Looking to Create a New Fantasy-based RPG (Open to Anyone!)

Started by ADoggett, July 12, 2014, 10:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADoggett

Hello!

Recently I have become interested in a few fantasy RPGs, those being World of Warcraft (WOW) and Dungeons & Dragons (D&D), however I am wanting to do a grand experiment by mixing aspects of different lores/character types from these RPGs into a brand new and totally unique lore. When playing these games, I have often contemplated and wondered if this could even be possible, yet it is with sheer determination and curiosity that I'm even going through with this. However, I am only interested in taking aspects of these games into consideration so that anyone who decides to role play can help create a brand new world and lore that will be unique to us collectively. With that said, certain aspects I'm interested in incorporating into this lore comes from WOW; blood elves. However, instead of calling them 'blood elves' in this lore, they will be a race of mercenary/warlock/mage elves who will have different characteristics, (whatever they may be as together we could easily develop something unique!).

With that said, I am simply wanting to mix different aspects of pre-existing RPG lores' together in an effort to create a highly unique yet complex setting for our characters to interact in, yet at the same time creating something original. If you are not familiar with these lores, that is fine! I am only really wanting to take certain aspects of these RPGs into consideration so that we can all create something interesting and noteworthy. I'm looking to create new OCs, new plots, and even new languages, not to mention any other ideas some of you may have of your own.

Before any of us begin any actual role playing, I'm looking forward to simply brain storming as we will be creating this world as we go. With that said, brain storming will include creating new characters, discussing where this RPG will take place (collectively), and most importantly creating a story line for all of us to follow!

* Any pre-existing OCs you have created from any other RPG can be included, but I strongly encourage you all to create new OCs for this role play. This means that if you have a brand new race or occupation that you've personally created or one that you've wanted to role play as, this is the place for that!

*As this is a fantasy role play that is lightly borrowing lore aspects from WOW/D&D, we will be developing a new, unique skill set/professions/power level range for our characters to have. As these ranges will determine how some characters will interact with one another, I'd like to make it a point to not make your character 'too smart', or to put it more bluntly, a 'Mary-Sue'/'Gary-Tsu' type. We're all here hopefully to role play efficiently, have fun, and not over extend ourselves to creating the 'perfect' character as we're simply developing this story line for now, so be open ended please!

*We will be creating NPCs as we go but any OCs/new characters will be PCs of course. :) The level of interaction between NPCs/PCs can be discussed as we brain storm, so let's chat!

So how about we all brain storm?! I'm so excited to see what we all come up with!

NenaShadowslayer

(It sounds fun I would like to...try role playing this game you with to try making with you, if that's alright?)
I am like the Wind, playful and unyielding. I am like the Fire, Strong and swift. I am like the Water, calm and gentle when needed and ruffe and stubborn, also when needed. I am like the Earth, Wise ans quit, always observing, yet never intervening. I am Light, smiling at all I cross. I am Dark, able to destroy all who anger me. I am shadow, a mask that betrays nothing. I am a Magi, Daughter and servant to the moon. I heal the wounded, I protect the weak, I defend my family and friends. I am the daughter of Earth, the mother of everyone. I am daughter to the sun, who bore all man kind. I am friend to the wind, who is always caring. I am servant to Bast, Goddess of cats, and most importantly, I am the servant of Isis, Goddess of Magic, Wife of Osiris, Queen of the dead.

marcopablo

hmm... sounds interesting. What do you think about a foreign world fantasy role play. I really like dragon and creatures like dragons. I could see a character that's an animal trainer. Maybe a story about trying to retrieve stolen dragon eggs. What ya think?

zenpai

I came up with an idea but I am still working on it. The just is it set in modern times. Magic still exist and is practiced. Im still makeing up lore to go with it.
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

EdwardShane

If this is still a possibility, you can count me in as interested.  I'm fairly well versed with D&D, having played a lot of 3.0 and 3.5 especially as well as having read a good number of the Forgotten Realms novels and some of the Dragonlance books.  As for WOW, I never played it....but I can say I have played through both Warcraft 3 and its expansion numerous times, so I am familiar with at least a bit of the lore set in that universe.  I'd be more than happy to bring what knowledge I have of both of these things, as well as any alternate ideas I might have, to the brainstorming table.  Admittedly, I would prefer for it to be in a more fantasy world as opposed to modern, but I can be flexible as needed.

wander

Sounds like the basis for a Dungeon World game... If you haven't heard of it, its essentially a rules-lite game in the style of D&D and you world-build as you go along, gaining xp for answering questions the GM asks the PCs about the world they're in and they map it out as you go along. There's a whole bunch of homebrew classes and races out there, the only issue is you'd need the rulebook to play.

The point is the same though if doing a kind of game like that even in freeform, we have the GM ask us about places and people and things in our backstory and we write about them, everything is canon to the world around us (which is essentially a blank slate until we add our own bits to it) and away we go! :)

Thats my thoughts anyway, really I'd be happy however everyone else would like to do something like this... Either way, I'm interested in playing :)

TaurusBeresford

Color me interested; affinity for tauren (minotaur) chatacters.
I would give [you] the answer if I could, but I be a simple bull, and no bull anywhere has ever given a 'straight' answer!

The Tail of the Tauren

Verasaille

I am definitely interested! I have played WOW since 2008. I have some ideas on characters as well. I would probably go with an elf of some kind. Maybe a warlock. They are pretty interesting in WOW.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

LuciferOs

------- OOC Brainstorming alternative twist on angels / celestials / demons and the mechanics of luck -----------
-------- and character concept ----

Name: Jenifer
Class: Celestial

Celestial \ Demonic in brief

Like most celestials Jenifer is particularly sensitive to the misery of others and is naturally drawn to help others
when distress levels begin to cause misfortune. Like all angels, her longings relate to the balance of fortune which
tips towards what is visualized by those about her. When too many visualize grief, it triggers related events to cause those to stay in grief. Likewise when life is prosperous, harvests are plentiful, enabling those living to stay in a state of happiness.

Locally, when grief exceeds a threshold held by the season (Winter has a lower threshold, summer the most),
portals to the demonic realm open in areas the grief was at its height. Demons are considerably stronger than celestials and endevour to keep grief beyond the seasons threshold and thus the portal to the demonic realm open.

Celestial Abilities

Flight (with 12 foot-wingspan)
  Heal (Three times a day- only arch-angels can resurrect)
  Divine Light (illuminates all colors within 100 feet, causing them to shine)
  Enhance music (Used to make festivals divine (more enjoyable).
  Bless (Powerful but exhausting)
  Empathy (can know the emotional state of people and animals)
  Acute Hearing
  Acute Vision
  Acute Sense of Smell

Skills

Sword-mastery
  Language mastery (can speak ~most~ languages fluently)
  Sing
  Dance
  Play pan-pipes (mastery)

Items

Divine Robes
    (Act as armor as good as chain mail which can resist elements, needs a master-clothier to repair)
Boots
Pan-pipes
Blessed ? Sword and Dagger

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
1 Pouch (Food)
2 waterskin
1 folded sack (empty)
That's right ! Lucifer is a woman !
Active threads
See my role play preferences (underneath my picture) for my ons and offs

RPGDreamer

Heya.

I've been working on developing a group RP myself and I would't mind throwing what I have into the pot to see if it helps.

Here's a map I put together with some likely spots for locations:

And here's the raw map file:

And here's a VERY early list of classes I had begun putting together:

Paladin – A holy sentinel. Defends the weak and wards off evil.

Starting Gear: Iron Broadsword, Heater Shield, Plated Armor

Slayer – A ruthless warrior. Fells enemies with powerful attacks.

Starting Gear: Iron Greataxe, Chainmail

Beguiler – A cunning rogue/mage. Confuses enemies with perception-altering spells.

Starting Gear: Iron Dagger, Leather Armor

Arcanist – A magic savant. Augments reality with arcane spells.

Starting Gear: Channeling Rod, Black Cotton Robes

Devout – A servant of Heaven. Aids the weak with protective spells.

Starting Gear: Pendant of Julianos, White Cotton Robes

Summoner – A master of soul arts. Spends life and mana to conjure familiars.

Starting Gear: Silver Knife, Blue Cotton Robes

Runemaster – A master of the elements. Controls the battlefield and empowers allies.

Starting Gear: Runed Staff, Grey Cotton Robes

LuciferOs

Nice work RPGDreamer ! You managed to capture most peoples roles for the magic side of players

but your missing

a) A type which is good at locks and traps and theifery
b) another that is good at poisons and assassinations.
c) Something like a ranger, who is good at tracking, scouting and good with a bow.
d) Perhaps one who is good at tactics and strategy and leadership ?
e) Another that is good at charming people and lore or rumors and likes playing music ? like a bard
f) One that is good with light fast weapons and thrown weapons and perhaps can use two at a time.

I wonder what others think of our suggestions.
That's right ! Lucifer is a woman !
Active threads
See my role play preferences (underneath my picture) for my ons and offs