News:

Main Menu

Fun job

Started by Vekseid, September 18, 2010, 07:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Trieste

O_o I would die. I would freak out, fall off, and die.

Will

Quote from: Trieste on September 18, 2010, 11:00:45 AM
O_o I would die. I would freak out, fall off, and die.

For real.  I shuddered just watching it.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

villagelunatic

0_o Monkey bars!  I wana play! ...I get paid, too?
I speak one language. One Zero One Zero Zero. With that I could steal your money, your secrets, your sexual fantasies, your whole life. In any country, any time, any place I want. We multitask like you breathe. I couldn't think as slow as you if I tried. - Taz 'Rat' Finch

DarklingAlice

Climbing tiny little rungs that are constantly exposed to the elements? No thanks. I would be terrified that one would just snap! One of the most terrifying experiences of my life involved climbing an ~30 foot mast to re-run some rigging line, and I was only convinced to do that because otherwise we were dead in the water. I mean I suppose you would get used to the vertigo eventually, but I would never shake the fear of equipment failure.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Will

The most bone-chilling moment for me was when the narrator said that if a storm was brewing, there was no quick way down.  What would you do?  Hook yourself in and hang on until it broke?  Even then, think of the wet, slippery metal on the way down.

Ah god, I'm shuddering again.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Vekseid

"From here it's just another 60 feet to the top" was my favorite line, really.

Jag

Quote from: Will on September 18, 2010, 11:26:58 AM
For real.  I shuddered just watching it.

I couldn't even watch the whole thing. I'm not too scared of heights, but that...no, no, no, no, no...I won't even climb trees, I'm sure as hell never climbing up something even close to that.

*sits shivering at the thought*

I can't imagine the balls that man has to do that. He'd either very brave or very stupid. I'm going with brave and balls of steel.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Noelle

Saw this video earlier and decided to look up some statistics about tower-climbers.

One of the figures I found was that the death rate is 115 people for every 10,000, which is roughly 1%. Pay tends to be about $1500 for a day of climbing, some teams can climb two towers a day if they're skilled, but much of the feedback I read stated that about 60% of that (unsurprisingly) goes towards insurance, and many places have been required to buy about $5 mil. in insurance coverage for tower climbers because of the high risk involved.

tl;dr
NO THANKS. D: AKSLDJFASD STOP POINTING THE CAMERA DOWN NOOOOONONONO

Moreth

I used to be a tower hand in the early 2000's during the great cell phone tower expansion. I have climbed just about every sort of tower, monopoles, wire guide towers, and normal stacks. The company I was with did take safety very seriously and we were always in a harness and lanyard and tied off at least one point at all times. I was not bothered by the climbing itself as heights don't really get to me.

The only things that scared me were repair and maintaining existing towers. The wires that carry the RF to the antennas are large and thick and we were warned that working around these wires that were damaged was a bad thing. RF I was told can heat human flesh in roughly the same way that microwaves work.

Edit

I never climbed anything much over 500ft.

DudelRok

While I've climbed my fair share of trees, exited out of second story windows and climbed up onto the roof of of the ceiling above that second story and done other things.... once we break that 3rd or 4th story you can count me out!

Can't even look out of a window after getting past the 6th floor in most buildings without getting vertigo or whatever it is. Watching that is crazy!

Power to all the cell phone workers and people climbing up ONE AND A HALF THOUSAND FEET of metal without so much as a parachute in case you slip.

Dudel votes desk job! O.O

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Elle Baiser

I am afraid of heights, but I dealt with it by joining a repelling group.  I was terrified, my heart was beating like crazy. After training and learning to trust my equipment, I backed up to the ledge and jumped.  It was awesome!

Xanatos

I once stood at the very edge, very very edge of the Grand Canyon. Despite this, I would say no to a climbers job. I can get freaked out by climbing but its rare and generally only happens when I'm in a precarious situation and I don't have firm control over it. If I have firm control I have no problems cross over/climbing drop offs. I do free form climbing but am not crazy enough to do the really high stuff, no thanks. I will do a few stories no more.

Stormie

0_o oh HECK no! *shivers* I wont even go on a roller coaster!

Salamander

I don't like heights, and I had trouble watching the whole video. Whatever those guys get paid, its not enough.

Stormie

yeah no its not enough at all

Miss Lilly

I saw this on another message board I frequent and then, like now, could not bring myself to watch it. Just the thought makes my knees go weak!
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Saerrael

Aaaah.. >.< Sweaty hands, trembles. So not a job for me.

Wolfy

I can just imagine

*Drops tool*

"...Well.....****."

kylie

Oh, so cute of them not to mention the climbing partner until 4:40. 
I was wondering about that bag swinging below, since the very beginning!  :P

I have a weird relationship with climbing.  I haven't done a lot, but there are some situations where I really love it.  Like, I just love the feel of working over rock...  I have taken some risks to climb it occasionally, just a little more than one should without ropes or help.  But then, I don't enjoy heights where you have to constantly look at the scenery.  Unless you're enclosed; then I don't care...  Gimme an airplane or a rock wall, even.  Exposed tower?  Naah.

Wolfy

Speaking of climbing:

India Monkey King scales new heights

This guy is just amazing. O-o