L5R 4th edition Interest Check for A time of Troubles campaign.

Started by Marie Reynolds, September 14, 2014, 11:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marie Reynolds

The premise for this will be an All Ronin game,

Once again the Shadowlands have begun to stir.  This time the flames of war have gripped the major and minor clans alike.  The Crab Clan are so far doing there best to contain the disturbing vision of organized armies of the Shadowlands beyond the Kaiu wall.  The Spider clan banners are seen  as these armies gather so now not just the monsters of the Shadowlands but those of the  infamous, traitorous, and corrupted courtiers, bushi, monks and Shugenja of the Spider Clan as well. 

The most odd thing to come to pass, though, are foreign  flags seen coming through the oceans  of the Tortoise Clan.  A student of Sun Tao bore warning of the advance of gaijin armies from beyond the Burning Sands.  A fleet of three masted schooners, bearing terrible, fire belching weapons powder by Gaijin Pepper  They flew a flag of an empire few had ever heard of, but Unicorn clan historians could identify.

Now for bits that will be crunchy but also help build the fluffy bits.

Feel free to be lecherous just try to be a ronin that has develop a Honorable reputation. Core Book True Ronin Option 1 and 2 are to be used The Disciples of Sun Tao, The Tawagoto's army and the Tessen on Page 234 & 235 
From Enemies  of the Empire Rank 2 Ronin Paths permited are Claws of the Wolf, The East Wind and the Eyes of Nanashi on pages 200 and 201.
Members of  Clans are welcome to be on the Ritual Of Musha Shugyo as the chronicle starts and that is how you can be ronin  of a Major or even a Minor clan in this game but you would not reveal your clan affliation if you chose  this conflict instead of fighting the shadowlands.
From the book of Air The Silken Promises Geisha (must secretly work for the Scorpion ) Master of Games must have ties to the Eyes of Nanashi on pages 179 and 180.
Also on top of what ever Ronin creation choice you make have an additional 25 experience points.

Empress Iweko is on the Throne.  This game takes after Empress Iweko disbanded the Spider Clan and force them into exile from Rokugan.

Muse

*waves* 

Very interests here! 

Either in a Tessen society ronin, or in a sake loving katana girl inspired by Tsukikage Ran.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carried_by_the_Wind:_Tsukikage_Ran

I gather we're going to wind up throwing down with the gaijin while the 'real' samurai focus on the shadowlands? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Marie Reynolds

Yep you will be fighting with the  Gaijin and some spider clan.

Marie Reynolds

Well obviously the Tessen would work and the Ran thing could work as long as it is realistic and gritty.

Marie Reynolds

Please leave cute cat themed Martial artists that are air headed dying in the ditch.

Chulanowa

Oooooh.

Ooooooh

I'm definitely interested, though I admittedly haven't touched the RPG in... in... an embarrassingly long time. I DO have 4th edition though, and so I'm definitely going to thumb through and see what percolates.

Is there any sort of system for the musha shugyo, or is it just as simple as "clan samurai posing as a ronin"? Also, are bushi the only option?

Pumpkin Seeds

:: holds up hand::

Might go a little different here with a shugenja.  Not sure though.

Marie Reynolds

There are no Mechanics behind it is just a fluff ritual for samurai to go on a journey to find themselves and it is a highly respected tradition in rokugan to do so especially among the dragon but  other clans have had their members do it. If you could be interested in any other ronin groups you do not have the books they are in  ill give you the cliff notes version of them.

Marie Reynolds

Pumpkin Ronin Shugenja are welcome! They have some stuff for them in the books I would need to go hunt the pages down but it is always useful having a caster.

Chulanowa

I have the books. I'm a compulsive book collector  :-)

Oh good. if you find those pages for shugenga, I'd like to have 'em  XD I was looking and looking but couldn't find anything for ronin shugenja in the core. Possibly because derp.

Pumpkin Seeds

I am giving thought to a ronin that traces her line back toward a disbanded warrior clan of shugenja.  Perhaps the Boar or maybe Dragon since they had a falling out there with a shugenja line.  Would have to do more research in that respect.

Marie Reynolds

They are in one of the sources books i just have so many and the ronin stuff is so spread around.

Sounds good Pumpkin!

Pumpkin Seeds

The 4e Enemies of the Empire has a lot of information on Ronin.  I want to say Secrets of the Empire also has some Ronin information, but not sure.  I have pretty much every book put out for 4e if anyone needs help.

Chulanowa

Yeah, thanks pumpkin, just found that out via google-fu

Like I said, "possibly because derp" lol

Marie Reynolds

Enemies of the empire Pg 205 has ronin Shugenja. It's not a derp moment when the ronin are spread out so much.

Pumpkin Seeds

Yeah, as much as this edition is an improvement in some areas their organization across books is a little troubling.  I like though that they put all mechanics in the back.

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Via Pumpkin Seeds in Skype Conversationoh...Rel...you wanna play a slutty ronin courtier..and Luna and I can be your bodyguards

...I ran as fast as I could, but I'm here.

Rel Mayer

I can't say no if there are two people wanting to guard my slutty geisha. >:)

Muse

*Laughs*  :)

I don't think Luna's actually seen that proposal yet.  So let me know if you need another. 

Though I'd prefer to be the lecher who wants to have his way with your Geisha.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Muse on September 14, 2014, 02:47:06 PM
*Laughs*  :)

I don't think Luna's actually seen that proposal yet.  So let me know if you need another. 

Though I'd prefer to be the lecher who wants to have his way with your Geisha.  :)
There is enough Geisha love to go around for miles.

But her bodyguards will have to be there - directly in the action - just to make sure nothing gets too rough.

Pumpkin Seeds

Just making sure!  Thinking of going the self-taught route.  Maybe thinking Fire at this point to reflect the warrior ways and a defect with Water and Air.  Just trying to see if this would make more a one-trick pony type than I'd like.