Looking for steam punk suggestions

Started by coolhands, August 13, 2011, 09:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolhands

Hi everyone.
I am a huge fan of steam punk and have been really getting into the culture of it.  I really want to start reading books and watching tv or movies that have a steam punk theme.  If there is anything like that, and you would like to recommend it, I would be extremely grateful.

Oniya

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen had a slightly steampunkish feel to it.  I'd also recommend the music of Abney Park, specifically 'Airship Pirates' - and one of the guys from the band is apparently working on a roleplaying system based on a steampunk concept.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

coolhands

That is really cool.  I have listened to Abney Park, and i really liked their music.  Is the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen the movie you are referring to, or is it a book or some thing.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: coolhands on August 13, 2011, 10:10:49 PM
That is really cool.  I have listened to Abney Park, and i really liked their music.  Is the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen the movie you are referring to, or is it a book or some thing.

I watched the movie, so I think Oniya is referring to that.  Also, Sherlock Holmes has a slight Steampunk 'feel' to it to.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

coolhands

Ya I really liked that movie, and am very excited for the second one.

Oniya

Yes, that's the movie.  Sherlock Holmes varies - the original is just straight Victorian.  The new one is straight modern.  I've never met a Sherlock that I didn't like, but I'm not sure he fits with steampunk.

Also - second one?  *perks*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: coolhands on August 13, 2011, 10:22:12 PM
Ya I really liked that movie, and am very excited for the second one.

There's going to be a second one?  I so didn't know that lol.

This site might help you.

Quote from: Oniya on August 13, 2011, 10:24:54 PM
Yes, that's the movie.  Sherlock Holmes varies - the original is just straight Victorian.  The new one is straight modern.  I've never met a Sherlock that I didn't like, but I'm not sure he fits with steampunk.

Also - second one?  *perks*

I wouldn't really define it as steampunk either, but it had a flavor of it, but than again I'm not really knowledgeable about the whole Steampunk genre.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Silverfyre

If you enjoy anime, I recommend checking out "Last Exile".  It has a very steam punk setting.  Also, the movie (anime and original) of "Metropolis" is steampunk-ish.

Craz

Tin Man, the Sci-Fi adaptation of the Wizard of Oz, has a very steampunk feel to it.

Oniya

Steampunk, generally speaking, is genre where modern-day conveniences are powered by clockworks and/or steam engines, rather than by electricity or internal combustion engines.  There's a tendency among people who work in the genre to use somewhat Victorian fashions, as that would be in keeping with when the tech level.  That, and Victorian fashion is inherently elegant and neat-looking.  ;D

coolhands

Thanks for the wiki site, its really great

Yes they are making a sequel to the Sherlock Holmes movie.   It looks really good.
Here is a link to the trailer:

Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows Trailer 2011 HD

Oniya

Oh!  I thought you meant a sequel to League.  (They actually did bat that about around - some of the original cast was even interested - but it didn't go anywhere.)

Yay for more Sherlock!

coolhands

Quote from: Silverfyre on August 13, 2011, 10:31:03 PM
If you enjoy anime, I recommend checking out "Last Exile".  It has a very steam punk setting.  Also, the movie (anime and original) of "Metropolis" is steampunk-ish.

I read a bit about "Last Exile" it sounded cool but i never got around to watching it, i may have to now.

Silverfyre

If you have Netflix, it is on there.

coolhands

Has anyone seen the tv series Sherlock.  I have been wanting to check that out for a long time now, but i don't really know if its any good.

Oniya

It's excellent.  Sherlock transitions very easily into a modern setting.  He ends up sort of like the Gregory House of forensics, though - completely antisocial (as he was in the original) and too smart for his own good (as he was in the original).

Another good steampuck series would be Michael Moorcock's 'Nomad of the Time Streams'.  (Can't believe that one slipped my mind.)

Kunoichi

The anime Steam Detectives has an interesting sort of 'steampunk Batman' feel to it, with some nice mecha action added in for good measure. ^^

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Oniya on August 13, 2011, 10:33:57 PM
Steampunk, generally speaking, is genre where modern-day conveniences are powered by clockworks and/or steam engines, rather than by electricity or internal combustion engines.  There's a tendency among people who work in the genre to use somewhat Victorian fashions, as that would be in keeping with when the tech level.  That, and Victorian fashion is inherently elegant and neat-looking.  ;D

See, and here I thought Steampunk had to have the use of anachronistic technology, and Victorian era fashion/art/ideas, etc.  See I learn something every day :D

Also, this is random, but on my first, and only, foray on Second Life, I stumbled on a few Steampunk locations, it was very interesting.

[EDIT] 

I just realized that my first sentence might come across as sarcastic, it wasn't meant that way, I was being genuine.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

coolhands

Wow these all look like really great suggestions.  I am going to have to check all of this stuff out.  I think i will defiantly try watching Sherlock now too.

Oniya

There are some truly classic scenes where Sherlock interacts with this female morgue attendant, who seems to have a crush on him.  I'm hoping that PBS Mystery will pick up the second season soooooon!

Callie Del Noire

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack.

And  the 2nd season of Sherlock isn't out yet Oniya (October/November damnit!)

Chris Brady

Here's a small tabletop game/adventure that could easily be mined for Steampunk stuff.  Not to mention that they have a book expanding the setting.  http://www.onesevendesign.com/ladyblackbird/
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

coolhands

Thanks for the link that looks really cool.

Chris Brady

It's a cute little setting.  The only issue is perhaps, what sort of Steampunk are you looking for?  There are variations of it, after all.  Lady Blackbird, for example, is very 1940's style Steampunk, where uniforms, military/nobility, and generally advanced steam tech prevail.  If you're looking more gears and pronounced steaming boilers, I can't really help you.

If you're into anime I'd suggest Full Metal Alchemist for a glance at mid-tech level with Magic.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Missy