H+: Humans Enhanced (Deus Ex Inspired Group RP)

Started by Swordsman18, September 01, 2011, 02:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordsman18

One of the most recognizable faces in all of the world pops up on the screen with her shoulder length straight brown hair, dark eyes hidden behind sleek glasses, and a nice smile looking at you while Lalange Fantain prepares herself to give her news for the day. The letters “Special Report” appear on the screen behind her, indicating that something truly informative is about to begin.

“This is Lalange Fantain, reporting from atop the Knight Industries building here in Detroit with a Special Report of how far this world has come in the past fifty years since the 21st century began.” She announces this in a slow, coordinated voice meant to be understood, translated, and listened to by millions across the globe. The screen transfers away from Lalange to a video of what the world was like back in the year 2000.

“During the beginning of the new millienia, we were just at the beginning of the technological age with computers, cell phones, the medical field and even cars were still what we would call basic. By 2005, cell phones were just starting to pick up and replace the trusty landline that we had all come to love. Computers had also advanced over leaps and bounds compared to what they once were.”

The screen shifts to show the differences between cell phones and computers in the gap of five years. She allows a bit of a pause for the viewer to see this little graphic before she resumes speaking once more.

“2010 was the year that marked even more change in technology, with cell phones featuring touchscreens and getting ever smaller by the minute as micros processors got better and better. This drastically improved the capabilities of both home PCs and laptops that had once been quite limited by their processing speed. This allowed for the beginnings of Human-Machine interfaces that were still quite low tech.”

There is a video of the first few human-machine interfaces and their operators. It all looks very old to those who live now in 2053. But of course there is a video shown of someone sitting at a holographic computer screen that does not seem to be doing anything but flashing, when really the operator is moving so fast that those not linked up can’t see it.

“In 2020, almost everything featured holographic devices that could project an image on their own, as well as a laser detection system to simulate a button press on a hologram. The first augmentation is made in this year, though it is not anywhere near as advanced as needed for actual human connection. This is the first step that all of these major corporations, such as K.I., took to get to where they are today.“

The blueprints, and then the augmentation itself, is shown onscreen for all of the viewers to see it. It had been an arm augmentation that was built out of steel, though the main problem was the CPU within the augmentation could not handle too much information, so it was not safe to place on a human form.

“2030 was the mark of the fastest set of processors to sweep the globe with their improved CPU power, allowing them to process massive amounts of information in the blink of an eye. The company that had made the failed augment years ago dug it out of their storage and began to get ideas. It was time for them to truly test out the power of the processors. However, they did not truly understand the ramification of their actions, since rejection had not been factored into the equation. This lead to the death of the first augmented man, though that did not stop AN, as they began to work though all of it to find what they needed to get this portion of the new market.”

All of the headlines from the incident are shown on the screen in a collage. It was just the Action NewsNetwork’s way of being neutral on the topic. This was, of course, not particularly enjoyed by the AN at home who, since then, had their fair share of good press for their rather altruistic ways.

“As always, a decade can change a lot of things, such as finding a way to truly bond and make the computer understand inputs from nerve cells that are connected to a human brain. This allows for the augments to be much more stream-lined, since they would react just as the old limb would. Other companies started to see the usefulness of such technologies and the medical field was greatly promoted since it was possible to get accurate readings on pain, have surgeons with permanently steady hands, as well as a full range of nerve transplant surgeries that were then possible to heal degradation and loss of nerve tissue.

A few screens are shown of the neuro-bonding process on an individual, and how it grows to replace damaged neurons so that the area is just as useful as it was before. They show the man form the beginning of the commercial using the arm as if it was his own to prove it worked.

“And now we make it to the current decade where augmentation has hit full-swing, as well as having its opponents. Some say it is the future of mankind, while others say that it is scientists playing God and should be stopped immediately. There are three major players in this new market, where anything from an eye to an arm can be replaced with technology. In this augmented world, there are three major players; the Astagari-Nelovingian Pharmaceutical Corporation, the Tanaka-Yamaguchi-Miyoto Conglomerate (also known as Tym to some.), and finally, one that has recently come into some power, Knight Industries. All three of these companies have a major hold on the market of augmentations, all of them able to produce different quality augmentations, as well as several different purposes, such as the KI headquarters, where they make some of the strongest augmentations around.  It is also rumored that they make military grade augmentations. TYM is good at making augmentations that are inconspicuous, as well as nervous system augmentations. AN is skilled at doing a quality job, though they have been known to help with what are called ‘partial augmentations’. Rather than a full replacement, surgery is done to fix only the damaged area, lowering rejection rates.”

The screen shows three columns, comparing the various statistics of the companies for a short moment before Lalange begins waving goodbye, her trademark smile bright and pearly on her face.

“Don’t forget to visit ‘actionnewsnetwork.com’ for more info on what you just saw here. This is Lalange Fantain, reporting live for ANN, from the top of the Knight Industries building in Detroit. Have a nice night!”

More Action News Network information scrolls down the screen for a moment before the program ends.

This is an RP that is going to be having a conspiracy that is occurring in this world, as well as twists and turns along with actions sequences. Of course, we will have opportunities for other things, such as sex, though that is not the focus of this RP. The GMs, Kite Xiroh and Swordsman18 will have control of all the necessary NPCs to make this RP continue to flow. Let either of us know of the potential NPCs in your character’s lives that you need us to play. These include things such as family members, significant others, or friends. Feel free to create pre-existing relationships with others players, with their permission, of course. We hope to hear from you soon.

This RP is about how seemingly random individuals are thrust into the realm of corporate espionage after they have some critical wound and wake up augmented more than they should have been. This leads them to ask questions of why they were chosen, who chose them, what do they have to do for the anti-rejection medications that all augs need before you go through rejection syndrome, and how they are going to live with all of this bearing down on them. Now understand, we will put you in challenging situations for your character at times, but it is not anything that they can’t handle if they make any myriad of right choices. So do not worry if you have the Vocal Cords aug that  we will throw you in the middle of a firefight or a fight in general.

~Application~

Pleas post it here in this thread.

Name:
Height:
Appearance: (Pic or detailed description or both)
Sexual Orientation:
Detailed Bio (One paragraph minimum):
Augmented Body parts: (Choose just a single aug for the beginning, though remember your character will be able to get more as time passes) Arms, Legs, Head, Nose, Vocal Cords, Sight, Ears, Neuro, Lungs, Heart, Liver.

Kite Xiroh

Co-GM here.

We are ready to start, just as soon as some profiles get it.
Each encounter with me that you survive simply means I let you live.

Starlequin

Sounds cool. Just a couple questions:

Is this going to be a sandbox game, or will there be guided plot development?

Will this be freeform or system-based?
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Kite Xiroh

Guided plot development with a free-form system.

AndyZ

What's Neuro?

I'm imagining some form of superhuman reflexes akin to superhuman speed, or at least, that's what it's supposed to be.  Ideally, it would work alongside the brain to make the human faster and more coordinated than any person could ever be.

I could also imagine a backlash to the problem where the person would start doing things that they didn't intend, simply because the mechanical aspects of the technology were too far advanced for the brain without augmentations to the cerebral cortex.  This would cause such a character to do things without meaning to, such as punching someone when they were upset even if they didn't tell their body to do so (the nerves pick up on the anger and react with superhuman speed designed for combat purposes).

If you have other plans for Neuro, though, I'd like to know.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Foxy DeVille

Sounds really cool, I'd like to give it a shot...

Name: Tess Rasnick
Height: 5'5"
Appearance: Tess looks very aggressive in the media, a fact that causes several people to say "I thought you were taller" when meeting her in person.

Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Detailed Bio (One paragraph minimum): Tess Rasnick is a throwback to a time of mix tapes and kids holding up lighters instead of cell phones. Originally from Detroit, she moved to LA and started the all-girl rock band known as the Tits. The Tit's retro style never got them further than cult status in the US. However, they were a huge hit in Japan and the girls managed to become quite wealthy while maintaining their street cred back home. Tess dived headfirst into the sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll lifestyle. Pushing forty and after nearly two decades of hard living, it all caught up to her and she was diagnosed with terminal liver disease.  Tess thought she had truly lived fast and died young when she found out she had been selected for an augmented liver. Her benefactor chose to remain unknown. With a second lease on life, Tess has looked back on how she has lived her life... and decided to keep living it that way.
Augmented Body parts: Liver

AndyZ

Name: Miranda Veracruz
Height: 5'8"
Appearance: (Pic or detailed description or both)
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual but prefers females
Detailed Bio (One paragraph minimum): Miranda used to work as a live-in maid for the Saturnine family.  Although the title "Executive Assistant" was usually tossed about either to aid her ego or to look better on a corporate spreadsheet (she was never quite sure which), it was far preferable to working as a waitress or being out on the streets.

Of course, all the privilege didn't help her during one of the gang raids.  The news doesn't always cover the "flash mobs" organized by gang leaders to cause chaos and loot whatever they can get, usually specifically designed to counter established law enforcement protocols.  Before that terrible day, she thought that they were just rumors and sensationalized minor events for fiction holos.

She still doesn't fully remember everything, but she can still vividly remember the pain of her spine being broken.  What she does remember is that she didn't fight, didn't resist, and hated herself that she was going to die and couldn't even summon up the bravery to defend herself.

Augmented Body parts: (Choose just a single aug for the beginning, though remember your character will be able to get more as time passes) Neuro
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Kite Xiroh

Alrighty.

All we need are a couple of other players and we should be good.

Sharon

Cold Heritage

I am tentatively interested, but my knowledge of the Deus Ex franchise is extremely limited. Would that preclude participation?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

AndyZ

Quote from: Cold Heritage on September 06, 2011, 02:01:17 AM
I am tentatively interested, but my knowledge of the Deus Ex franchise is extremely limited. Would that preclude participation?

No.  The game is based on Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but you don't need to be well aware of the franchise.  It's a freeform game borrowing from the universe.

((I'm not a GM for this, but this is my understanding, and apologies if I'm wrong.))

Revenent

I'm quite interested as well, but I just want to clarify first whether or not this will spoil anything from the Deus Ex games. I'm currently just a couple missions into the first Deus Ex and plan to play Human Revolution as soon as I'm done with it, so I'm avoiding spoilers as best as I can.

AndyZ

Quote from: Revenent on September 06, 2011, 10:40:00 AM
I'm quite interested as well, but I just want to clarify first whether or not this will spoil anything from the Deus Ex games. I'm currently just a couple missions into the first Deus Ex and plan to play Human Revolution as soon as I'm done with it, so I'm avoiding spoilers as best as I can.

I'm pretty sure that they're only using the setting of the third game.  I know Swordsman18 never played Deus Ex or Invisible War, though I'm not sure about Kite Xiroh.  To that end, I would feel safe that there won't be any spoilers.

Revenent

Well, I'm avoiding spoilers for Human Revolution, too, so I'll definitely need to know if it's safe there or not.

Swordsman18

It is safe to play in here. The world is similar but not the same. There are different people involved and the companies that are involved are also different. We borrowed the idea of Augs and such from the game but even those have different abilities than the game counterparts.

So it is safe.

Revenent

Alright, cool. :-) I'll try to have a character sheet up at some point tonight, then. I'll probably go with the arm augs, since we seem to not have anyone with a combat focus yet.

Revenent

Alright, let me know if you think it's alright. Any details that conflict with your vision can be altered or removed.

Name: Numair la'Sharif
Height: 6'0"
Appearance:
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Detailed Bio: With the popularity of various types of augmentation swiftly increasing as the world went into the current decade, plus the challenges of finding production space in an overcrowded high-economy country where you were opposed by protesters at every turn, it didn't take long for many of the aug-producing companies to decide to outsource much of their base-level production to smaller countries around the world, one of which happened to be the tiny middle-eastern nation of Bahrain. Knight Industries erected a number of factories in the country for its base-level augmentation parts, which could then be shipped back to their main facilities in America to be assembled and customized for the various people who would be receiving said augs.

The main figure behind this decision was actually not a member of KI itself, though, but a young Bahrainian capitalist by the name of Numair la'Sharif. Numair inherited a great deal of money from his oil tycoon grandfather, whose own industry fell years earlier as alternative sources of energy picked up, and decided the best thing to be traded in this new age of the world was something else made into a commodity by its growth: space. He purchased a great deal of land to be built on by command of the highest bidder, that bidder happening to be Knight. Far from the contentions of American protesters, Numair was willing to produce parts for even the secret military augmentations Knight made, though he did protect himself from too much controversy by demanding to oversee the facilities himself so he could make sure worker decency and safety was upheld, as well as by not contracting himself directly to the company, so he could pull away if illegal activities ever came to light.

As far as he was from Kngiht's home base, though, Numair could not be completely protected by the corporation. Though not as many, Bahrain still had those fanatics who zealously believed that augmentations were the work of the devil (or whatever force of evil they believed in), and, being in a lower-class country, they were not as constrained by a strong force of law. On the way to one of his factories one morning, Numair was beset by a group of such fanatics who stole the capitalist away to a dark basement, where they "taught him the error of mangling the god-given body with steel" by, ironically, cutting off Numair's own arms and dumping him back in the street, his life only sustained thanks to the dirty, shoddily applied bandages they gifted him with.

Numair did not return to work after this day, instead going to America to have his arms replaced with a custom pair of augs based on a mixture of KI and AN design philosophy. Once his augmentation was complete, he disappeared into the heartland in silence. To meditate or to mourn, no one but him knows.
Augmented Body Parts: Arms

(To clarify, he's not important within the company by any means, so you don't to worry about explaining why all the plot intrigue is totally unknown to him.)

Swordsman18

Approved Character Thread

FoxyOni, AndyZ, and Revenent please post your characters in this thread.

OOC

Sharon

Name:Abby Mia Thompson
Height:5'6
Sexual Orientation:Straight/don't know that she is bi yet.

Simple of her shoots with Mr. William

Detailed Bio: Abby was a hot up and coming singer back in 2050, which was before her accident happened one night before she went on the stage in front of millions of her fans. She was jamming out to most of her well known songs. It was lots of fun and she was tired  and happy that it went off with a bang. Little did she know that it was her last time on the stage.

As she parted from the backup singers and the band part of the band, she was too hyper and wanted to go out drinking to celebrate a great show. Little did she know; someone that she knew and didn't care too much for was at the same bar that she was in. Lance Granted, another singer in the circle but was in the shadow of her fame. He wanted to get rid of her once and for all, so he could rise to the top of the pile of stars. So, he came over and was being nice to her and bought her drink after drink to the point that she was drunk. He smiled at his work, and got her to come out back of the bar with him, where his sweet act changed to wanting nothing more than to take her out. As she stumbled out side he came up behind her and started to strangle her. She tried to fight him but was unable to get him off. She fell limp in his hold and he laughed, leaving her in the ally.

Only moments after the attack, someone came out to throw away trash. Finding her limp on the ground, he pulled her in to the bar. He tried to get her to open her eyes. She opened her eyes and tried to scream as she remembered what had just happened, but no sound came out. She stopped and looked around as tears started to fall. Her life was over as she knew it. Little did she know, that this guy was known in the well-known circle for the Modeling field. His father was a photographer for a Modeling career, Mr. Tucker William. Mr. William paid for the work done on Abby, and had her sent to AN hospital. She stayed there for about 4 months and her name slowly faded from the music world. Mr. William thought brought hope to her; telling her that her body was great for Modeling.

Once she was out she  modeled for Mr. William for nearly 3 years. Everything was great for her and she was never better. She enjoyed the new voice, but was too scared to sing outside of her shower. She didn't want a repeat of what happened to her; when she was the best of the best, so she stayed with her modeling. Abby was not her stage name; when she was a singer it was Jazmin Casey. But her real name was Abby. As a model she took on her real name.
Augmented Body parts: Vocal Cords