus616

Well my money is this is going to greatly affect the character Captain America. In the comics Hulk and Thor were in fact absent during the Civil War with the exception of a Thor Clone, Mr. Fantastic and Iron Man created to even the odds.

For that matter I have a feeling this is going to end a similar way the war in the Comics did and will greatly affect both Captain America and the Winter Soldier.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

It probably will as Emily Van Camp is returning as Sharon Carter/Agent 13. Chris Evans said he was done with playing Captain America and movies in general.

Mathim

Quote from: Matttheman89 on May 19, 2015, 10:02:00 PM
They really should just call it Avengers: Civil War at this point, rather than Captain America: Civil War. I know Steve Rogers is integral to the plot and everything, but this is clearly beyond just Captain America and Iron Man. This is a movie that is going to affect the MCU as a whole, and has almost ALL of the Avengers in it as this point. The only ones not confirmed for the movie yet are Thor and Hulk, and Mark Ruffalo has already teased that he might be in the movie somehow. Combined with appearances from Black Panther and Spider-Man, this movie is clearly going to be even more packed with than Avengers: Age of Ultron was.

Was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt even after hearing about Spidey's inclusion, but now that Ant-Man and others are showing up, I am genuinely worried about this being a bloated mess like Age of Ultron. I was talking to a co-worker about it today and he said he'd heard that an entire hour had been cut from the movie to make it into theaters. Frankly, I think they waited too long to split up an Avengers movie with Infinity War; Age of Ultron, if this rumor is correct, might have fared better as two 2-hour parts if it gave more time for a coherent plot, character development, important exposition and perhaps polishing some of the less stellar ways certain scenes went down.

Also, I can't wait for CinemaSins to do the "Everything Wrong With Age of Ultron" video. I can just see it now:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
"If Ultron took over the Iron Legion when he swamped Jarvis, then how the f*cking f*ck does Tony Stark still have any suits that are not under Ultron's control?"

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 19, 2015, 10:17:42 PM
It probably will as Emily Van Camp is returning as Sharon Carter/Agent 13. Chris Evans said he was done with playing Captain America and movies in general.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I heard too about Chris but I suspect  his Captain America may be the one to either beat or weaken Thanos. During Age of Ultron when they were having a "Who can lift Thor's Hammer" contest it budged for him. Note it BUDGED he couldn't lift it so that means he doesn't meet the requirements yet so something character wise needs to happen to Steve Rogers in order for it to be lifted. They wont include that brief little scene there if it didn't hold some future importance

SapphireStar

True, but it has been implied that Captain America: Civil War was to be Chris Evans last film. When he mentioned leaving films, Marvel revamped Cap's story. Suddenly he was aging, and Sam Wilson/Falcon became the new Captain America. Civil War could end with one of several possible endings, but things seem to be leaning towards the events in the comics involving Crossbones, and Sharon Carter.

Look at the X-Men movies. When Scott Marsden jumped over to do Superman Returns, they killed Cyclops in X-Men: Last Stand.

CaptainNexus616

They didn't even give Cyclops an on screen death!  one minute he's there next minute BAM SCENE CHANGE AND DEAD!

No respect at Fox.

I would love with the Deadpool movie opening somewhere along the lines like this then bam the opening title

SapphireStar

His death was seen in the reflection of his ruby sunglasses as they floated around as Jean Grey incinerated him.

It would be awesome, if in the Deadpool movie he is watching the movie and does a Mystery Science Theater 3000 commentary  ;D

Inkidu

I'm gonna shift gears on you guys a moment, just to say that now the first season is done.

I really, really liked the Flash (the one on the CW). As one of the few DC Heroes I actually liked (being a smart mouthed kid with leg issues myself, who wouldn't like him). I really liked how the show embraced the fact that it was based off a comic book (as opposed to what a lot of them do by trying to make it a movie with comic book whispered in the ear of the director) and did it without being utterly wacky. It probably had one of the deepest and most complex over arching villains in any comic book translation to media, and a villain who didn't exist in a vacuum at that.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 19, 2015, 11:22:21 PM
True, but it has been implied that Captain America: Civil War was to be Chris Evans last film. When he mentioned leaving films, Marvel revamped Cap's story. Suddenly he was aging, and Sam Wilson/Falcon became the new Captain America. Civil War could end with one of several possible endings, but things seem to be leaning towards the events in the comics involving Crossbones, and Sharon Carter.

Look at the X-Men movies. When Scott Marsden jumped over to do Superman Returns, they killed Cyclops in X-Men: Last Stand.

That doesn't mean he can't come back in a cameo role (like in Thor: The Dark World) or for just a few minutes. I stand by my Captain Universe theory where he wields both his shield and Thor's hammer to take on Thanos with Enigma Force to combat the Titan's Infinity Gauntlet.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."