Noble Affairs (Pathfinder cloak & dagger campaign) (Closed)

Started by Foxfyr, April 17, 2013, 07:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxfyr

On the surface, things appear to be another normal day in the nation of Alera from the perspective of the average person.  Perhaps there is a little more activity going on in the politics of noble houses and the Senate, but that was hardly uncommon.  Those who were immersed in such affairs, however, knew just how turbulent the times truly were.  Gaius Sextus, First Lord of Alera, had lost his son and heir in a sudden battle with the barbarian tribes to the east nearly a decade ago.  His wife, overwhelmed by grief upon that news, took ill and passed away not too long after.  Though he has since taken on a new wife, the union was entirely a political affair and no new heir has yet been conceived despite the years they have been wed.  Such a thing may not even be possible now that he is well within his late sixties and the High Lords of the land see the opportunity to claim the throne for themselves.  Nobody dares to take matters to the battlefield, knowing that any overt attempt to gain the crown would only brand them as a traitor causing the legions of not only Alera Imperia, but most (if not all) of the legions belonging to the other High Lords to descend upon them.

It is for this reason that the war is fought in the dark alleys, underground tunnels, and wherever else agents happen to cross one another in their attempts to give their patron political advantage.  All this in an attempt to discredit the competency of the current First Lord and other High Lords in an attempt to prove their own worth to rule the land by currying favor with the Senate.  Though, that knowledge is simply the ‘why’ behind what drives you and your group of agents who serve Gaius.  What truly matters to you is the ‘how’.  How to disrupt the attempts of those who wish to turn against your lord through either destroying his power base or, if fortunate enough, burying a dagger in his back in both a literal and figurative sense.  Your missions range broadly from the elaborate balls of the upper crust of society where politics and alliances can make or break individuals, down to the impossibly intricate and vast labyrinth of tunnels beneath the city known as the Deeps where steel and destructive magic do the talking.

The ability to do your job effectively relies heavily upon the ability to maintain your anonymity.  So what better place to remain largely out of the public eye while still having access to the unrelenting tide of rumors that float around the city than a thermae that serves as the covert headquarters to your team?  The establishment is a practical hub of information that is easily coaxed out of individuals whose words are unguarded when relaxing in the baths.  It is there that Daemus, owner of the bathhouse dubbed Bakkheia, leader and advisor to your covert team, an unassuming master spy in service to Gaius resides.  It is from him that you receive your missives while he stalks the gossip-filled halls of his establishment for reliable tips that warrant investigating.

Things to consider before signing up for this campaign:
1) This isn’t going to be a sexually driven campaign.  While there will be room for character romances, seduction, and honey pot missions along the way, but sex is going to largely remain a secondary aspect of this campaign.  No smut please.
2) Keep in mind this is a subterfuge campaign that will largely be taking place within an urban environment.  That said, I don’t want a party full of Rogues and Rogue archetypes; in fact, I will only be choosing one Rogue class in the party at most.  The best way to secure a spot in this campaign is to be creative with builds, archetypes, and feats in a way that is not only well suited for cloak and dagger stuff, but also unique in a way that intrigues me.  I will always choose an interesting character over a min-maxed character.
4) Roleplay is going to be a huge aspect of this game; diplomacy rolls will only help to engage in a conversation, but dialogue is where the real magic happens.
5) I will be playing a healing character in this campaign, so don’t worry about filling that position.
6) Place ‘porcelain’ somewhere in your character submission so I know you read these guidelines.
7) You can hold off on distributing your skill points, selecting your gear, and other detailed things until you get selected so you don’t spend a ton of time only to have it be for naught.  Please submit a Myth-Weaver or Plothook character concept.
8) Teamwork is very important for this campaign, there will be a number of Ocean's Eleven-esque missions that will need both creative puzzling skills as well as someone to take a proactive leadership role when on said missions.

3-4 Players (that will be selected by me from the list of applicants rather than first-come first-serve)
Pathfinder (anything in the SRD aside from psionics, firearms, and 3rd party stuff)
Setting: Ancient Roman-esque society
Any core race.
Starting Level: 6
Hit Points: Max first die, roll for the following 5 levels (reroll 1s)
Starting Wealth: 16,000gp
25 Point Buy
2 Traits from different categories

NicciKotor

Huzzah! How does a urban druid sound? Also...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
‘porcelain'
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

MrBubbles

Definitely posting interest! Cloak and dagger campaigns are always fun, especially in a setting that's not blatant Medieval Fantasy.

I'm thinking of making a Bard, although I must ask... Would the lute and other tools of the trade be available to me, or am I going to have to break out the Cithara and Sambuca?

Ooh, or I could have Perform (Comedy) and tell jokes that enrage foes and strengthen friends! After all, can't spell slaughter without laughter...

Also Porcelain.

Callie Del Noire

Might be interested....

Porcelain

Depends on party composition.

Foxfyr

@ Nicci - Urban Druid might work; I'm not ruling anybody out and will assemble the best team from the characters provided.

@ MrBubbles - Bard could most certainly work in this; as far as instruments I would certainly encourage ones that are more unique and relavent to the era.

Rhaegar14

Hmm... I know in the guidelines that it says core races only (porcelain), but would you be willing to consider a Tiefling? I have a pretty cool story in mind for one.

As for build, Dervish Dance Magus with some appropriate cross-class skills, utility spells, and Magus Arcana (such as Arcane Cloak).
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

Foxfyr

Unfortunately tiefling does not fit into this world space and it wouldn't work too well to try and incorporate them.

Dervish dancer could certainly make a good addition to the party.

NicciKotor

Quote from: Loki Aesir on April 17, 2013, 09:32:52 PM
@ Nicci - Urban Druid might work; I'm not ruling anybody out and will assemble the best team from the characters provided.

@ MrBubbles - Bard could most certainly work in this; as far as instruments I would certainly encourage ones that are more unique and relavent to the era.

That and I can go classic fighter chick who doesn't mind at all kicking in doors and murderin' people for a contract killing. Always wanted to build a female Goemon, which is easy enough to do with enough fighter levels. This is my primary choice since I play too many spellcasters as is.

godfang

I LOOVE Roman settings. Can i play a half Orc (like a gaulish savage tribal type of character, with ornate tatoos) Enslaved Gladiator? He'll be the intimidator and muscles. Archetype will obviously be gladiator.  He'll fight in the arena wearing a porcelain mask, so his identity will be quite safe from the crowd. If he is freed or treated fairly by his master, he will be very loyal and would kill anyone he is told to kill.

Also, he can try and get favors for his master in the arena? Win the public over and give his master the recognition

The second character i can play is a former Legionaire, so he's familiar with military tactics (the class he takes will be the fighter's tactician archetype, which will give him the tactician ability to help the party operate). A lead from the front type of guy, he's always ready to fight in the frontlines while at the same time coordinating the team's effort.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=555005

Ebb

I think a pseudo-Roman setting sounds like a neat change of pace. I'd like to submit Salnius, a human oracle (seer), with the Lore mystery. What's more Roman than a semi-mad oracle? He's haunted by spirits and obsessed with prophecy, but his heart is in the right place.

In the "Ocean's 11" model, he's the information gatherer and social enabler. He can also provide healing, which I know you said you had covered, but perhaps this would free you up from that obligation. Though he'll need help in a fight he can throw around a few helpful but non-lethal spells to make combats end more quickly. Plus he can get off a Divination twice a day, which ought to be perfect for helping us swallow plot hooks.

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12114

Oh, and 'porcelain'.

godfang

Yukina

I think all make a half-elf sorcerer, the magic coming from her father's drow bloodline. (Ill be back in several hours)

NicciKotor

What I have done for now, waiting for approval for the next bits.

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12115

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Going to be hard finding a decent pic to fit this theme, but that one gets pretty damn close.

I basically built her to run into the middle of a fight, do a whirlwind attack, and sunder everyone's weapons at the same time.

Yukina

Quote from: Yugishogun on April 18, 2013, 12:28:47 AM
I think all make a half-elf sorcerer, the magic coming from her father's drow bloodline. (Ill be back in several hours)

The conception that will make her interesting is this. While her father was an escaped drow wizard, her mother was a powerful human barbarian. I plan to make my character (Sara) a person who takes after both her parents' ways. There will also be some funny stories about her parents occasionally.

Yukina

Quote from: Yugishogun on April 18, 2013, 12:43:18 AM
The conception that will make her interesting is this. While her father was an escaped drow wizard, her mother was a powerful human barbarian. I plan to make my character (Sara) a person who takes after both her parents' ways. There will also be some funny stories about her parents occasionally.

Oh, and porcelain.

Yukina

Florence

If there's still room I could throw something together for this :O
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Callie Del Noire

Hm...

Two ideas come to mind.

Luagh Hammerhand. Dwarf Inquistor/ranger (or fighter). Marshall/Magistrate from one of the High Alp clans, sent down into the Empire Proper to lend a hand and provide a channel to his Clan and Lords. Truthfully he cares little for human politics but worries about stability. Without a strong line of succession, war comes. He is split on that but honors his oaths to his Elders. For now he aids the allies of his kin, listens and reports to them.

Rose. Half Elf Fighter. Had she been human, she would have been an officer in the legions eventually. Had her father chosen a human woman of merit, she'd have been a legate or other person of influence. As it is, Rose has only her name from her father, along with his strength, cunning and willpower. Service in the legions taught her that merit without patronage got you to Sergeant at best. If she wanted more than a handful of acres, a mule and a meager ration of grain and coin after her service she would have to put her blade to use for less savory duties.

Foxfyr

@ Finn - enrollment is still open if you want to submit a character concept

@ Callie - all the core races find their home within Alera, in the borders beyond are less civilized and inhabited largely by monsters or barbarians of one kind or another. While humans are largely the race that runs things, there has been enough cohabitation to blunt the edge of most racism among the core races, largely replaced by classism. That said, your first idea idea as far as backstory may not work since those who are selected as part of this group owe their allegiance solely and entirely to Gaius. The last thing one wants is to have agents with split interests doing his dirty work and otherwise gaining access to information that could compromise his status as well as his safety.

Florence

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=555221

Porcelain :U

I know you said we didn't have to worry about skills and whatnot, but... well, I like making characters, and also, I wanted to run through it and make sure my character idea would actually pan out the way I wanted it to and whatnot. No point submitting a concept then finding out a can't actually do what I wanted.

I didn't FINISH the character, though, still need fill out equipment and her formulae list.

Essentially the idea I had was that, looking over the characters presented so far, there's a no one thing lacking that any good story of political intrigue and subterfuge needs. A poison expert. :3 So I came up with an elven alchemist, who specializes in poisons. She's not exactly charismatic, being the sort who cares more about her research than dealing with people. That said, she knows enough about social expectations, that she can probably manage to blend into a crowd if needed. She's intelligent and dextrous, both of which come in handy, I'd imagine, when dealing with delicate and volatile substances, though she is somewhat frail, not exactly built to take a punch.

She's true neutral, with her main concern in life being the furthering of her research. I assume that working for someone like Gaius provides her an opportunity to further her research both through the resources she can access as well as the simple opportunity for... well, practical application testing for her creations.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Yukina

Foxfyr

I'll be making my decision on the party tonight, but there is still a few hours left for any last minute entries.

NicciKotor

Quote from: Loki Aesir on April 18, 2013, 08:46:31 PM
I'll be making my decision on the party tonight, but there is still a few hours left for any last minute entries.

Horray for Cookies!

Yukina

Quote from: Loki Aesir on April 18, 2013, 08:46:31 PM

Yay. I hope my tomboy may join your party.

godfang