Driving music

Started by RP7466, February 21, 2012, 06:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RP7466

Few things are defined by music like driving and roadtrips. Just post your favorites

ZZ Top - La Grange

Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll
"It's my only politics... anti-wife. Any woman who devotes herself to making one man miserable instead of a lot of men happy don't get my vote"

John Wayne as Sam McCord

Mordred

Ohhh, have gone through a ton of 'driving music phases'.. Years ago, Metallica.. for a while, Marilyn Manson.. Muse, Bowie.. but, for a small while, I was stuck on Frank Sinatra. Somehow I got it into my head I sounded just like him on certain songs.. yeah.. seriously dig how he perfectly drags out some of those notes. Here is one (of many) I absolutely love to sing to..

(oh yeah.. also Beatles and Radiohead.. where on earth is my brain? damn muse must have stolen it again)..

Frank Sinatra - I've Got You Under My Skin
*See Pillory*

Beguile's Mistress

Driving music for me is something that connects with something inside and pulls the emotion to the surface.

Oak Ridge Boys - Elvira

Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline (Stereo!)

Neil Diamond - Cracklin' Rosie (Stereo!)

gaggedLouise

Four fave tracks, all with that unmistakable road vibe:

Neil Young

Neil Young Crime in the city

Al Di Meola

I don't know if I'd recommend driving to this track, you'd probably overspeed before long, but it makes amazing listening (and watching!) and really has a feeling of journey to it. Killer track.

Al Di Meola - Race With Devil On Spanish Highway/Jumpin' Jack Flash

Kent - This one is definitely a track made for driving - and it is about driving, driving at night with the one you love. Kent have grown to be one of the biggest rock bands of Sweden over the last fifteen years, and this 2002 single gives an idea why they have a big following.

The title, according to the band, was an abbreviation of "Franska Flickan" (The French Girl) aiming at French singer Nancy Danino who provides some backing vocals, but it could also be read as "FöräldraFritt" (Out of sight of parents).

Kent - FF

Kent/ FF - lyrics

White fleeting lights,
just stars between the treetops.
I can see dark houses
and highways, railroads, poles.
Steadily pulsating
on bridges and through cities
And for your sake
we're on the road again

Chorus:
Counting days as years come in
a whiff of the sun, the scent of spring
and soon the rain comes pulling in
to sweep away
Everything that ain't the music
(French, girl's voice:) So far from this world

You fall asleep,
your head against the window
and at your cheek
the haze fluttering like a dream.
I had to blink -
Tears are not my thing, you know,
but for you, babe
I will do anything

/Chorus/

(in French, spoken:) I've lost my bearings
I'm swimming in troubled water.
Take me as far away as possible.
The landscapes gliding by,
the morning fog dispersing -
Thanks to you, I am breathing again.

So far from  this world

and, finally
Isaac Hayes

Isaac Hayes - Ain't That Loving You (For More Reasons Than One)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Tsumi Okazaki

Hmmm. My favorite song for driving is Disturbed "Warrior" though occasionally I wonder if it will lead to road rage.

OrchidofDarkness

Every thing I gave is wasted, and I'm the one whos suffocated.

Grainne

Oh, wow...I think one of my favorite drive songs and bands for that matter is the Doors...particularly "Backdoor Man," and "Riders on the Storm," and "Roadhouse Blues."
Be the change you wish to see.
------------------------------------------------

Mordred

If I was simply pointing towards the essence of what I find most pleasing to hear while moving fast inside a vehicle.. something to accompany this journey (prefer to close the eyes and imagine stars speeding by from an observation deck.. but will lower the expectations and see trees and fields and all sorts of more earthly visions blurring by).. I'd have to say probably really good piano and/or strings. In the past it would have been hard and heavy sounds that would nudge me to drive fassssssst.. but now I highly prefer sounds that wrap around in a more chilled out way. (but do still like the occasional heavy sound.. ohhhh yes.. always will)
*See Pillory*