The Hunt for Damien Nightstrider(High to Epic level Pathfinder)

Started by Mystic Dragon, February 05, 2011, 08:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystic Dragon

Be careful with becoming a crafter. Big advantages to start, big drawbacks when it comes to making items on the fly. For instance, where are you getting your refined mithril, big diamonds and other high-cost components? Forging your own blades, arrows, etc? That's even before we see crafting times of 80 days or more.
"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
"In our world, all the Redheads have chainsaws"
"Nightmares never last. One day you wake up and they're gone"

Callie Del Noire

Which is why I moved to those skills to make the stuff and minimized the crafting feats and added a LOT of metamagics (and might do more as tweak things out a bit more)

Thundering and Lingering metamagic is fun for crowd control.

Delta Echo

O&O - A&A
Southern Gentleman of the Arcadia Clan.

"When the world is against you, find the passion of love to survive"

Myrleena

There is a reason I put up a sample sheet in BBCode in the Character thread... ^_^

Myrleena

And still more information on the setting is now available in the OOC Thread.  I highly recommend looking at it, and more bios will be entered there as I receive them.

Callie Del Noire

89750 g for spells. woof.

Why is no one taking the million? (curious)

Myrleena

In my case, because it doesn't make sense for my character, and on the other hand...why in the hells would I trust ANYONE who's offering a contract with that much up front?  It has to be a setup.

Callie Del Noire

I'm split between greed and the same. :D Of course given what my character LOOKS like..she's usually hiding behind a disguise.

Myrleena

*shrugs* So's my character, but...she just isn't the type to do it.  She'll go after him, mind, but she doesn't like the idea of being forced if she takes the initial payment.  She's been burned by that a few times.

Callie Del Noire

Delta Echo

O&O - A&A
Southern Gentleman of the Arcadia Clan.

"When the world is against you, find the passion of love to survive"

Chloe Milev

Oh, the old game always looked interesting to me.  And I like experimenting with epic things, even though I'm usually to direct to understand the centuries of devious planning that the real immortal epic things have already woven around me.

I was thinking of a Red Wizard with a Thayan Knight cohort, unless we need some non-arcanists just to mix things up?

And how does the monstrous character thing work?  I don't really understand "gaining an extra class level as you progress equal to 1/2 CR rounded down."  Would it not be CR + class level = 16?
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Callie Del Noire

IF I understand it right.. (Using an Erinyes as an example, CR 8) it would be a CR 8/2 = 4 + 12 class levels = 16.

Myrleena

A bit on the plot first: If you look through the original game you'll see some hints of what was going on, though I don't recommend doing so so you can be somewhat surprised by things.  However, the plotline has changed somewhat.  I literally cannot say more than that, as I didn't know much about the original plot, and know almost nothing of the new one.

Now, as for the monstrous character bits...it's a suggested optional rule from the back of the Bestiary.  The rule is not always balanced, so we may choose to reject some attempts with some of the choice possibilities.  The lower the CR of the creature, the more likely it is to work properly.  That said, I'm going to try to go through it below.

Taking an Erinyes as an example: An Erinyes is CR 8, and thus would count as an 8th level character to start.  Once the party has gained 3 levels, the erinyes gets an additional level for free, which doesn't count against her level.  This level is gained midway between 10th and 11th level.  So she would, for example, be an Erinyes (8) Ranger (4) at 11th level.  You can gain a number of extra levels this way equal to half the monster's CR, rounded down.  So a Succubus could gain a maximum of 3 levels extra (7/2=3.5 or 3).  But said Erinyes would gain her 2nd free level between 13 and 14, making her an Erinyes (8) Ranger (8) even though the ranger counts as Ranger 6.  We simplify this by pretending that the Erinyes CR dropped.  Now, as her next free level would come at level 16.5, just before 17th level, she hasn't gained the full benefits of this rule yet.  The last free level would be gained at 19.5.

This means that the most levels the Erinyes could have at game start would be 10 levels of whichever class she chooses, looking like this: Erinyes (6) Ranger (10).  Mind, the monster still retains all monster hit dice and gains feats based on the total hit dice, so she'd technically have 19 hit dice between Racial and Class Hit dice, and feats as appropriate for such.

Callie Del Noire

Thanks for the clarification on my part (of course the other example I was looking at was a pit fiend and it was clear from him that the higher up you go..the more broke it is. :-D )

Myrleena

Pretty much, yeah.  In fact, my personal opinion (which Mystic may overrule) is that any attempt to try a monster with a CR higher than 8 will be outright rejected.  On the other hand, I'm certain that some that are below that number are broken, which is why it's just a recommended optional guestimation, not an actual rule.  And why we're willing to boot any that look too potent.

Myrleena

I've updated the info in the OOC Thread again...seems that the Hidden Eyes guild has only been around for about 7 years. >.>

Zaer Darkwail

Hey, is there spot left for this game? I was in the original one as crusader/cleric who owned inter-planar ship.

Myrleena

So everyone is aware, we're still looking for players...look to have about 4 players for the actual hunt group ATM.

Thorn14

Thorn14

GM Person? Is an Investigator Rogue okay? It sounds fun, and thematic.

I'm coming up with items now. Also, is a glamored +5 Mithril Chainshirt okay? or should I just copy Myrleena and get the celestial armor too?

Callie Del Noire

Can't have too many folks like Myrleeena in my opinion. :D

Myrleena

I mostly got the Celestial Armor because it has the highest Max Dex bonus I could find with a decent armor bonus.  But as soon as my Dex is raised by 5 points, it'll be pretty much worthless...have to switch to Bracers of Armor +8.

Chloe Milev

It is unfortunately in the Dragon Magazine Compendium, but there is Silk Armor:  5000 gp, +3 armor, max +8 Dex, -1 penalty, 5% failure, 15 lbs, enchanting it takes half time, and even non-masterwork armor can be enchanted.  Enchant that with Nimbleness (+1 ability, max Dex +1, penalty -2), which is also, unfortunately, in the Magic Item Compendium, not Pathfinder.  Ah well.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Zaer Darkwail

I do wonder about enchantments, as few of those enchants and weapon augmenting crystals could be very handy even in Pathfinder. Also some items which are decent priced and have unique functions (arcane scoundrel lockpicks which allow bonus to disable device with return of sacrificing spell slot). Not to mention runestaffs for sorcerers.