Writing Prompts & Crazy Questions

Started by MasterMischief, January 24, 2014, 11:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterMischief

I know we would not disqualify an applicant simply because they refused to answer writing prompts and crazy questions.  However, shouldn't we let them know that in order to decide whether or not to approve them they need to interact with members?  Or did I miss that in the instructions?

Beguile's Mistress

There is a sticky at the top of the Introduction forum that gives new members information regarding the approval process.  They can also ask questions of Mentors if they need more help and Mentors and Staff do follow up and nudge new members if we see something they may be missing.

Does this answer your question, Mr. Llama? :-)

MasterMischief

Beguile's Mistress

You're welcome.  I'm happy I could help.

MasterMischief

When I applied, I did not read through all of that.   :-[  I doubt I am the only one.

Beguile's Mistress

Some do and some don't.  Many have forum experience and have been writing for awhile so intuition kicks in.  Others, like I was when I applied, can use the help.  Also, when we see things that can be enhanced or someone points things out to us Staff will do a bit of fine tuning.  We do love our tweaking. ;D

HockeyGod

Quote from: MasterMischief on January 24, 2014, 11:20:06 AM
When I applied, I did not read through all of that.   :-[  I doubt I am the only one.

Guilty. I gave my private email in my intro post.  O8)

Ryo242

I would like to add in another question regarding asking members crazy questions and prompts.

As I'm rereading this thread... I'm noticing it says that we, as current members, are not to "claim" newbies or ask them more than one question at a time (To which we are also not to add more than a total of three questions awaiting answers).

I understand this.

I would like to know if there is a set limit to the amount of questions one can ask overall of an applicant, should an applicant be answering questions faster than people can give them to him/her (ergo, they ask for more questions from a specific member or more in general).  If not, I would like to propose that a set maximum limit of three questions from any one member asked to another, while still following the asking one at a time and not piling on past three awaiting.

I'd also like to ask about the limit that crazy questions can be crazy.  I recently asked a question that was taken down and given a warning when I attempted to respond and ask about the similar questions I asked that morning to discover if they were also "too crazy".  Not pointing out names, not shifting blame.  I am attempting to rectify future situations for all members who wish to actively participate in the Introductions Thread.

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to an informative response.
The Awkward Shrug for when I have to blow you off and you need to know why.
Lightswitches to my heart and more.
Ponycurious? Why is this guy always so happy?
Tools of Fun:  "Goddess Catching Net" (made by Acme Corporation)
Click here for story ideas

Autumn Sativus

There's no limit on questions to be asked by one person because sometimes an applicant will take a longer period of time through the process and will require more than just a friendly question or two for us to get to know them.

The main thing is not to monopolize an introduction. Whether the applicant requests more questions or not, when you've only see yourself asking them numerous questions in the past few posts, they are being monopolized. This discourages other (possibly shyer) members from venturing into their application and also discourages the applicant from venturing out to find out more about E. It also doesn't give us a very good scope of getting to know them since we are only seeing them interact with one person. Part of the process does involve patience, there is no need to fill up every moment of that time with a question.

Also, the process that applicants go through is meant to be one that is fun for them while allowing us to get to know them better. Some questions are too personal, or too far beyond the scope of 'getting to know you'. Something too in depth or too far 'out of the park' so to speak, sexually oriented, or adult in other natures (like gory or violent) isn't really appropriate.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Beguile's Mistress

We ask that members not overwhelm newcomers with crazy questions in their intro threads.  We also ask that they limit their time in the Doormat as that is the only place applicants have to socialize with each other.  Brief interactions are best.  The types of questions are meant to be friendly and make the applicant feel welcome but never to make them uncomfortable.  We ask members to keep in mind that the Introductions threads are open to the public and to use good judgment when selecting topics for questions and discussions.

If Staff feels questions are inappropriate we'll contact the approved members, or Mentors will, and ask for some consideration from them as to what they are asking.  We may also ask them to moderate their behavior to be welcoming but also allow the unapproved space to interact with as many people as they can.  If a new person is approved there is plenty of time to approach them and offer friendship or the chance to role play.