Dungeons and Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited

Started by Darkpoet, February 04, 2010, 09:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkpoet

So, I've played many other MMORPGs (WoW, CoH/V, Eve, EQ II, FFXI, Warhammer, AoC, Anarchy Online, and pretty much every major free one out there), and I always come back to DDO. For all of its (many) flaws, it has something awesome that all the rest lack, and whatever that thing is...it has kept me playing for 3 years while no other MMO lasted me more than a few months.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else around here has played it.  Maybe I'm just bias for D&D, but, whatever DDO has, I can't stop playing it.

DarklingAlice

I have never been able to keep up with an MMO since I stopped playing text based MUDS when I graduated highschool. However I do have to give DDO credit for holding my interest the longest out of any I have tried, and while I didn't play it for more than 2-3 months I do have fond memories.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

HairyHeretic

I played it during the beta testing. It was alright, but I didn't like the way it forced teaming in order to get past a certain mission.

And yes, I know the idea is that you would be teaming with people in an MMO, but that should be a choice, not a requirement.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Darkpoet

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 04, 2010, 11:26:28 AM
I played it during the beta testing. It was alright, but I didn't like the way it forced teaming in order to get past a certain mission.

And yes, I know the idea is that you would be teaming with people in an MMO, but that should be a choice, not a requirement.

They are making the game more and more solo friendly these days. Normal difficulty scales to party size now, and they have a "casual" difficulty built for soloing/small parties. I've always enjoyed trying to solo quests that are not designed to be soloed at the appropriate level...makes me feel like player skill actually makes a difference in how the game plays. I think that's why I turned away from most other MMOs, as it feels much more like a matter of my numbers vs. the enemy's numbers in those other cases. I can see your complaint though, I have an account to LOTRO just for when I want to mess around, or don't have a lot of time to get a group together.

Myrleena

I play it, on the Thelanis server primarily.  I enjoy the game, and find that you can get through almost any quest with a henchman.  Not that they're smart, but...they work.

Darkpoet

Quote from: Myrleena on February 04, 2010, 03:05:50 PM
I play it, on the Thelanis server primarily.  I enjoy the game, and find that you can get through almost any quest with a henchman.  Not that they're smart, but...they work.

I recently switched to Thelanis after taking a bit of a break to get married and what not. Haven't been playing as much due to work/school, but I've got a capped FrS/monk splash now.

And I agree, I finally got around to making a fighter, and I've been finding it much easier to level him now that we have cleric hirelings.

Myrleena

Oh yes.  I have a 7th level fighter that does...pretty darned well.  I'm just trying a variety of things now.  Fortunately, my girlfriend and I both play casually, so we play together a lot.  And I got through one of the 'must party' quests with a henchman.  I could have done it on my own, if it didn't require one person to pull a lever and another to pull a different lever to let them out and catch up.

Darkpoet

Yeah, I bring along a henchman when I'm leveling random alts and need to go through Delera's. Lately, I've been too busy to deal with getting a group together and all that so I've been doing a lot of soloing/duoing.

sinera

I've been dragged by my guild through a couple of MMOs - they're actually one of the founding guilds on Sarlona. One of the guys bragged about them being on the fountain in the harbor - haven't looked yet, though.

I enjoy DDO, but there are a lot of quests you can't get through unless you're in a group. Of course, if you get hirelings through the DDO store, you can have a whole party all by yourself LOL.
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

hgb

I have been playing DDO on and off since beta. I enjoy the game despite it's flaws. I play on Thelanis, if anyone needs anything feel free to ask, I'm not rich by any means, but I get by.

I currently have: Sorcerer (20), Barbarian (19), Ranger (16), Sorcerer (10). Those are my main toons anyhow. I do have a couple lower guys.

Darkpoet

Quote from: sinera on February 06, 2010, 03:27:08 PM
I've been dragged by my guild through a couple of MMOs - they're actually one of the founding guilds on Sarlona. One of the guys bragged about them being on the fountain in the harbor - haven't looked yet, though.

I enjoy DDO, but there are a lot of quests you can't get through unless you're in a group. Of course, if you get hirelings through the DDO store, you can have a whole party all by yourself LOL.

I was originally on Sarlona, but had to take a break from the game. My guild there suffered a great deal of drama, so I moved over to Thelanis to start anew when I was ready to come back. I wasn't able to play the beta, but I pretty much started playing as soon as the game was released. I haven't been able to get in to another MMO as much since.

I've found pretty much any quest where you don't have to pull multiple levers at the same time is soloable on the right build. I've been working on various incarnations of favored souls for soloing purposes.