News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Cyclone Yasi

Started by Zealously Jaded, February 02, 2011, 09:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zealously Jaded

Just found this picture on Twitter, I think this just shows how big the cyclone is...

Wolfy

Sweet...which country do we get to send aid to this time? :D

Sabby

I'm right there on the right coast, just above where Australia and that blue place meet.

Miss Lilly

omg....Yasi was so goddam big.  Biggest cyclone to make landfall in Australian history, I think!

Buggered if I know how no one was killed.....
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Endorphin

We're resilient over here!  XD
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Oniya

Quote from: Endorphin on February 05, 2011, 07:23:53 PM
We're resilient over here!  XD

Why am I reminded of the line:  'That's not a knife...'?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Endorphin

Probably 'cause the real life Crocodile Hunter (Steve Irwin) was just as crazy and reckless as the Crocodile Dundee. Kinda gives Aussies an image they'd have trouble shakin' - even if they wanted to. ;)
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Sabby

Yeah... and he was killed by a flap of skin with a little pin.

Endorphin

It was actually the post sting 'treatment' which killed him.

Those things are pretty mean though. They grow bigger than a man, twice as heavy and have a stinger that causes local trauma, pain, swelling, muscle cramps from the venom and bacterial infection. No doubt something that could take down Steve Irwin would have little trouble with less worthy specimens.

The people I know who've been hit by even a baby one don't seem all that keen on a second episode.

Sabby

It was still very underwhelming >.< You'd think the Croc Hunter would have been killed by... I dunno, a Crocodile?

Endorphin

Certainly would have been a lot more exciting. Poor bastard.

Miss Lilly

There was one death, which I guess will be attributed to the cyclone. Although asphixiation during a cyclone seems to be a bit of an oxymoron...
Visit Lola's!

Vekseid

Oniya

Even so, Yasi's cloud disk would have stretched from Maine to Florida.  By comparison, Hurricane Katrina fit inside the Gulf of Mexico.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Miss Lilly

Yasi was massive...we're actually feeling some of the effects here in the west.  Only in the eastern parts of the west, but still....
Visit Lola's!

Braioch

Doesn't surprise me. I mean how much of Australia's wildlife exists with the propensity to kill dozens of men at one time? The whole continent is out to kill people, so it only makes sense that the weather would give it a go too.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Miss Lilly

Braioch, you have an altogether too gloomy view of us!
Visit Lola's!

Braioch

It's true!

You guys and the Amazon!
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Endorphin

It's true though. Australia does have way more than its fair share of potentially leathal wildlife. Kind of like the isolation of the Galapogos, but deadly.

The silver lining on the cyclone cloud is that all of our major population centres are much further South, which means that the impact is limited to the poor bastards who are living in those more remote places.

Miss Lilly

I guess Australia is for real men, huh? ;)
Visit Lola's!

Endorphin

I'm not about to argue with that.

Real cyclones, too, apparently.  :-(

Miss Lilly

Visit Lola's!

Sabby

Australia... the only country that can be underwater, on fire, and airborne, all at once, and yet we still blame video games for our ills :P

Miss Lilly

Visit Lola's!