The Last Airbender sucked

Started by Dunnuck, July 01, 2010, 01:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunnuck

@ Wolfy

I know they did. I just copied and pasted the review from what I put on facebook. And in the show, it is not three years. It is about sixth months, in time for the summer solstice. But yeah, they mentioned it, but they mine as well of just changed it all together since they stupefied what it does.

Being a fan does help with analyzing the movie, but people should be able to see that it is some ass when they watch it. As a fan, yes I paid attention to the bending. But 5 guys to move a tiny rock? Then another guy raising a slab in one motion? That stupid 'logic' is used throughout the entire movie and anyone with a half a brain should be like 'fuck?'. It seems some people are getting "fans" mixed up with people that don't have an attention span of a fish. I mean come on! The movie is bad! All the good is this: Music, sets, scale, outfits, and occasionally the cinematography. Everything else is bad! Which accounts for 4/5s of the movie! Come on! 

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 04, 2010, 04:05:03 AM
Technically there's four 'books', but two were compressed into a single season, hence 3.

Why would there need to be a fourth book?  I mean, Aang already knew airbending, and each book dealt with a specific element?  (I only ask because when it was still in 'new episodes', I had briefly wondered about a 'book 4'.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jag

So yeah...went to see it last night...it wasn't great, but it wasn't overly terrible. I'm relaxed with movies though. I can find the good in just about any movie that isn't outright stupid or filled with butt jokes.

Though one thing really made my eye twitch...Katara and the way she said the word 'Avatar'...also the mispronouncing of so many names. It's not like a book where names could be debatable. There was a TV show with their names spoken in every damn episode.

And what's with the Firebenders not being able to create fire? Even the most low level of firebenders in the show could do that. *shrugs*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

RedMoonRising

I agree with Michi. I actually did like the movie, despite its drawbacks. My biggest beefs with it were the mispronunciation of names and the somewhat sub-par acting (Noah Ringer and the girl who played Katara didn't impress me too much), but I think the biggest issue is that, simply, it's an entire season of an animated show compressed into an hour-and-a-half live-action movie. It's a foregone conclusion that it won't be as good as the series that it's based off of, so I went into the theatre not to see an adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender, but just to see a movie, no bias involved. As an adaptation, yes, I think it certainly did drop the ball, but as a movie I thought it was rather good and, dare I say it, I'm considering going to see it in 3D.
"Learn to pretend there's more than love that matters"
Indigo Girls - "Love Will Come to You"

My Ons and Offs (currently under construction)

Jag

Quote from: RedMoonRising on July 11, 2010, 05:41:25 PM
My biggest beefs with it were the mispronunciation of names and the somewhat sub-par acting (Noah Ringer and the girl who played Katara didn't impress me too much)...

While Noah Ringer probably looked the closest to his source character, I did really enjoy how into it Dev Patel seemed as Zuko. And while Shaun Toub didn't look like Uncle Iroh, I think he did well with the part (very relaxed till he's forced to act). Other than those two...yeah, the acting wasn't that great. I do hope that Azula goes completely nuts by the end of it. That would be nice.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Sethren

LOL I don't care that this hasn't been touched in ages, I'm responding to it. Simply because a bunch of people and myself were just recently talking about screw ups of books being made into films and other related stuff with film and this.

This one killed me when it came out.

I was a very big fan of the animated series. I get it, not everyone's cup of tea but it was one of mine!

The movie was horrendous and the official excuse to explain how and why it was done the way it was?

It was based off of the play that the characters saw of themselves at some point in the series...Which also, had been done horrifically and was factually inaccurate and based off of rumors about the characters and their journey's thus far. The characters had hated it too lol.

So...NOPE. I hated it. Was right up there with a let down like Eragon and now, modern day - the Dark Tower movie.

I can't sleep and can't focus enough to write my stories so I'm just spamming these threads that I find interesting lol.
                           I am accepting quilt commissions right now to make ends meet.

Oniya

Wait - they actually tried to claim it was based on the play?  I remember seeing a joke about how the 'play episode' was a prophetic review of the movie (Well, that sucked.  Eh, the effects were decent!)  (Besides, Shamalamadingdong's movie had even less to do with the play than it did with the rest of the animated series.  Dude couldn't even get the pronunciation of the characters' names right, despite the fact that there were audio samples!)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sethren

Quote from: Oniya on December 19, 2021, 03:21:36 AM
Wait - they actually tried to claim it was based on the play?  I remember seeing a joke about how the 'play episode' was a prophetic review of the movie (Well, that sucked.  Eh, the effects were decent!)  (Besides, Shamalamadingdong's movie had even less to do with the play than it did with the rest of the animated series.  Dude couldn't even get the pronunciation of the characters' names right, despite the fact that there were audio samples!)

That's what I've heard over the years, dunno if that's confirmable. The mere idea that it's even possible just has me in giggle fits! I was so excited for it too, so I'm still mad, a decade later that it was a total flop.

On the subject of Avatar the Last Airbender, have you seen the kickstarter for a rpg style game for it? I can't wait for it to be released! Totally buying it.

Oniya

I think I saw that mentioned over in System Game news - I don't have a tabletop group any more, though.   :'(

Sethren

Oh nooooo, the sadness!

I mean, I can't talk. It's only my fiance and myself and occasionally a friend when he comes in from out of town to visit us and his family.

I think it can be played between two people? I need to recheck. I will march my anxious and awkward ass to the game store down town and beg people to play with me (not a video game store, a dice/rpg game store where they hold D&D sessions and card competitions, etc.)

RperSeeker69

Well it has been a while since this was posted in and honestly not sure the movie has aged well all things considered, plus, there is now another live action attempt in the series which is another discussion altogether.

I will share my thoughts on the movie, it was, quite bad really. There is no sugar coating it. The movie just couldn't hold a candle to the animated work which when it comes to adaptations in itself is a tricky venture altogether. They just couldn't hit the marks and given the scale that the Director was facing going into it...he likely had high hopes to at least finish it off with the two remaining volumes into film. Suffice to say the Director has moved on but this trash of a film still exists for people to go back and watch again and again and who knows maybe after so many viewings they will change their opinion. 

Will it ever see the big screen again? Highly doubtful and again the series is out there now.

Oniya

Little Oni has commented that the 'play' episode (when the Aang's gang sees the Fire Nation troupe perform a rendition of the story so far) is the first case of a review coming out before the movie:

'Well, that sucked.'
'The effects were pretty good.'